WCQ: Italy vs. Scotland, Belarus (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by littleD ] ++

No idea. Another headscratcher really.

Who would I call instead of Del Piero? I would definitely call Cassano ahead of both Vieri and Del Piero at this time. He may be a bit of a head case, but you can't deny his talent. But really, it's a 5th or 6th forward, so you could call anyone. Even someone like Esposito is useful.
Esposito is already in the squad. Just out of curiosity would you rather have Iaquinta in the side or Del Piero/Vieri?

Tifoso_old

Aug 12, 2005
Lippi justifies Cassano snub Tuesday 30 August, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcello Lippi has explained why he’s opted to select Alex Del Piero ahead of Antonio Cassano for Italy’s World Cup qualifiers.

Both have spent time on the bench so far this season, but the Juventus ace has been chosen for the games against Scotland and Belarus.

"I think it is only right that we talk about the players who are here rather than those who are not," said the Azzurri boss.

"Cassano has really played very little in this campaign so far. Del Piero has featured more and has played well.

"I’ve already said that once Cassano has resolved all of his problems, he will return. Perhaps something would have happened by next month…

"I don’t say that because I know what will occur but the transfer window doesn’t close until Wednesday night."

The Roma starlet, linked with a switch to Juventus, is currently in conflict with his club after failing to extend his contract which expires in 2006.

Del Piero has been included in the 22-man squad though even if he didn’t feature in the 1-0 win over Chievo on Sunday.

"I have total faith in Alex and he seems to be in good form right now," continued the 57-year-old.

"If I need him to play in a wide position then it won’t be something new for him. I already used him in such a position during my first year at Juventus."

Lippi has also selected another of his former Bianconeri pupils by recalling Lazio ‘keeper Angelo Peruzzi, given the injury to current Juve No 1 Gigi Buffon.

"Peruzzi has always been at my total disposal," he added. "He is an element who can guarantee this squad technical and human qualities, as well as charisma.

"I’ve coached both Angelo and Gigi Buffon, they are the best the world has seen over the last 15 years.

"Angelo’s age is not a concern. The only thing that matters is that he is a great player."

Italy’s latest qualifier will take place at Hampden Park on Saturday having already beaten Scotland 2-0 in their first group meeting.

"We expect to play a different Scotland side than the one we faced at the San Siro," noted the tactician.

"But the time has arrived for us to go and impose our brand of football in games from now on.

"My side have changed mentality over the last few months as we now have great faith in our ability. I’m convinced that we will do w

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002
De Sanctis
Grosso Nesta Cannavaro Zambrotta
Camoranesi/Esposito Pirlo De Rossi
Totti
Toni Gilardino/Esposito

i would like to see that

Tifoso_old

Aug 12, 2005
------------------------De Sanctis--------------------

Zaccardo--------Nesta-------Cannavaro-------Zambrotta

---------------------Pirlo----De Rossi-------------------

----------------------------Totti---------------------------

----------------------------------------------------Del Piero

-----------------Gilardino----Toni-----------------------

that would be nice

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Canna: Azzurri the best in Europe
Wednesday 31 August, 2005

Italy may have been short on trophies in recent years, but Fabio Cannavaro insists that only Brazil can match them for talent in the 2006 World Cup.

“I think we’ll begin the tournament on a par with any of the favourites and perhaps only Brazil have something extra from the midfield up,” said the Azzurri captain.

“This is a great opportunity for us and I believe we can really make our mark on the World Cup, especially as it’s the last chance for many of us.”

The Juventus defender turns 32 in September and is back on form following a disappointing spell at Inter, but Italy risk a difficult start to the competition, as they are only 13th in the FIFA rankings.

“I do not understand why Italy could be unseeded in the draw. There are sides like Mexico and the USA in front of us, who have less pedigree in this sport and certainly haven’t had the results to justify such a position. Even if we aren’t top seeds, at least it’ll give us extra motivation and focus.”

Marcello Lippi’s men aren’t qualified for the World Cup yet and face two crucial qualifiers away to Scotland and Belarus over the next few days.

The Coach looks set to stick with the 4-3-1-2 system that proved so successful in the 2-1 victory over the Republic of Ireland earlier this month, but there are changes in personnel.

The return of Francesco Totti, who missed that Dublin game with flu symptoms, is likely to push Alessandro Del Piero on to the bench so that the Roma man can hook up with Milan duo Christian Vieri and Alberto Gilardino.

Lippi locked the doors of the training ground for today’s session, but it’s believed he’ll give Angelo Peruzzi the goalkeepers’ gloves on his comeback, with Cristian Zaccardo, Alessandro Nesta, Cannavaro and Gianluca Zambrotta in defence.

Two from Daniele De Rossi, Gennaro Gattuso and Mauro Camoranesi should then partner Andrea Pirlo in midfield. Despite his time in Scotland with Glasgow Rangers, it looks as if Gattuso will be the one to sit on the bench at Hampden Park on Saturday.

Football Italia

So, Italy probable:

Peruzzi
Zaccardo - Nesta - Cannavaro - Zambrotta
Camoranesi - Pirlo - De Rossi
Totti
Gilardino - Vieri

I like it although I think Toni deserves to start.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
The question is here is whether to field alex or vieri not toni...Lippi likes a small forward upfront to help out the attack

OP
danielão

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #34
    ++ [ originally posted by sateeh ] ++
    The question is here is whether to field alex or vieri not toni...Lippi likes a small forward upfront to help out the attack
    Lippi's called a million players since he's been in charge. He has no idea what he likes.

:D

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
    Oct 27, 2004
    Vieri is on fire, he should start. anyone saw that great volleyshot in the crossbar from Vieri against Ireland?

Tifoso

Sempre e solo Juve
    Aug 12, 2005
    US members---

any idea at what point they will start showing WC matches, and on what channel?

Hopefully on a "free" channel, ie, on a channel you get with the $50/month basic Dish/Direct TV feed....

/usr/bin

Excellent
    Mar 6, 2005
    Dizzy Vieri to face Scots
    Friday 2 September, 2005
    Christian Vieri will be available for Saturday’s World Cup qualifier against Scotland despite being affected by dizziness in training.

There were doubts over the 32-year-old’s health after he complained of feeling unwell during a practice game on Thursday.

The Milan striker, who left city rivals Inter on a free transfer in the summer, immediately underwent tests at Coverciano.

Medics declared the forward fit for the Scottish trip after being given the all clear in the hot Florence sun.

"It was just a momentary disturbance, down to bad digestion," stated medic Enrico Castellacci. "The player is available for the game."

The much-travelled forward is expected to start the qualifier alongside club colleague Alberto Gilardino in attack.

The pair will be supported by Roma captain Francesco Totti on his return to the international scene.

Lazio veteran Angelo Peruzzi should be handed the gloves in the absence of injured No 1 Gigi Buffon.

Palermo’s former Under-21 international Christian Zaccardo is set to start in defence on the right.

The only doubt seems to regard whether boss Marcello Lippi will opt for Mauro Camoranesi or Daniele De Rossi in midfield.

The Azzurri, who top their group by four points, will fly out to Glasgow from Pisa airport on Friday morning.

Italy probable: Peruzzi; Zaccardo, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zambrotta; Pirlo, Gattuso, Camoranesi (De Rossi); Totti; Gilardino, Vieri

Channel4.com
    I'd still put Toni ahead of him..

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Peruzzi
    Zaccardo - Nesta - Cannavaro - Zambrotta
    Camoranesi - Pirlo - De Rossi
    Totti
    Gilardino - Vieri
    Zaccardo was quite shaky last time out & I too would definitely love to see Toni alongside Gila. I remember Gila wasting a couple of chances coz he felt he had to pass to Vieri.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)