'what are you currently listening to' Part 2 (36 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Yeah heard about him due to Rocky, especially since Canal st (thats basically Bones "dirt" song more or less) is one of my favs. Peculiar fella indeed, Asap Rocky has an uncanny ability to find his influences and features from left fields (just like how he found Joe Fox from nowhere to work on his album).

Album review of Asaps understated and highly diverse sound mesh of an Live.Love.A$AP album has this bit about this Bones kid:

Bones
Good luck to anybody who discovers Bones through his interpolation on “Canal St.” — if that’s how you wind up catching onto and enjoying the L.A.-based rapper’s copious mixtapes (including titles like Skinny, Rotten, Garbage, Creep, and Cracker), you’ll probably wind up facing an army of devotees gunning for hypebeasts and checking your cred card. That’s not too weird on a fundamental fan-cult level, though — part of Bones’ appeal ties into just how far his recorded output and geographical reach outpaced his press visibility and tastemaker hype, at least until relatively recently. Couple that with his sleepless work ethic and his conscious decision to give away his music for free, and the devotion makes a lot more sense. And even with the peak-buzz haze of cloud rap dissipating in the wake of whatever next newness bloggers are chasing, Bones’ style — found-footage VHS queasiness and ’90s-damaged No Limit coping mechanisms filtered through an alienated rural-Michigan upbringing — are too evocative for the fading-trend slushpile. His track “Dirt” is lifted for “Canal St.,” with its anti-counterfeit hook (“You say you got 'em guns, but I’ve never seen you bang/ You say you get 'em drugs, but I’ve never seen you slang”) given new light in the context of Rocky’s introspection at being someone who’s never had that concern.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Nomuken

NUMB
Contributor
Dec 14, 2009
@Osman how about this other kid Kevin Pouya?

I laugh sometimes how he looks like a little punk kid, but I can't help but to keep listening to his stuff. He has a vision and he's devoted and he runs with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 35)