We need .... (general transfer discussion thread) (13 Viewers)

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
Much of the recent transfer speculation has centred on Michael Essien, but tying Mahamadou Diarra to a new contract should be new Lyon Coach Gérard Houllier’s top priority.

Few would dispute the idea that the Ligue 1’s best performer in 2004/05 should be selected from the Lyon side.

Alexander Frei (20 goals) has been exceptional for Rennes and Bonaventure Kalou has provided moments of true footballing beauty with Auxerre, but the fact is the champions have been head and shoulders above the rest this season.

Cris, in his first year, has been a rock at the back, Grégory Coupet is now surely France’s best goalkeeper and Sylvain Wiltord is enjoying a fine renaissance.

It is the midfield three, ‘le triangle d’or’, of Juninho Pernambucano, Essien and Diarra that sets this Lyon team apart, however.

While Essien, at 22, has the potential to become one of Europe’s finest players, Diarra and Juninho are already at the top of their games and have this year emerged as Lyon’s most influential players. The hard-working Brazilian can put in a strong claim for the award on the back of his free kicks alone - particularly the ridiculously good 35-yard effort that bent like a banana and effectively ended Werder Bremen’s Champions’ League hopes.

But Diarra’s all-round contribution has simply been immense. Sitting in front of the back four, it is the 24-year-old Malian who pulls the strings for the four-times champions. It is he who decides how far up the pitch Lyon play, it is he who invariably breaks up the opposition attacks and it is he who moves the team forward – with a short pass to Juninho on his left or to Essien on his right, or with one of those long, raking balls for Govou, Wiltord or Florent Malouda that he has mastered in true David Beckham style.

And lest we forget, moments before Juninho’s Weserstadion heroics, Diarra had rifled Lyon into a 2-0 lead with a quite stunning goal of his own.

‘Djilla’ as he is known by his teammates, is also a much-liked figure in the dressing room. "A class player who basically does it all," is left-back Eric Abidal's summation. “He wins the ball in the air from goal kicks, he makes the crunch tackle when there’s danger and he’s always there when we need an option."

“We’re lucky to have him,” adds Cris. “His attitude is fundamental to the team - he never, ever gives up.” Or as Juninho himself puts it: “Quite simply, when you watch Lyon play, you realise pretty quickly that he is the boss.”

Worryingly for Lyon fans - and whisper this quietly - Diarra’s current contract gives him the option to leave Lyon for a cut-price figure, believed to be around £5m. Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger is ready to pounce, but Jean-Michel Aulas, the Lyon President, is prepared splash out on a lucrative new deal to keep the Mali captain, who has won three straight titles since arriving from Vitesse Arnhem.

Certainly Houllier, who admitted to being "aware of the economic realities” following his appointment on Sunday, will not want to lose any of his players this summer. But while the blow of Essien leaving would most probably be softened by a sweetener of around £20m, losing Diarra could prove a much harder pill to swallow.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Last season We basically had a squad of 22 players or 23 if you include Mutu but it is unlikely that we will have 5 big name attackers next year:

GKs (2)
Buffon
Chimenti

DEF (8)
Zebina
Thuram
Cannavaro
Zambrotta
Birrindelli
Ferrara (RETIRED)
Montero
Pessotto

MID (8)
Camoranesi
Emerson
Blasi
Nedved
Olivera
Tacchinardi
Appiah
Kapo` (LOANED TO MONACO)

FWD (4)
Ibrahimovic
Del Piero
Trezeguet
Zalayeta

+

Mutu.

As it currently stands:

GKs (2)
Buffon
Chimenti

DEF (9)
Zebina
Thuram
Cannavaro
Zambrotta
Birrindelli
KOVAC
Montero
CHIELLINI
Pessotto

MID (9)
Camoranesi
Emerson
Blasi
Nedved
Olivera
Tacchinardi
GIANNICHEDA
Appiah
MARESCA

FWD (6)
Ibrahimovic
Del Piero
Trezeguet
Zalayeta
Mutu
MICCOLI

This means that we have 2 excess forwards, 1 excess midfielder and 1 excess defender - a total of 4 players.

DEFENCE. Last season we basically had 4 centre backs and Ferrara's retirement and Kovac's purchase now means that centre backs are ok. We have 3 left backs. So clearly, it seems that either Pessotto or Chiellini will go. I think it will be Chiellini as he is too young and too good to get frustrated on the bench. He is worth a lot and should be either sold or loaned out because Zambrotta in my opinion is the world's best left back. Pessotto and Birrindelli are solid players who never complain about being on the bench. They are not worth much anyway.....so best to keep them.

MIDFIELD. The most obvious weakness last year was the midfield. In particular this was mainly as a result of not having a suitable partner for Emerson in central midfield. Contrary to popular belief, I would not be surprised if Capello decides to keep Maresca but having said that, I still know that Capello wants more quality in midfield and I don't think that Giannichedda is considered a first stringer. (I think Maresca could help give Juve some of the creativity that lacked at times last season). From this point, I expect Capello to sell 2 players here and then buy one world class player. My prediction is that Juve will let Tacchinardi and Appiah go this season. They will subsequently get Patrick Vieira. That will mean, that we will end up with 8 midfielders.

FORWARDS. This is a tricky one. We are expected to sell Miccoli and loan out Mutu. Obviously the much talked about target is Cassano. I don't expect us to sell Trezeguet. What I expect could happen is that we loan out Mutu, sell Miccoli and loan out Zalayeta. So that we end up with DP, Trez, Zlatan and Cassano. Perhaps, Sculli or another up and coming primavera or serie B striker could be our 5th striker. It seems that Zalayeta now wants regular football (who can blame him?).

So.....

--------------------Buffon/--------------------
-------------------Chimenti--------------------

Zebina/---Thuram/---Canna/---Zambo/
Birri--------Kovac-----Montero----Pessotto

----Camo/------Emerson/-----VIEIRA/-------
----Maresca--Giannicheda-----Blasi-------

-------------------Nedved/--------------------
--------------------Olivera---------------------

---------Ibrahimovc/-----CASSANO/---------
---------Trezeguet/-------Del Piero--------
-----------SCULLI-------------------------------

I like the look of that team as it does not represent a massive change on last year's team but with the addition of 2 world class players. That extra bit of quality while maintaining the DNA of last year's success could make the difference in our attempt to win the Champions League.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
I think Montero/Chimenti/Olivera wont play with us next year,
i disagree for Vieira to cover our left flank,:frown:
but i totaly agree on the 5-2-3 woman formation,:D
(if Gigi is the legs then 3-2-5):cool:

Togon

Nov 2, 2003
i dont know who will we get,

but a single Vieira signing could make our starting eleven the best in the world.

i will raise founds for a Moggi statue if he buys him for Juve.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Catenaccio ] ++

As it currently stands:

GKs (2)
Buffon
Chimenti

DEF (9)
Zebina
Thuram
Cannavaro
Zambrotta
Birrindelli
KOVAC
Montero
CHIELLINI
Pessotto

MID (9)
Camoranesi
Emerson
Blasi
Nedved
Olivera
Tacchinardi
GIANNICHEDA
Appiah
MARESCA

FWD (6)
Ibrahimovic
Del Piero
Trezeguet
Zalayeta
Mutu
MICCOLI
Chimenti is retiring, Montero is definately leaving but you forgot Legro and Tudor.

I am quite happy with the team we have now, just in a few weeks and many of our problems are solved, no other team has as much development than ours.

Chiellini gives more option in defense, Kovac and Giannicheda can hep the defense. miccoli gives a pacey alternative.
We are very strong right now, just imagine how strong we could be considering we have not spent much money on our team.

Miccoli+Maresca+Chiellini for under 5 million euros is such a bargain. Miccoli is worth at least 10 million euros IMO and Maresca & Chiellini both at least 5 mil each. They played fantastically last season.

Only a real stupid mistake can make me unsatisfied at this summer's transfers.

Jul 2, 2005
if we sell chiellini, maresca and miccoli again, i'd be tempted to go to turin and kick moggi in the head until he gets some sense, all of them are good players, and all could be world class with a couple of good seasons with a team like juve under there belt.

personally i think we could be fine with 2 signings a good centre back, who can play on the right preferabbly like Bonera or chivu is who is still i nthe running.

a central midfielder is essential, as although we have little cover for camoranesi, remember with chiellini back zambrotta can go to Right wing again.

maresca's good tacchi's solid and blasi's solid and appiah fights but it could be time to get 1 more in (not GIANNICHEDA what a waste of space not great and old) vierra is also the wrong side of thirty and would be money badly spent, someone like rosicky or d'alesandro could add acreative spark, obviously i wish the rumours of gerrard are true but i cant see it

as for cassano, that whining little brat needs to show us that he's not just a one coach man, and i think we should leave him at roma, we have plenty for strikers, zlatan, mutu , del p thats fine trez may go in which case use that money for the midfielders and get vieri in for free

Geof

May 14, 2004
From what I read, we have to sell non EU players to free spots after we signed Kovac.

And Onwuachi Benjamin could be sold permanently to Standard. Salas could also be sold

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Top rumours/surprises:

1. Mancini (Roma)
2. Behrami (Verona)
3. Coda (Empoli)
4. G. Rodriguez (Villareal)
5. Miguel (Benfica)
6. Alves (Sevilla)
7. Maicon (Monaco)
8. Cassano (Roma)
9. Pirès (Arsenal)
10. Mozart (Reggina)
11. Pizarro (Udinese)
12. Iaquinta (Udinese)
13. Gilardino (Parma)
14. Storari (Messina)
15. Antonioli (Sampdoria)
16. Maxwell (Ajax)
17. Toni (Palermo)
18. Milito (Genoa)
19. De Rossi (Roma)
20. Panucci (Roma)
21. Chivu (Roma)
22. Samuel (Real Madrid)
23. Pablo (Atletico-Madrid)
24. Xavi (Barcelona)
25. Gerrard (Liverpool)
26. Vieira (Arsenal)
27. Rosicky (Dortmund)
28. Ballack (B. Munich)
29. Guti (Real Madrid)
30. Baptista (Sevilla)
31. Vucinic (Lecce)
32. Cassetti (Lecce)
33. Bonera (Parma)
34. Meghni (Bologna)
35. Vicente (Valencia)
36. Malouda (Lyon)
37. Essien (Lyon)
38. Crespo (Chelsea)
39. Jimenez (Ternana)
40. Barzagli (Palermo)
41. Kompany (Anderlecht)
42. Riise (Liverpool)
43. Ledesma (Lecce)
44. Robinho (Santos)

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
++ [ originally posted by peteyjuventini ] ++
if we sell chiellini, maresca and miccoli again, i'd be tempted to go to turin and kick moggi in the head until he gets some sense, all of them are good players, and all could be world class with a couple of good seasons with a team like juve under there belt.

personally i think we could be fine with 2 signings a good centre back, who can play on the right preferabbly like Bonera or chivu is who is still i nthe running.

a central midfielder is essential, as although we have little cover for camoranesi, remember with chiellini back zambrotta can go to Right wing again.

maresca's good tacchi's solid and blasi's solid and appiah fights but it could be time to get 1 more in (not GIANNICHEDA what a waste of space not great and old) vierra is also the wrong side of thirty and would be money badly spent, someone like rosicky or d'alesandro could add acreative spark, obviously i wish the rumours of gerrard are true but i cant see it

as for cassano, that whining little brat needs to show us that he's not just a one coach man, and i think we should leave him at roma, we have plenty for strikers, zlatan, mutu , del p thats fine trez may go in which case use that money for the midfielders and get vieri in for free

Miccoli especially has stated how awful it is for him to join Juve, Maresca and Chiellini have also stated similar statements abobut not wanting to go back to Juve.
Chiellini will probably be forgiven as he did not disrespect Juve too much and that we actually need his services.
While Miccoli and Maresca, as good as they are, they have been caught off guard by this move and I feel they have already shown no respect for the team thus we will gain as much profit from them as possible.
Its stupid to have better than average player disrespect a team like Juventus.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Geof ] ++
From what I read, we have to sell non EU players to free spots after we signed Kovac.

And Onwuachi Benjamin could be sold permanently to Standard. Salas could also be sold

I've been wanting the b@stard salas to be sold for sometime. Money lickin A$$...what he did to Juve, i will never forgive.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
I dont remember but his very expensive salary is what has been keeping him here, he didnt want to leave until his contract expires so that he can enjoy Juve money.
We have tried to sell him in the past...

Jul 2, 2005
poste by vOnAm

Miccoli especially has stated how awful it is for him to join Juve, Maresca and Chiellini have also stated similar statements abobut not wanting to go back to Juve.
Chiellini will probably be forgiven as he did not disrespect Juve too much and that we actually need his services.
While Miccoli and Maresca, as good as they are, they have been caught off guard by this move and I feel they have already shown no respect for the team thus we will gain as much profit from them as possible.
Its stupid to have better than average player disrespect a team like Juventus.

miccoli and maresca showed enormous respect (maresca v torino bull horns thing) and love for juve while they were here its only when they were thrown away to the depth's of the viola after a good season by both that they were disrespectful and surely you can't blame them for feeling a little hurt and rejected. But there back now they are good performers, and neither ever spoke out a gainst the juve faithful, we need to support them for this coming year

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
I would be fine if they stayed but I've read that Moggi fells insulted by their statements towards Juventus.

I understand that they were very Juve minded and the more you fall in love with something the crazier you become when you lose it, but regardless they spoke too much IMO.

I feel sorry for the two but it may seem that they are definately going to be used only as trade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)