Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Do a pros and cons list. :)
I was thinking about it but the list would be rather in the balance of the new job. The one thing that holds me back is that i know everything and everyone here...which is quite a big thing to leave

how much more are you going to earn? is the job something you want to do?
It's £4000 ($6300/5000 euros)more a year, its less responcibility than i currently have and a bigger team i'd be in. I work in marketing for a school and this would be for a university.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
4000 more a year isn't that much in england though? what about the possibilities in the new job?
I'm only 25 so earning £28 000 is quite good. The major problem is that they really poorly restructured my department and removed the hierachy here. The result of which is that i've ended up doing two people's jobs without a pay rise or acknowledgment and there is nowhere for me to move up internally. In the new job i will go back to one person's job and be in a hierachy and earn more!

But it still means moving away from a place i like and good people that are important to me.

Marketing? That explains a lot.
In what way?

I have a lot of moral qualms with marketing, but its what i am really good at. When i finished uni I decided i would only for education or charity or NGOs.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
4000 more a year isn't that much in england though? what about the possibilities in the new job?
More money + less responsibility + university (very solid job security in UK) sounds good to me. £4000 is quite a nominal amount, but you could put the difference aside for your mortgage or savings.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
I'm only 25 so earning £28 000 is quite good. The major problem is that they really poorly restructured my department and removed the hierachy here. The result of which is that i've ended up doing two people's jobs without a pay rise or acknowledgment and there is nowhere for me to move up internally. In the new job i will go back to one person's job and be in a hierachy and earn more!

But it still means moving away from a place i like and good people that are important to me.

In what way?

I have a lot of moral qualms with marketing, but its what i am really good at. When i finished uni I decided i would only for education or charity or NGOs.
That explains why you're so goddamn sexy. You know how to promote yourself :kiss:

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Take it man, everything you describe sounds like you should except the part about knowing everyone at the job place, being hesistant due to that (depends on how much you value that, if the job is not improvement enough career wise, I would stay where I enjoy being). But all of what you said leads to you should take it.

In a similar sitaution, like my co-workers/inviroment (quite fun :D), close to home/friends, but job wise its pretty identical to what you describe, being given more responsbility without getting paid for it, no prospects (or there is, but one that would bore me to tears). Only job offers I got is from the same company, promotion, but it involves moving overseas, no thanks.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
James Randi. You're missing all the good ones, mudderfokker.
My best friend developed his skepticism chops in London and has since moved back here to lead a lot of local groups, discussions, and events. He hangs with the Amazing Randi whenever they get him out to Vegas for Skepticon and the drinking starts.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Randi as in James Randi?
Yup. I just re-edited to put back the quote as my browser decided to lose its mind.

Apparently SkeptiCON requires several days in Vegas afterwards just to recover from all the drinking. At least that's what happens to him every time, and he's not exactly known as a :burke:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 655)