What's your Fav Firewall? (1 Viewer)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
I've had ZoneAlarm for a long time, and I know it's still one of the best, but I'd like to try a newer one, but I really dont know much about its alternatives.

What firewall software do you use and you recommend that i switch to it from zonealarm? Why?

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
My favourite Firewall is the one I use, Netcomm NB5540 Wireless Firewall Router

:D

Hence I don't use a software firewall, but I've heard BlackIce Defender, Tiny Personal Firewall and Kerio Personal Firewall are decent

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I use clarkconnect myself, also had good experience with Smoothwall. But both are meant to be installed on an old beat up box you can use for firewall/internet sharing in a small network. :)

OP
Majed

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    thanks guys.... :)

The real reason why i'm asking is because I've just installed DC++ and I've previously heard that Zone Alarm messes up some downloads.

So, I've been relying on XP's firewall for security for the last couple of days. Also, my PC's more valnurable now that I dont even have a hardware firewall. My roomies and I had a home network set up and our LinkSys router was our first line of protection. Now, I have my own connection and I need a [DC++]-safe firewall that isn't made by microsoft. :D

anyhow, I'll research the pros and cons of clarkconnect, BlackIce Defender, EZ and Tiny Personal and comepare their results with ZA.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    So, I've been relying on XP's firewall for security for the last couple of days.
    :scared: you left out the words "Microsoft Windows"

bahraini

May 20, 2003
    I've had ZoneAlarm for a long time, and I know it's still one of the best, but I'd like to try a newer one, but I really dont know much about its alternatives.

What firewall software do you use and you recommend that i switch to it from zonealarm? Why?
    well, zonealarm is good, but it makes the pc little bit slow...
    i havent tried many ...

but i think norton firewall is good...

by the way, majed , i installed dc++ too , but it didnt connect
    i tried many ways, and change the settings but i failed..
    can u help me on this?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I use DC++ too, it's great because it's a hub for my ISP, and the traffic from that hub doesn't count towards my 10GB monthly limit :extatic:

Maybe you should try switching to passive mode, or open up some ports for DC++ to use

venom

Oct 22, 2003
    I run Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5:cool:

I think the latest is 4.x or something, tested it once, way too heavy. If I had to change that Kerio 2.1.5 my pick would be Tiny Personal Firewall.

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
    Im using Windows XP Firewall. Whats wrong with it? Whats the point of getting Zone Alarm? I hate firewalls because you always encounter problems with them. Could any one post an article on the importance of firewalls and why to use them, becuase thats one area im tottaly lost in.

Im getting a router soon though, which will feed interent to my pc and my sisters, so will that have a firewall in it?

OP
    Majed

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    ++ [ originally posted by PersianMafia ] ++
    Im using Windows XP Firewall. Whats wrong with it? Whats the point of getting Zone Alarm? I hate firewalls because you always encounter problems with them. Could any one post an article on the importance of firewalls and why to use them, becuase thats one area im tottaly lost in.
    according to what i've read, MS XP's firewall does the job. you dont need anything more than that. the only problem with it is that it doesn't have many options for you to configure. not many log files to show what's going on and who's tring to hack. It just does the basic blocking... good enough, but many people like extra features..
    as for myself, I just dont trust MS.

Im getting a router soon though, which will feed interent to my pc and my sisters, so will that have a firewall in it?
    yes.. most routers do have built-in firewalls (hardware firewalls). they are better than softeware firewalls in that that dont take up resources. so, your fine.

Jan 7, 2004

according to what i've read, MS XP's firewall does the job. you dont need anything more than that. the only problem with it is that it doesn't have many options for you to configure. not many log files to show what's going on and who's tring to hack. It just does the basic blocking... good enough, but many people like extra features..
    as for myself, I just dont trust MS.

who trustes ms but everyone uses ms

OP
    Majed

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
  • Thread Starter #15
    ++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++

who trustes ms but everyone uses ms
    you wouldn't believe how many people there are who think MS is something great. They're the ones who always go for the popular and dont do much research.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    I use McAfee professional 2004 for a software firewall, and my Syslink router also has one built in as well. Am I overdoing it??

OP
    Majed

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
  • Thread Starter #20
    ++ [ originally posted by Andre 3000 ] ++
    I use McAfee professional 2004 for a software firewall, and my Syslink router also has one built in as well. Am I overdoing it??
    if it's not much of a problem, you could get rid of the SW firewall, though i would recommend having both.

since you have a router, you probibly have other computers connected to the net at home (other "nodes" on your home network). It is possible that your PC may get infected witha trojan from the other PCs on the network or even from your own pc (through email or something). anyway, if you have a SW firewall, it would block that trojan from linking back to it's sender.

In other words, to answer your question, NO, you're not overdoingit. if the SW firewall doesn't slow you down, keep it. There's no harm in a bit more secuirity, speciallt if you have important file on your PC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)