Apr 15, 2006
Ok, my wife just asked a question I don't know the answer to and am dying to know. Any help?

What is the driving test like in India? If there is one.
So when I got my Learner's License about 10 years ago, I just had to verbally answer a few questions based on the road signs and what they mean to an inspector. For the actual Drivers License, I had to go around a block for a few minutes with a traffic police inspector. Fairly simple if you're any good at driving. Although I signed up through a driving instructors school, so I think they had paid off the inspector to let us off lightly. The emphasis on rules is low, from what I saw. No one cared to tell us that slow moving traffic sticks to the left, faster on the right, you overtake from the right only and all that shit. No wonder traffic in India is absolute chaos. It's every man for himself. :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
icemaη;5166685 said:
In most states, on a motorbike you have to do an '8' without keeping your foot down. In a car, you have to do an 'H'

Some cities have actual on road driving as well. You have to take a written test prior to either one.
Oh wow. An actual on the road driving test :D

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
So when I got my Learner's License about 10 years ago, I just had to verbally answer a few questions based on the road signs and what they mean to an inspector. For the actual Drivers License, I had to go around a block for a few minutes with a traffic police inspector. Fairly simple if you're any good at driving. Although I signed up through a driving instructors school, so I think they had paid off the inspector to let us off lightly. The emphasis on rules is low, from what I saw. No one cared to tell us that slow moving traffic sticks to the left, faster on the right, you overtake from the right only and all that shit. No wonder traffic in India is absolute chaos. It's every man for himself. :D
Ok, so it's not just tourists like me who get that impression. ;)

But the astounding thing for us foreigners is that you don't get into accidents nearly as often as we'd expect.

icemaη;5167180 said:
No amount of tests can prepare you for driving on Indian roads. So why bother? :D
@swag, written tests were basically recognizing symbols and shit. No 'what will you do' kinda scenarios.
Interesting. Our tests are usually bs trivia to prove you were paying attention when reading a manual: are you supposed to signal 100-feet or 200-feet from a coming intersection when making a turn... BS like that.

And hey, on topic of my post yesterday, have I mentioned that I love The Atlantic?
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/12/all-i-got-for-christmas-was-constipation/422046/

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Typical holiday with the fam for me. I was on a 3+ day drought. Walked around the next day like I got anally raped in Joliet prison.

Brilliant, sir! :agree:

Had some Intelli by the Millennium Park yesterday in your honor, sir.

Interesting. I knew I could count on you, Asif. :heart:

Driving tests here - particularly the written ones - obsess on following written laws. Given the Indian stereotype of foreigners feeling like there aren't many, are there a lot of rules-of-the-road type questions and are they generally followed in reality?

Not being sarcastic - just curious. :D

We're getting 60mph gusts of wind mixed with sleet. I'll be lucky if I don't end up in a ditch heading to my brother's near Naperville today.
Heyy, you're in my neck of the woods! Good luck out there, it looks nasty.

Jul 20, 2012
@Mark @DAiDEViL

Semester ended about 2 weeks ago, I was about to fail 2 of my 4 classes. And am still working the full time job. I told my manager I wanted to go back to part time, and I took my finals. I completely bombed them. The past two weeks I've been wondering where I'm going to get the moeny to retake the classes because I pay out of pocket and I was so pissed at myself. Somehow I managed to pass both classes and don't have to retake any of them. And now come Feb I can watch Juve games again. At least most of them lol

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
@Mark @DAiDEViL

Semester ended about 2 weeks ago, I was about to fail 2 of my 4 classes. And am still working the full time job. I told my manager I wanted to go back to part time, and I took my finals. I completely bombed them. The past two weeks I've wondering where I'm going to pay to retake the classes because I pay out of pocket and I was so pissed at myself. Somehow I managed to pass both classes and don't have to retake any of them. And now come Feb I can watch Juve games again. At least most of them lol

:beer:

and if u had that chick u would have failed your classes and not watch Juve. All(almost) is good.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
@Mark @DAiDEViL

Semester ended about 2 weeks ago, I was about to fail 2 of my 4 classes. And am still working the full time job. I told my manager I wanted to go back to part time, and I took my finals. I completely bombed them. The past two weeks I've been wondering where I'm going to get the moeny to retake the classes because I pay out of pocket and I was so pissed at myself. Somehow I managed to pass both classes and don't have to retake any of them. And now come Feb I can watch Juve games again. At least most of them lol
congrats :beer:

Lion won't be amused though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 252)