What is Free Software? (2 Viewers)

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #23
    ++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
    mmmm

for example.. si somone want to send me a file in microsoft word document...whay can i do?
    Tell him to save it as a rich text document (rtf). At least if you want to edit it, otherwise html is fine too.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #26
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
    Anway openoffice.org does a good job of opening ms word documents AFAIK
    Under certain circumstances yes. Not always though. And with Office2003 out now, who knows what we have in store for a new and "improved" doc format in the future, proprietary xml or whatever they're plotting. In the long run you just can't bet on OpenOffice handling whatever Ms comes up with gracefully. :undecide:

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

Under certain circumstances yes. Not always though. And with Office2003 out now, who knows what we have in store for a new and "improved" doc format in the future, proprietary xml or whatever they're plotting. In the long run you just can't bet on OpenOffice handling whatever Ms comes up with gracefully. :undecide:
    openoffice is the free one. is it any good?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #30
    Missing the point ;)

Free as in speech, not beer. Financial cost isn't the point. :)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    Great Article Martin :thumb: :)

explains the wholes issue nicely, without personal remarks or insults. I like this type of an argument.

As someone mentioned, it may be a bit far fethched. but i think it's good to know the worst case scenario and how we may eventually be complete pupits. :)

It's good to continue to spread the word about open source before some of those scenarios fully develope since the Judicial system is so far behind on these issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)