What happened to our defence? (1 Viewer)

KeNgO

Oct 28, 2002
i saw mexes in a couple of games! and honeslty he didn't impress me much!!! after all the hype i heard about him from people in this forum i thought he would be the perfect defender!!! but honestly he is just another decent defender! perhaps i have to see more of him to judge him properly!!!!

as for marques i also think not too highly of him when i saw his games!!!!
the only person i was realy impressed by his game was chivu!!!! he is excellent! Fast! reliable, young and best of all
a central defender and a leftback!!!!
but unfortunatly i don't see us landing him as he would probably cost alot and we all know juve don't like to spend! specialy with all what is going on right now concerning the stadium! most of our money is being invested over there!!!
although my first choice will always be chivu! i don't think we have a good chance of landing him!!!!

i do agree on the fact that we need to do a major upgrade for our defense!!!!!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
mexes is a great defender for his age,you must watch him more to make a proper judgement though.very patient defender who never rushes in when in precarious situations.

KeNgO

Oct 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
mexes is a great defender for his age,you must watch him more to make a proper judgement though.very patient defender who never rushes in when in precarious situations.
i did say that!

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by s0ftcore ] ++
let's just play iuliano and fresi to save some money :p
That will cost us money when we don't waulify for the champion's league, then get relegated.

DAVIDZ

Sep 15, 2002
I had seen this coming for a while now. Even though we have the fewest goals allowed in Serie A for a few years now, I was always very worried about our defense. But I guess management didn't want to mess with it since it was doing the job DOMESTICALLY.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Glen ] ++

Well- Maldini isn't exactly dragging Milan down now is he Denco?
Ferrara hasn't exactly been our worst defener now has he?

I think EVERYONE agrees that we need more pace down there, and everyone would love to get one of the really good young players around. But when you see the pairing of two of Italy's most promising defenders- Ferrari and Bonera... really- while they are physically better performers they hardly look more solid or convincing than Ciro-Montero do they? At least- there's not alot to suggest that they are.

As we already have Tudor I'd really like to get a new starter to partner him, but I would not hessitate to play Ferrara for a second if we got a pacey and classy guy to back him up. Not next year either, and no matter the opposition (unless of course Ciro next year is totally different from this year and the last- you never know). Virtually no one leads a defence like our Ciro. He is performing match after match after match.

In the case of Zambro/Pessotto I think much is remedied by simply playing Pessotto against the teams likely to put our defence under real pressure, while Zambrotta gives us a fine offensive boost when playing less competent teams (like Inter :howler: ). Seriously- Pessotto shuts down his side and contributes little in offence. Zambrotta gives alot to offence and is a liability in defence when the opposition is strong. But against at least 10 teams in serie A this is not much of an issue. We have so often been annoyed with the lack of support from the flanks, and Zambrotta can help give us that. Sure- a 'real' left full back would be nice, but he has to be real good to give a boost over the tactically flexible duo of Pessotto/Zambrotta. Such players are often costly, and if we don't get that real quality central defender- I think it's pointless upgrading left back that is working quite alright as it is. I'd much rather get Mexes and not a left back than get Bonera and a left back for instance.

Ciao.
Maldini indeed is not dragging Milan down but he can be rated as one of the most complete defenders of all time

Ciro is good and has done very well but its time to move on, if we want to move onto bigger stuff like Cl as whether you like to hear it or not SerieA is not what it used to be at all and there are at most 5 quality teams and a lot of very average teams and so many downright poor, and I do not know about you but winning the league is not as glamorous as it used to be and to test your mantle u need to perform on the Cl stage

My point about Milan is that players like Baresi , Costacurta and Maldini where there for so long and the powers that be never tried to find replacements and hence now they are playing the likes of Kaladze, Simic etc

Take a gamble and get the very best young talent out there and stop resting on your laurels as this team is stale, I am not syaing Ferrara should be sold or whatever but should he playing every crucial game? With teams who attack constantly, with pace he will be found out but in Serie a, of cos he gets by, that does not mean we ought to stand still and wait until everyone else gest all the young defenders

Btw of what use has Fresi been to us this season anyway? In your opinion, is he a good buy as if he cannot come close to dislodging Montero or Ferrara, what use is he?

Glen

Aug 26, 2002
Denco; In all of this I'm only on one thing and that is proportions.
When Ferrara has been our best central defender two years in a row, I'd like to go down the list and replace someone else than him. I think that's logical, and hence I don't understand comments on replacing Ferrara, when there are several others to talk of before him. From your posts it seems we agree that Ferrara shouldn't be in the starting lineup automatically next season, but that doesn't mean he couldn't still be a an expert choice for many games. Not to me at least.

++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
My point about Milan is that players like Baresi , Costacurta and Maldini where there for so long and the powers that be never tried to find replacements and hence now they are playing the likes of Kaladze, Simic etc
Indeed- That was foolish and Baresi reached the point where he tarnished his legend by playing an absolute crap 1½ years, where for some reason he couldn't be substituted.
I would rather that Juve get's the young star we all agree on, and keep Ferrara as first or second sub. Who better to ease someone new into the organico, and at the same time provide strong backup? But it seems to me we actually agree. I just take it as a given that we have to buy one starter for nbext season, and at the same time we should move Tudor back into defence. Whether that is going to happen is somethng else. But anyways- I'd play Ferrara over anyone in the current squad for central defence, since Thuram is on right back.

++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++Btw of what use has Fresi been to us this season anyway? In your opinion, is he a good buy as if he cannot come close to dislodging Montero or Ferrara, what use is he?
No- I never understood why we got Fresi unless we wanted a 3 man defence, in which case he's one of serieA's very best sweepers. I just wanted Ian to be proportionate and stop on the absolutes. Any talk about relegation with a centerpairing of Iuliano and Fresi is absurd as they hold real quality both of them. Fresi in my view hasn't let us down, but he has hardly played so it's impossible to rate him. I hope he's sold and that we get starting material instead. After all- we got him on a free, so in that sense it could turn out to be good business if nothing else.

Ciao.

s0ftcore

Jul 13, 2002
haha, i don't think that with fresi and iuliano, we can get relegated. i mean just now there were talks of a big and slow defender *iuliano* and a small and pacey one *fresi*

besides, iuliano isn't crap. he must have learnt something from ferrara and montero :LOL: i mean he's national team material!

fresi has proven himself at bologna before his arrival at juve. and was he crap at bologna?

haha, but it would be cool seeing iuliano/fresi play just one game... curious how things would go about.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Glen ] ++
... and Iuliano/Fresi are, I take it, relegation strugglers material?

Ciao.
'twas a bit of an exagerration, but there not really going to help much, you know?

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by s0ftcore ] ++
haha, i don't think that with fresi and iuliano, we can get relegated. i mean just now there were talks of a big and slow defender *iuliano* and a small and pacey one *fresi*

besides, iuliano isn't crap. he must have learnt something from ferrara and montero :LOL: i mean he's national team material!

fresi has proven himself at bologna before his arrival at juve. and was he crap at bologna?

haha, but it would be cool seeing iuliano/fresi play just one game... curious how things would go about.
Iuliano isn't too bad ..common guys.

right now, he's better than Montero

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
sell them all.......bring in chivu, bonera and mexes...not to mention Marquez!!

tudor, mexes, bonera, chivu and marquez is a great future

althought we would be stuffed with experience next season:D

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
that change is too drastic..

This should be good:

Thuram--Tudor--Mexes--Zambrotta

Zenoni--Bonera-.Iuliano--Pessotto

s0ftcore

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Adrian ] ++
sell them all.......bring in chivu, bonera and mexes...not to mention Marquez!!

tudor, mexes, bonera, chivu and marquez is a great future

althought we would be stuffed with experience next season:D
dream on.

Ahmed_

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2002
our defence is not that bad ........... they are just old

if bonera comes or leggoratilia(i'll never know how to spell his name) we will be ok...........

our young defenders in the reserves are not bad for the future,too.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Ahmed ] ++
our defence is not that bad ........... they are just old

if bonera comes or leggoratilia(i'll never know how to spell his name) we will be ok...........

our young defenders in the reserves are not bad for the future,too.
No. We ned to buy some serious players before next year. Waiting will be our undoing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)