X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
:tup:

I don't think any of us would recommend one of the more extreme priced outdoor jackets for what Kyle asked. Even Arc'teryx, Patagonia, etc have soft and basic hard shell jackets down around $200-$300.

- - - Updated - - -

Arc'teryx has a factory sale (usually 3 days) in Vancouver once every year where they sell all the seconds and samples at up to %70 off. It's a pretty sweet deal, but the line-ups when it happens suck balls.
you cant get those prices online?

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 6, 2015
Are you forgetting that north face makes $750-$1000 jackets for alpine climbing, mountaineering, and snow sports too? Just like Arc’teryx, Patagonia, and other high-end outdoor brands.

No one needs these for wandering around in the city or normal camping trips, but they are certainly constructed far better and far more weatherproof than the $200- $400 jackets.
I'd even say that a waterproof hard shell is unnecessary in the city in most cases. You don't usually spend hours outside in the city and can manage just fine with something that is somewhat weather resistant. I personally use my hardshell quite rarely in the city. Even when hiking I prefer something more breathable if it doesn't rain too hard.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I'd even say that a waterproof hard shell is unnecessary in the city in most cases. You don't usually spend hours outside in the city and can manage just fine with something that is somewhat weather resistant. I personally use my hardshell quite rarely in the city. Even when hiking I prefer something more breathable if it doesn't rain too hard.
:tup:

Agreed. I would never wander around the city in a hardshell. I actually prefer using an umbrella and wearing a wool coat or leather jacket on rainy days.

In the Pacific Northwest from about November to March/April, if you want to be outdoors hiking, mountaineering, ski touring, etc, a 3 layer gore-Tex waterproof breathable hardshell is almost necessary. Rain at low elevation and heavy, wet coastal snow in the mountains mostly.

When it’s dry though, I always use a more breathable softshell.

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
Sydney last night.

44315b932d9bdbf285f13a8d7dc9d7f9.jpg

Bushfires (wildfires for you North American types) all over the state of NSW, thick clouds of smoke hanging over Sydney for weeks. Horrendous air quality right now. Feels like we’re in Beijing ffs
Is this photo taken by day or night?

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, you wrote it, by night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 477)