.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Religion will always thrive in less privileged countries and lower economic communities. Also a general fear of death will mean a lot of people will still want to believe in an afterlife. Spirituality will still hang around.
Money can buy spirituality and good cut coke which is good enough for me

Jul 1, 2010
We don't need to. It's slowly dying. Isis is a phenomenon of frustrated losers. It is causing a lot of suffering, sure, but it only harms Islam in the long run. The impact of religion on politics is getting less and less and eventually religion will die in the west.
I highly doubt that, I actually think there's going to be a religious revival in the West in the next few decades. The spiritual void left by the decline of Christianity hasn't been compensated for by consumerism and materialism and I believe that at one point, there's going to be a comeback of religion.

Jul 1, 2010
Religion will always thrive in less privileged countries and lower economic communities. Also a general fear of death will mean a lot of people will still want to believe in an afterlife. Spirituality will still hang around.
It's not only about fear. We're all trying to make sense of our existences and religions give us a purpose in life that materialism cannot provide.

- - - Updated - - -

Is Trequartista a fundy-dundy now? How you gon' become a Christian after years of militant atheism?
I wouldn't say I was a militant atheist. I did debate quite strongly in the religion thread here before against religion but that's about it.

How did I become religious? Reading a lot of philosophy and reflecting on my existence.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Ones that would give me purpose, reasons not to despair, and understand how to navigate through life.

I'm not a fundamentalist Christian by any stretch of the imagination but I try to life my life according to the teachings of Jesus Christ, which helps me a lot.
I find that quite interesting, what teachings in particular do you follow? What is your purpose now?

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Is Trequartista a fundy-dundy now? How you gon' become a Christian after years of militant atheism?
:lol:

Ones that would give me purpose, reasons not to despair, and understand how to navigate through life.

I'm not a fundamentalist Christian by any stretch of the imagination but I try to life my life according to the teachings of Jesus Christ, which helps me a lot.
Our lord and savior. Jeezus. Oh lawd Jeezus. God have mercy. Jeezus.

Jul 1, 2010
I find that quite interesting, what teachings in particular do you follow? What is your purpose now?
To love my neighbor's as myself; to be compassionate, to forgive others, help the needy.

My purpose is to help the people of my community and share knowledge, which is why I've been involved for some time with a book/literacy charity.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
To love my neighbor's as myself; to be compassionate, to forgive others, help the needy.

My purpose is to help the people of my community and share knowledge, which is why I've been involved for some time with a book/literacy charity.
Not at all.

To be honest, I'm not a fan and ashamed of a lot of things churches and people do in the name of Jesus these days, things that our the opposite of what the New Testament teaches.

:tup: fair enough man, whatever works for you as long as you are happy that is all that matters.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I highly doubt that, I actually think there's going to be a religious revival in the West in the next few decades. The spiritual void left by the decline of Christianity hasn't been compensated for by consumerism and materialism and I believe that at one point, there's going to be a comeback of religion.
All I'm trying to do is help you understand that that is merely a blip on an otherwise uninterrupted downward trajectory.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

Remember you posted a picture of your room and I said it looked like the cell of a monk?
Nailed it :p

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It's not only about fear. We're all trying to make sense of our existences and religions give us a purpose in life that materialism cannot provide.
I think science is actually beginning to scrape the surface and finally trying to look for an answer. It's something that scientists have shied away from in the past, because purpose and meaning sound religious, but IMO one of the end goals of science should be figuring out why and how we came to be.

Based on science and rational thinking we can exclude God (as in the Bible) or Allah (as in the Quran). I'm agnostic, but there are factual errors in both books and especially in the latter it wouldn't make sense as it's the world of Allah himself, who obviously cannot be mistaken about anything as he is Allah. The only logical conclusion is that he cannot exist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 740)