Wenger - Walcott better than Messi (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
http://arsenal-mania.com/articles/3105816/Wenger-praise-for-Walcott-better-than-Messi.html

Wenger praise for Walcott, better than Messi

By Jonathan Chong on Saturday, October 18, 2008
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger had high praise for striker Theo Walcott yesterday, saying that the English striker was ahead of other strikers in his age group.

Wenger made special reference to Barcelona's Lionel Messi, saying that Walcott was the better player of the two and had more potential for growth.

He said: "He's different [to Messi at that age] and I think he's more.

"If you have to look for a weakness in Messi you would say it is his ability to run without the ball, behind the defender.

"When he takes the ball to his feet he's like a Ferrari. But Theo is more a guy who has the timing to run off the ball and that is something that is difficult to find.

"We had Marc Overmars who was especially good at that and I'm a great, great lover of movement off the ball."

The Frenchman also said that he is not expecting Theo Walcott to be good at defending, but that he should be looking to create danger going forward.

Walcott's game has come under criticism from some quarters for lacking a good defensive foil to it, but whilst Wenger acknowledges that defending is a team game, it is not the Englishman's speciality.

Wenger said: "People say he's not the best at tracking back. I believe his natural game is to create danger going forward, because that's in his head.

"If you want to play him right-back, that's not his strength.

"He's not naturally a defensive midfielder, he's the guy who can make the difference going forward.

"You feel that, if the ball comes at the right moment, not only can he go in behind, but also, when he's had the chance to finish, he has a decent shot."

Wenger also had praise for Walcott's improvement in his upper body strength. Where he would previously be knocked easily off the ball, he said: "He is a man now in the fight.

"You feel he has much more power than a year ago, or six months ago.

"We do a bit of strengthening of the upper body but not weights, because I believe in football it's more about coordination.

"Weights make you more rigid and coordination makes you more flexbile and Walcott is a guy who has natural power. He will naturally become a strong upper body player."

:kiss:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I dont see where he said he is better then Messi there (him saying "and more" seems a typical twisting crap of journos). He is just praising Walcott in a valid way, and mentionned Messi briefly. He is right in saying Walcott is brilliant in off the balls runs, how he intelligently he moves WITHOUT out the ball, is his strongest quality and one of the better players in that way.

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Obviously Osman is right here, but if we are to make a comparison between the two it's quite easy: Walcott is a track and field runner learning to handle a football while Messi is a football genius with almost the same pace.

OP
Il Re

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
  • Thread Starter #9
    He said: "He's different [to Messi at that age] and I think he's more.

that's saying someone is better, simple

and messi is in a different league to walcott

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    He's just saying that to lift the kids spirit. Any sane person would notice the gulf in quality between the two players.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    I dont think there are many managers out there who lie as much as Wenger does..

His popular "I didnt see the incident" phrase comes to mind.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)