What would be your reaction if............. (1 Viewer)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
With all the controversy regarding doping in sports nowadays ie Blasi, Kallon and Ferdinad in football and in athletics where Dwain Chambers was found to have used drugs to improve his performances while about 5 as at yet unnamed American athletes are believed to have failed a drugs test

Allegedly a lot of athletes have been taking THG but they was no technology to detect it until now

What if footballers and more to the point your favourite footballer or team is now found to be a drug cheat, how would you feel about the sport?

Call me Mr Cynical but with all the money being poured into football, I just wonder if some poor soul does not deem it fit to break the rules

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Whether use of drugs is widespread or non existent, I hardly believe it's limited to one club, one player or one league. If it turned out several of our players had been taking performance enhancing drugs, I wouldn't believe for a second that they're the only ones.

OP
denco

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    Say its widespread and every club or most clubs are using it, what would you think of the sport in general

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Oh right, I suppose I didn't answer the question. Well if it was widespread, then the playing field would still be relatively even. Let's say the ability to succeed currently depends on talent, physical fitness (advanced medicine), coaching, tactics and dedication. In the new doping climate you could add the ability to apply as many performance enhancements as possible without getting caught, so that only makes the sport even less centered around personal ability, more about the supporting cast doing their job as well as possible (like rally I guess). Surely it would be nice to succeed on ability alone but that's hardly realistic anymore and every club is doing what they can to get results, whether they're crossing the line or not.

So it wouldn't have much of an effect on my interest in the sport.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Widespread then you can talk about cycling where it's tour or championship is marked with many athletes being found positive. Luckily they still have athletes like Armstrong who don't use drugs and yet win constantly which proves that sacrifice and work is what makes you a true champion.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    Widespread then you can talk about cycling where it's tour or championship is marked with many athletes being found positive. Luckily they still have athletes like Armstrong who don't use drugs and yet win constantly which proves that sacrifice and work is what makes you a true champion.
    Does it though? Do you know what Armstrong's eating, have you seen his diet? Do you know what his doctor prescribes? Winning means so much that some people would do anything to win, we've heard there are methods of doping that are currently undetectable and I wouldn't be surprised to hear in 5 years that back in 2003 a lot of athletes were on drugs, only we didn't know about them or didn't know how to check for them.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Wel Armstrong has never been caught using any illegal substances and considering how strict they are (check the latest Championships in Canada where the eventual winner was caught using drugs). Armstrong is really an excellent example to use against drugs. He came back from that life threatening sickness and fought his way back to the top just with his own strength. One of a kind.

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    if that happen Dencoman, i'll hump a statue of a lady

i will in distraught. what if clubs like Everton and Leicester(clubs that play shit football) are the only ones that survives this investigation?

then we all will forever be watching boring crap man :down:

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    Wel Armstrong has never been caught using any illegal substances and considering how strict they are (check the latest Championships in Canada where the eventual winner was caught using drugs). Armstrong is really an excellent example to use against drugs. He came back from that life threatening sickness and fought his way back to the top just with his own strength. One of a kind.
    I don't see how any athlete can really be more of an excellent example to use against drugs than any other athelete that hasn't been caught using doping. You can't be "cleaner" that clean, if you know what I mean...

I have a feeling the whole doping thing is a lot more complex than the average sports fan (like me) knows about. It's quite scary.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by tarmpropp ] ++

I don't see how any athlete can really be more of an excellent example to use against drugs than any other athelete that hasn't been caught using doping. You can't be "cleaner" that clean, if you know what I mean...
    I used Armstrong as an example since he's the number one athlete in cycling so he's a good example for use against drugs, know what I mean?

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    I used Armstrong as an example since he's the number one athlete in cycling so he's a good example for use against drugs, know what I mean?
    I understood why you used him, but the point is that he is just as good as an example as Jan Ullrich or Iban Mayo, you can never be 100% sure that he's not doping free. That he's the best doesn't matter at all IMO.

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    With all the controversy regarding doping in sports nowadays ie Blasi, Kallon and Ferdinad in football and in athletics where Dwain Chambers was found to have used drugs to improve his performances while about 5 as at yet unnamed American athletes are believed to have failed a drugs test

Allegedly a lot of athletes have been taking THG but they was no technology to detect it until now

What if footballers and more to the point your favourite footballer or team is now found to be a drug cheat, how would you feel about the sport?

Call me Mr Cynical but with all the money being poured into football, I just wonder if some poor soul does not deem it fit to break the rules
    I've considered this before and i think that it's totally possible, what you say, so i wouldn't be surprised if it happened to such footballers/teams that i like.

Basically my view on this is that......

Alex is right "Surely it would be nice to succeed on ability alone but that's hardly realistic anymore and every club is doing what they can to get results, whether they're crossing the line or not."

Of course i would like for players not to take drugs and it is wrong to do this.

It is just another form of cheating, just like taking a dive but worse cos it evolves with technology. And this situation isn't going to go away. I mean, the dream of sportsmen competing in a fair and totally drug free envioment is just that.... a dream..... 100% drug free is next to impossible.

The best thing they can do now is to scare people off dooping..... how??? Life time ban like what the US intend to do. What will happen after this??? All the conventional drugs that sportsmen commonly use now will be wipped out. There will be a new generation of drugs like THG ...... and drugs that break down into totally undetectable forms.....So there will be a race between creating the undetectable durg and the science of detecting it.

So to sum it up.....

Face it. Dispite the fact that i don't want sportsmen to take drugs and i feel it's totally wrong, this dooping issue has been around for a long time and it will not be going away although it's unfair and it's cheating.

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #16
    Martin are u telling me you wont be heartbroken if you heard daffy duck failed a dope test

But in all seriousness what if Dp fails a nadrolone test or Nedved or Buffon or Zidane
    Id be devastated personally

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Martin are u telling me you wont be heartbroken if you heard daffy duck failed a dope test

But in all seriousness what if Dp fails a nadrolone test or Nedved or Buffon or Zidane
    Why? They're only human after all.

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    You don't think it could lead to early deaths or disability
    I mean Maradona is just 43 and Harrison Ford is 61 and compare the 2
    If it is proved that doping is widespread in the sport how can you possibly marvel at their skills if at the back of your mind , you are thinking its not naturally done

And a little kid watching these guys and wnat to be like or them or dribble like em, how can they possibly think its possible without the use of drugs

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

I would think these are the realities of the game..

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    You don't think it could lead to early deaths or disability
    I mean Maradona is just 43 and Harrison Ford is 61 and compare the 2
    If it is proved that doping is widespread in the sport how can you possibly marvel at their skills if at the back of your mind , you are thinking its not naturally done

And a little kid watching these guys and wnat to be like or them or dribble like em, how can they possibly think its possible without the use of drugs
    Well I'm against the whole worshipping of tv/sports personalities in the first place. Secondly, I think they should do whatever they feel is best on this topic. I mean, it's their body, their call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)