What is atheism all about? (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I'm pleased that we have a religion forum now.

As a follow-up to verynine's successful thread that opened with a debate I figured there's enough interest in the topic to present some answers to what atheism is.

Personally I've read three authors on this, they're all very well known and have had bestsellers in recent years. So if you want a kind of reference you can mention that people will recognize, these are it.

Richard Dawkins (biologist) - The God Delusion
Sam Harris (neuroscientist) - The End of Faith
Christopher Hitchens (journalist) - God is not great

Now if you're like me, you won't bother to find out who these people are, what the books are, where to find them, and actually read them, just based on me having mentioned the titles.

This is where youtube comes in. Unfortunately, the prevailing copyright regime is such that the copy barons demand stuff being taken down whenever they please, so it's hard to give any links that are sure to stand. I had two for Sam Harris that were great, but they're gone now. The upshot is youtube has a search engine, so use that. Here are links I found today.
  1. Sam Harris, 23min talk about the implications of faith
  2. Christopher Hitchens, 1h talk based on his book
  3. Richard Dawkins, 1h 40min two part talk based on his book
  4. Sam Harris & Chris Hedges: Religion, Politics and the End of the World 9 part debate
  5. Christopher Hitchens: The Moral Necessity of Atheism (1/8)

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #4
    was it sam harris that wrote Letter to a Christian Nation? That's a great place to start
    Yes, although I found that book rather trivial. It was sort of a dumbed down version of The End of Faith "for those who don't get it".

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    I've never been that interested in pure atheism though. To the intellectual it is, in most cases, more appealing than believing in God, but agnosticism is the only thing that's really fair. More importantly I think that anyone who is the least bit intelligent is always somewhat of an agnostic, because even if he does believe there is something out there, he must acknowledge the fact that he might be wrong. I'd like to read more about the subject though, which one of the three would you say is most worthwhile?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #8
    I've never been that interested in pure atheism though. To the intellectual it is, in most cases, more appealing than believing in God, but agnosticism is the only thing that's really fair.
    Agnosticism is sort of the naive variety of atheism. I know where you're coming from, I used to be there too. If you read Dawkins he explains why atheism is a more rational position.

More importantly I think that anyone who is the least bit intelligent is always somewhat of an agnostic, because even if he does believe there is something out there, he must acknowledge the fact that he might be wrong.
    Fundamentalists are people who say that no matter what evidence you present to them, they will never change their mind. I am not a fundamentalist, and none of the atheists I've encountered are fundamentalists. So your point is dismissed as a strawman, because noone is denying it.

Furthermore, people who think that atheism implies fundamentalism are just plain misinformed.

I'd like to read more about the subject though, which one of the three would you say is most worthwhile?
    Harris is the one I agree most with. Reading any of these books is basically reading an attack on religion. And people who are hurt by this are quick to point out things that are flawed or they don't agree with. I don't agree with everything either, nevertheless I think all three authors make a lot of good arguments (more than half of each book I do agree with).

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
    You should try reading Hitchen's take on Mother Theresa life and achievement. :D

The name of the book is Missionary position

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #10
    I looked for it but I couldn't find it. It's quite obvious what he thinks of her based on the comments I've seen him make elsewhere.

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
    I looked for it but I couldn't find it. It's quite obvious what he thinks of her based on the comments I've seen him make elsewhere.
    If you want it, i'll mail it to you :)

And any other book i have.

NB: I mean REAL, book not audio books :D

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    I would think most people are familiar with Richard Dawkins of those 3 (I know I am), interesting and clever fella, even if tad too aggressive at times.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #15
    I would think most people are familiar with Richard Dawkins of those 3 (I know I am), interesting and clever fella, even if tad too aggressive at times.
    And so very angry. I wish he'd lighten up a bit :D

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
    you guys have no idea :D

Richard Dawkins is concerned, not angry.
    When i read his definition of Bible god in God Delusion, i couldnt stop laughing for a while. The worst part was that all he said in that one long sentence was true.

I'll be back with a youtube links

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
    Dawkins replying on question why is his style so...well, rough :D

Dawkins reading his hate mail from turn the other cheek christians

Dawkins on "what if you are wrong?" question

This is part the question time after one of his lectures. It lasts 70 minutes and its a must see. Half of the crowd asking questions are from a creationist university.

This video was made by someone and i found it hillarious. Has everyone involved, (Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, Hitchens & PZ mayers). A must see :D

Jun 26, 2007
    Harris is the one I agree most with. Reading any of these books is basically reading an attack on religion. And people who are hurt by this are quick to point out things that are flawed or they don't agree with. I don't agree with everything either, nevertheless I think all three authors make a lot of good arguments (more than half of each book I do agree with).
    I don't care about religion. How can talking about religion result in any philosophical conclusions?

I found a debate that truly explains why I told verynine I thought his debate was boring and somewhat lame. This one is what I would suggest is a good debate.

Daniel Dennett debates Dinesh D'Souza
    "My" debate? This was the first debate, even the first real source of information, I ever came in touch with regarding this subject. You have obviously read and heard a lot of stuff about this, but you must admit that the debate I posted is interesting for "beginners". And by the way, how many people here on Juventuz do you think are able to understand the things said in that debate? Half of the thread people were talking about stuff like Jesus turning water into wine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)