Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

There are people with Mosaic Down Syndrome, who tend to score a lot better on IQ tests. I think in rare cases they can get to 85 and above, which is within the normal range. I guess she would be in that category.

I mean, a lot of people with Down Syndrome are incoherent, barely understandable (or not even able to talk at all) and can't read or write. It seems rather implausible she is among those. You can't really vote on laws you can't read or understand.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
There are people with Mosaic Down Syndrome, who tend to score a lot better on IQ tests. I think in rare cases they can get to 85 and above, which is within the normal range. I guess she would be in that category.

I mean, a lot of people with Down Syndrome are incoherent, barely understandable (or not even able to talk at all) and can't read or write. It seems rather implausible she is among those. You can't really vote on laws you can't read or understand.
doesnt stop a lot of people from voting

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
doesnt stop a lot of people from voting
It doesn't.

But I don't think someone, whose mental capacties are severely impacted by Down Syndrome, would easily become an elected official. And even if they did, there are always people around wanting remove elected officials and they could easily go to court over them not being fit for the job.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
When people advise you to be content in life, are they saying do not be ambitious?

Ambition is antithetical to contentment, isn't it?

That's the way I understand it. Yes, contentment must be nice but I also have the desire to achieve things. You can only have one or the other.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
When people advise you to be content in life, are they saying do not be ambitious?

That's the way I understand it. Yes, contentment must be nice but I also have the desire to achieve things. You can only have one or the other.
reach for the stars but make sure you have cunny you are content with to relieve stress in

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I mean it feels against our very nature but idk do your best, champ. how many years can you spend envying things you dont have?
That's not what I was talking about. I mean more generally, career, business, life goals. But you can include women in that too.

You don't have to envy what you don't have, but you can work towards it.

Or... you can be content with what you have. It may be great for a lot of people but I don't think it's the best thing for everyone.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
That's not what I was talking about. I mean more generally, career, business, life goals. But you can include women in that too.

You don't have to envy what you don't have, but you can work towards it.

Or... you can be content with what you have. It may be great for a lot of people but I don't think it's the best thing for everyone.
or people are different and you have to try to find a balance between those two that works best for you because nobody else knows you better than you

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Agree. Lately I've been hearing this contentment talk a lot. I see why people would feel that way, but they treat it like some universal truth that we would all be better for it.
lots of people selling or buying universal truths/ answers but if you aren't an NPC, and are somewhat insightful, you should be able capable of figuring yourself out better than you'll get from someone else' one size fits all philosophy

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
lots of people selling or buying universal truths/ answers but if you aren't an NPC, and are somewhat insightful, you should be able capable of figuring yourself out better than you'll get from someone else' one size fits all philosophy
This is why I come to Tuz. To get feedback from the top 1% of intellects on the internet.

Jun 16, 2020

Be grateful for the things you have, but at the same time try to improve it.

You could frame it differently and look to innovation. Imagine if the world 50 years ago said that they were happy with what they had, things would just stagnate. I wouldn’t be here typing this message on a iPhone using a 5G network. The continuous search for improvement is what our species brought so far, and all of us are able to do that on our own microlevel.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Be grateful for the things you have, but at the same time try to improve it.

You could frame it differently and look to innovation. Imagine if the world 50 years ago said that they were happy with what they had, things would just stagnate. I wouldn’t be here typing this message on a iPhone using a 5G network. The continuous search for improvement is what our species brought so far, and all of us are able to do that on our own microlevel.
As they say in Buddhism, desire is the root of all suffering. So people take that and say, let's remove as much as desire as possible to avoid suffering.

Nothing's wrong with a little suffering, as long you can endure it. I guess as always, it's about balance. What's the point of suffering to get that Lambo you always dreamt of, only to realise it brought you no fulfillment after all? Then again, suffering for the dream of having a nice family with a good home can be worthwhile.

So it's about what is worth suffering the pains of desire.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

When you wake up, be ambitious, when you put your head on that pillow, be content

Jun 16, 2020
As they say in Buddhism, desire is the root of all suffering. So people take that and say, let's remove as much as desire as possible to avoid suffering.

Nothing's wrong with a little suffering, as long you can endure it. I guess as always, it's about balance. What's the point of suffering to get that Lambo you always dreamt of, only to realise it brought you no fulfillment after all? Then again, suffering for the dream of having a nice family with a good home can be worthwhile.

So it's about what is worth suffering the pains of desire.
In my opinion the true suffering lies at the opposite end; working your ass of and still not being able to pay your bills. It’s a hard and sad truth many people are facing. And as I see it it’s honestly one of the most insulting ways to live your life, for the simple reason that we have a finite amount of time here. You have to spend one of your most valuable things (your finite amount of time) only to end up stressing about bills and feeding your kids. I bet that the guy fighting for survival feels more depressed than the guy chasing his dreams. That’s why the objective conversation with yourself is really important, it really doesn’t have to go about becoming a millionaire but at least manoeuvre yourself in a position where your able to survive when things go against you. Doing that extra step will most likely benefit you in the long haul.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011

You can work towards something and still be content imo. And then you would also have to be content with your efforts as well.
Better than listening to Jocko Willink

- - - Updated - - -

Should i drink bottled water or tap water thats been filtered?
Where are you that you can't drink unfiltered tap water?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 946)