Weston “Immovable” McKennie (24 Viewers)

Al Birdie

May 19, 2016
You can hear the goalposts moving already.
Since they can’t complain about the results, they complain about having an expensive squad.
Even if we win the treble, the response will be, ‘we should have won it sooner’ or ‘it’s just a fluke and will never happen again’. It’s pointless to argue with these world class mental gymnasts.
Moving goalposts eh?
Wasnt max brought back to win the league again? "Establish our dominance in Italy again" i think was the phrase tossed around. 3 years in the goal is top 4 :think:

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
You can hear the goalposts moving already.
Since they can’t complain about the results, they complain about having an expensive squad.
Even if we win the treble, the response will be, ‘we should have won it sooner’ or ‘it’s just a fluke and will never happen again’. It’s pointless to argue with these world class mental gymnasts.
If we somehow win the treble while only playing in 2 competitions then we should build a statue to Max outside the stadium.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
i think allegri wasted mckennie's potential.

his ability to get in box in good positions and his jumping meant he could have mad him into a dangerous goal scoring wing back that runs into box for crosses and passes. seems wasted he didn't work on his finishing with him.

MrMonkey

Jul 15, 2017
They definitely look like more of a team and one that knows its limits. Sometimes knowing that you aren't the best footballing team can bring a squad together as they know that they need to make up for it in other ways e.g. defensive organisation and work rate. Allegri said in his post match interview that the team reacts better when things go against them, which has been a massive improvement on last season too.

McKennie made a good point about no longer being a headless chicken, it is the most obvious area of his game that has improved and was probably his biggest weakness. Just having him positioning himself properly makes a big difference, when you combine that with his willingness to work for the team it is miles ahead of his performances in his first spell here. His passing is still not good enough for a CM though and will need to improve if he wants to stay in that position in the long term.
LOL I see you're finally coming around to realizing he's not the "useless" player as described by you.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
What did he improve. He looks the same to me.
His improvement is mostly in the defensive department, which probably has to do with the way we play this season and his new position.
Comparisons can be made between this year so far (15 matches/13 starts) and his last season here (15 matches/13 starts).

Offensively he didn't really improve:
0G/1A in 2023 --- 1G/1A in 2022
27 passes (80% succ. passes) in 2023 --- 25 passes (81% succ. passes) in 2022
0.3 crosses in 2023 --- 0.3 in 2022
0.9 created chances in 2023 --- 0.5 in 2022

But defensively he's doing better:
1.9 tackles in 2023 --- 0.9 in 2022
0.9 interceptions in 2023 --- 0.7 in 2022
1.9 clearances in 2023 --- 0.9 in 2022
1.4 aerials won in 2023 --- 0.8 in 2022

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
His improvement is mostly in the defensive department, which probably has to do with the way we play this season and his new position.
Comparisons can be made between this year so far (15 matches/13 starts) and his last season here (15 matches/13 starts).

Offensively he didn't really improve:
0G/1A in 2023 --- 1G/1A in 2022
27 passes (80% succ. passes) in 2023 --- 25 passes (81% succ. passes) in 2022
0.3 crosses in 2023 --- 0.3 in 2022
0.9 created chances in 2023 --- 0.5 in 2022

But defensively he's doing better:
1.9 tackles in 2023 --- 0.9 in 2022
0.9 interceptions in 2023 --- 0.7 in 2022
1.9 clearances in 2023 --- 0.9 in 2022
1.4 aerials won in 2023 --- 0.8 in 2022
Same player. Just played some matches at wingback

MrMonkey

Jul 15, 2017
If we hire Allegri, he's the first one to go. It's very hard to find a position for McKennie in a team. Especially in a tactical league. A coach like Allegri, who wants every player to have a position and perform all previously given duties, will have absolutely no use of McKennie.
If we can get our money back I would seriously consider the offer.

Any profit and I wouldn't hesitate.
Looking back in time 2+ years great analysis from a couple of the so-called forum experts here. :sergio:

- - - Updated - - -

McKennie made a good point about no longer being a headless chicken, it is the most obvious area of his game that has improved and was probably his biggest weakness. Just having him positioning himself properly makes a big difference, when you combine that with his willingness to work for the team it is miles ahead of his performances in his first spell here. His passing is still not good enough for a CM though and will need to improve if he wants to stay in that position in the long term.
What is he then? Seriously I love the hustle and all at his Juve beginning but looks like the most headless chicken playing for Juve.

Might be the a prime example of why no matter how many physically gifted players that the US produces, they will never win a World Cup.
And 2+ years back @Boksic maybe Weston read my post lol.. Max appears to have find a position where Weston is productive. Sad with all that soccer insight you have given us surprised you couldn't come up with a solution on a position where Weston would be useful but instead you concentrated on completely disparaging him at every opportunity possible. Here's one for you @Boksic, you can't teach physically gifted.

Last edited:

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Looking back in time 2+ years great analysis from a couple of the so-called forum experts here. :sergio:

- - - Updated - - -

And 2+ years back @Boksic maybe Weston read my post lol.. Max appears to have find a position where Weston is productive. Sad with all that soccer insight you have given us surprised you couldn't come up with a solution on a position where Weston would be useful but instead you concentrated on completely disparaging him at every opportunity possible. Here's one for you @Boksic, you can't teach physically gifted.
:lol:

I think I'd still consider the offer if we could get our money back :shifty:

If you look back over the 2 year period since that post he's done well so far this season overall but the remainder of that period he was pretty poor, and did worse at Leeds then pretty much everyone expected (myself included).

You're not going to like it but I still don't see him as good enough at CM long term for us, at least for where we should be. I think RWB suits him better at the moment but again probably not for the level we should be aiming for. But who knows maybe in another two years he will be, he needs to improve his passing to be a CM or his ability to beat a man/cross to be RWB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 14)