[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (82 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Sorry, I don't follow your menstruation logic this morning. I was actually rooting hard for Italy in 2006 due to many of my favorite ever players like Del Piero, Buffon and Mauro playing for them. The only NT I'm an unconditional fan of is Latvia, when they're out, which is almost always :D, I'm just hoping players/coaches I like do well.

What part of that post you didn't understand?

You're not okay with insulting players, yet you are okay with timewasting. Both are tactics used by professionals to win games. You can't pick and choose. You're either fine with both or you're not.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Because your argument for timewasting being okay is that it is professional in the sense that players do what they need to do to win. Materazzi did the same. He got France's star player sent off. Materazzi couldn't care less about Zidane's personal life. He just wanted him off the pitch. Both behaviours are cuntish and need to be punished (and are, in fact, punishable according to the rules of the game).

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Really though it's clearly a 50/50 call. Half the forum thinks it's a penalty, half the forum thinks it's not. The only thing that is clear here is that VAR should not have interfered and the original call (or lack thereof) should have stood.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Because your argument for timewasting being okay is that it is professional in the sense that players do what they need to do to win. Materazzi did the same. He got France's star player sent off. Materazzi couldn't care less about Zidane's personal life. He just wanted him off the pitch. Both behaviours are cuntish and need to be punished (and are, in fact, punishable according to the rules of the game).
I'm not a fan of time-wasting, but I acknowledge that it's part of the sport I watch and pretty much everyone does it when the need arises and I don't see why cry about it for weeks when it happens against a team I support, because I know that the team I support would do the same and I wouldn't mind. Hell, I'd take my throw in slower as well if a knockout match was in the balance, but I'd never go below my humanity and make grave insults in those circumstances.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'm not a fan of time-wasting, but I acknowledge that it's part of the sport I watch and pretty much everyone does it when the need arises and I don't see the need to cry about it for weeks when it happens against a team I support, because I know that the team I support would do the same and I wouldn't mind. Hell, I'd take my throw in slower as well if an important match was in the balance, but I'd never go below my humanity and make grave insults in those circumstances.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not a fan of time-wasting, but I acknowledge that it's part of the sport I watch and pretty much everyone does it when the need arises and I don't see the need to cry about it for weeks when it happens against a team I support, because I know that the team I support would do the same and I wouldn't mind. Hell, I'd take my throw in slower as well if an important match was in the balance, but I'd never go below my humanity and make grave insults in those circumstances.

Players do it all the time. It is just as widespread as timewasting. You're clutching at straws to try and make both issues look different, but they're all part of the same dynamic. Players will resort to being cunts if they gain an advantage from it and the rules don't prevent them from doing so. You're a total hypocrite.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Players do it all the time. It is just as widespread as timewasting. You're clutching at straws to try and make both issues look different, but they're all part of the same dynamic. Players will resort to being cunts if they gain an advantage from it and the rules don't prevent. You're a total hypocrite.
I disagree, I believe Juve players and most football players don't go around every game whispering "your mother is a whore" in other players ears. It's nowhere close as widespread as time wasting.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I disagree, I believe Juve players and most football players don't go around every game whispering "your mother is a whore" in other players ears.
I am honestly not sure which sport you have been following the past 20 years. What the fuck do you think Chiellini is saying to attackers? You're hilariously naive.

It's also quite funny your argument against insults is a moral one, but your argument pro time wasting is that it's widespread. Your reasoning is utterly flawed.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I am honestly not sure which sport you have been following the past 20 years. What the fuck do you think Chiellini is saying to attackers?
Care to share an example? Surely if Chiellini does it all the time, there are a few videos of him insulting someone or a few interviews of someone coming out and revealing it?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Care to share an example? Surely if Chiellini does it all the time, there are a few videos of him insulting someone or a few interviews of someone coming out and revealing it?
There are tons of videos. It's in every single game. And there are examples of people coming out all the time. Hell, the original discussion here was about Diego Costa insulting players in the first place. So yeah, it does happen all the time. But why do you think players don't bitch about it? Because it happens so often.

You're really just digging a deeper hole for yourself here. I understand that you want me to say timewasting is okay and your precious France is an attractive team. But it just isn't so, man, it just isn't so.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Really though it's clearly a 50/50 call. Half the forum thinks it's a penalty, half the forum thinks it's not. The only thing that is clear here is that VAR should not have interfered and the original call (or lack thereof) should have stood.
In almost all 50-50 situations refs call in favor of the team with higher status, in this case France.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
There are tons of videos. It's in every single game. And there are examples of people coming out all the time. Hell, the original discussion here was about Diego Costa insulting players in the first place. So yeah, it does happen all the time.

You're really just digging a deeper hole for yourself here. I understand that you want me to say timewasting is okay and your precious France is an attractive team. But it just isn't so, man, it just isn't so.
so please post a few with Giorgio, I'm really curious what you'll come up with :D

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
In almost all 50-50 situations refs call in favor of the team with higher status, in this case France.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
There are tons of videos. It's in every single game. And there are examples of people coming out all the time. Hell, the original discussion here was about Diego Costa insulting players in the first place. So yeah, it does happen all the time.

so please post a few with Giorgio, I'm really curious what you'll come up with :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You do realise that you can't actually hear what people are saying on those videos?

Like I said, the original discussion wasn't about Materazzi, it was about Costa. So clearly it does happen all the time.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/11/secret-footballer-racial-abuse-spitting

Dude, have you ever played football on a reasonable level yourself?

Just listen to yourself. You're actually trying to make the argument that players never insult each other. Insanity.
I made the argument long ago that most of the players don't go over the line when insulting, still waiting for you to get it. Of course banter and winding up exists and I'm fine with it, but I highly doubt insults like the ones Costa apparently made are widespread in nowadays game at the elite level. Still waiting for a few of those videos you claimed there are tons of.

I have played only amateur footie and not once have encountered someone telling me disgusting things about my family, maybe the people in Belgium are different.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I made the argument long ago that most of the players don't go over the line when insulting, still waiting for you to get it.
Oh I get it. Some insults are fine.

Okay.

Let's not continue this argument, because you keep moving the goalposts. Good for you dude :tup: much internal consistency.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 82)