What's on your desk right now? (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Another bs thread.. not feeling creative tonight.

Except the usual monitor, speakers, headphones, cd case.. a complimentary WindowsXP SP2 cd (my coaster), a box of vitamin c pills, the Dec issue of "Linux Journal", printed copy of lecture #2 in the c++ course I'm taking, "The latex web companion", a stack of unused post-it notes (had these for years, never use them) and a bunch of papers.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Turdhead

Chickenegro no funny
Jan 14, 2005
futurama dvds, laptop, stereo, tv, half of the plates from the kitchen, all of the glasses from the kitchen, some clothes, phone, gloves, sprite, blank cds, crappy copper change that accumulates, vodka (opps), smokes (opps), my phone, my hand, and a box of lloyds bar matches :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
A pair of AE Jeans, an AE belt, and other miscellaneous things within.

Oh, my laptop is where it should be. Right on my lap...

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #4
    laptop, stereo and tv? how huge is your desk? or do you stack it all? :D

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    At work:

A mouse pad, a box with business cards, an old crappy phone, candy which I never eat, calendar, all kinds of stupid forms, my pack of sigarettes, USB stick and a lighter.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    My lab PC, a box of lego and electronics, a roll of masking tape, two training golf balls (I don't play golf), the case from a torch someone gave me, my coat, notes from todays lectures in digital communications and filters, plus from discussions with four lecturers about a number of things, an MIT Handy Board, a small toolkit, a robot, two bottles of water, a pair of AC/DC adapters, three soldering irons, an oscilloscope, a spectrum analyser, some sort of signal generator I've never seen before (and have no idea who it belongs to), an IR beacon plus associated oscillators, a plate of sandwiches from lunchtime (leftovers from the postgrads statistics lecture dropped down to us poor final years and the wrapper from a piece of gum I was chewing yesterday. Oh, and my bicycle is standing behind me, leaning against the workbench.

Yeah, I bet you weren't expecting that. :D

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    On Desktop: Laptop, Mouse, Speakers, External floppy drive :dazed: , pda cradle, cd stack, modem, unsorted incomming mail, outgoing mail, cup of pens and stuff, checkbook, stapler.

On sliding keyboard shelve: 10's of used Post-its with random notes, 2 legal pads with more random notes.

Side of Desk: External HDD.

oh, and a case that holds a wrist watch that my dad gave me 8 years ago.

Pretty basic...

Turdhead

Chickenegro no funny
    Jan 14, 2005
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    laptop, stereo and tv? how huge is your desk? or do you stack it all? :D
    Actually it is a huge desk. Its from wall to wall. Like one of the smaller walls in a rectangle room. Not the wall with the door. If you get what i mean :D Not wide, just long.

Its great though, i used to store stuff on the floor :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Blandest ] ++
    I heard on tv that putting laptops there isnt good for the old sperm count :D

Firing blanks? :D
    Its not resting on that specific part of the anatomy, "Blandest." You do not have to worry about that. ;)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    lego? mindstorms? :D:cool::cap:
    :) Yes, my final year project involves designing the local equivalent of MIT's 6.270 course for 1st years. roborugby.org if you're interested.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #13
    Actually she's right about that, balancing a laptop on your lap increases the temperature of the general region which is unhealthy.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Actually she's right about that, balancing a laptop on your lap increases the temperature of the general region which is unhealthy.
    General region, as in the right side of my leg, not over the package? Its not like its a mantle. :rolleyes:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Bah, 0.2 degrees Celcius after an hour on your lap. I think we can manage short bursts.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #16
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    :) Yes, my final year project involves designing the local equivalent of MIT's 6.270 course for 1st years. roborugby.org if you're interested.
    That sounds really cool. I had a course like that as a freshman, not quite as elaborate, was more basic stuff like make sure it doesn't fall off a table etc. Final competition was do something more creative with it, my group came up with a lameass idea to "show" smilie faces with it based on an interactive session on the computer screen. Another group built a very basic scanner with it.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #17
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

Bah, 0.2 degrees Celcius after an hour on your lap. I think we can manage short bursts.
    Look, I didn't make this up, feel free to ignore it if you want to.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Look, I didn't make this up, feel free to ignore it if you want to.
    I know. I read the study. The heating effect strikers me as trivial unless you use a laptop pretty much 8 hrs a day. There are far more important factors impacting on male sperm counts in the western world. Unfortunately, no one's quite sure what they are. One suggestion is the amount of chemicals (including estrogen), we now drink, eat, absorb through our skin, etc.

Here's a nice little article on the whole little thing (he does quote the laptop study):
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/050128.html

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
    Last count there was 16 cans of coke (empty). Hard to beat the fresh taste of a cool can from the vending machine. :D

Apart from that, just some girlie thingys (no not those or that)

Now wheres the whats on your floor thread? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)