swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
IT industry going through a rough time, 2 buddies lost their jobs, one at google smashed performance targets, still got canned.
This is that weird thing that happens with memetic desire on Wall Street. When you can’t compete on earnings, you compete on layoff gestures.

Dick measuring apparently still applies even when it is up your own poop chute.

RoiLezard

LizardKing in black&white
Apr 7, 2018
IT industry going through a rough time, 2 buddies lost their jobs, one at google smashed performance targets, still got canned.
That’s really tough. I’m sorry for your buddies man. I hope they move onto something better.
I know many people who lost their jobs after mass layoffs in IT in Fintech. It’s really sad to witness after the rapid growth in the last couple of years. I was part of the industry for almost 4 years. They ended with me going on a leave of absence for about 8 weeks. I never made my return as I was able to find a job in my actual field. I had to take a considerable pay cut but I couldn’t be happier now that I’m doing something I’m passionate about.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
That’s really tough. I’m sorry for your buddies man. I hope they move onto something better.
I know many people who lost their jobs after mass layoffs in IT in Fintech. It’s really sad to witness after the rapid growth in the last couple of years. I was part of the industry for almost 4 years. They ended with me going on a leave of absence for about 8 weeks. I never made my return as I was able to find a job in my actual field. I had to take a considerable pay cut but I couldn’t be happier now that I’m doing something I’m passionate about.
Great to hear mon ami, money is just a tool, it provides comfort up to a certain level, otherwise it's just headaches

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
That’s no good. I’m also in fintech and right now we are hiring, so things seem OK for now. But you really never know.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Most firms over hired over the last 2-3 years. This is a modest correction especially for the Patagonia vest crowd (big tech unicorn firms). If someone got let go from Google, meta , amz ,msft then they are clearly talented enough to get a new role anywhere. I do feel bad but they are going to be fine. Also, this barely affects macro labor and employment metrics btw. The idea is to bring down costs to show better profits. Then re-hire. Just see what MSFT has done. The media said they let go of a massive part of their workforce. When in fact they are actually still net positive in hires.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
They definitely over hired, and times were good because tech stocks were soaring since the Covid crash. Now that valuations are back to a more reasonable level, it’s no surprise the big firms are laying off. I think softness through 2025 makes a lot of sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1464)