[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (83 Viewers)

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
It's not up to the players to improve, it's up to those who make the rules.

Though diving and timewasting are really despicable, they are as old as the game itself.
Our modern legal system has been in place in much of Europe for 1,000 years. That's 1,000 years of rule-making to make sure everyone behaves. And yet they still don't.

If the some of the finest minds of the past millenia haven't been able to modify behaviour through rule-making, then what chance to FIFA and IFAB have?

Sure, clarity in the laws of the game is a factor that should be managed properly. But the players, clubs and fans all have a part to play too.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Our modern legal system has been in place in much of Europe for 1,000 years. That's 1,000 years of rule-making to make sure everyone behaves. And yet they still don't.

If the some of the finest minds of the past millenia haven't been able to modify behaviour through rule-making, then what chance to FIFA and IFAB have?

Sure, clarity in the laws of the game is a factor that should be managed properly. But the players, clubs and fans all have a part to play too.

You'd be very surprised just how much more violent society was in 1018. We've come a very long way since then.

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
You'd be very surprised just how much more violent society was in 1018. We've come a very long way since then.
Of course. Can't disagree there.

Just saying that rules aren't the solution to everything. They're always going to be open to interpretation. So, I do think the players hold some responsibilities. As do the coaches, clubs and the paying customers (the fans) as they all hold influence.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Matuidi is 30cm in front of him and hides the flight of the ball, so I disagree.
The ball still traveled a long distance, if matuidi doesnt deflect it, imo it has to be a penalty. However this is the problem with handball penalties, for the most part they are interpretation and estimation, the rules are not clear cut.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The ball still traveled a long distance, if matuidi doesnt deflect it, imo it has to be a penalty. However this is the problem with handball penalties, for the most part they are interpretation and estimation, the rules are not clear cut.
Whether he deflected it or not is irrelevant. Perisic couldn't see the ball because Matuidi was in front of him. Regardless, even in your own reasoning it shouldn't have been a penalty, because it shouldn't have been open to VAR review.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
For once I agree with you :p

Handball rules are a serious issue and one that even VAR doesn't seem capable of resolving.

I think the ref was justified in giving it as a pk, even if was harsh on Perisic, the problem is that so often isn't called as a pk and there should be consistency.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
I missed the final. Does Croatia know how they lost to the French? Did France kill the game and waste time like they normally do? Do they feel like they did not play a football match afterwards?

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
Matuidi is 30cm in front of him and hides the flight of the ball, so I disagree.
Whether he deflected it or not is irrelevant. Perisic couldn't see the ball because Matuidi was in front of him. Regardless, even in your own reasoning it shouldn't have been a penalty, because it shouldn't have been open to VAR review.
Not to mention there were no french players behind Perisić in the box.
Very unfortunate situation and there was no perfect decision for the ref.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I missed the final. Does Croatia know how they lost to the French? Did France kill the game and waste time like they normally do? Do they feel like they did not play a football match afterwards?
@Seven please help him

- - - Updated - - -

Go outside in your backyard and try jumping with your hands flat at your sides. Then try jumping with them behind your back.
I can certainly jump without flapping my arms around like that :D honestly, I think it was a stupid reflex from Perisič, as in somewhat intentional, but not well-thought

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Maybe it was part of the game 20 years ago yeah, but surely not today when every little insult is treated as teritorial racism, skin color racism and the whole footie world has been promoting respect for the last 2 decades. Not to mention that its also in the rulebook.

Dont get me wrong, winding up is still part of the game, just not using the old "your mother is a whore and your sister makes love to donkeys" technique, that should be the past

Love it. Always you knew were a France fan. Well, Materazzi got Zidane sent off. That's just the professional thing to do. Like timewasting. Players are allowed to do whatever they want as long as it makes their team win. Right?

- - - Updated - - -

@Seven please help him

- - - Updated - - -

I can certainly jump without flapping my arms around like that :D honestly, I think it was a stupid reflex from Perisič, as in somewhat intentional, but not well-thought
Even in slow motion it is still so nearby that you wouldn't have the time to react, let alone real speed.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Love it. Always you knew were a France fan. Well, Materazzi got Zidane sent off. That's just the professional thing to do. Like timewasting. Players are allowed to do whatever they want as long as it makes their team win. Right?
Sorry, I don't follow your menstruation logic this morning. I was actually rooting hard for Italy in 2006 due to many of my favorite ever players like Del Piero, Buffon and Mauro playing for them. The only NT I'm an unconditional fan of is Latvia, when they're out, which is almost always :D, I'm just hoping players/coaches I like do well.

What part of that post you didn't understand? You can wind someone up without being an imbecile, why use grave, disgusting insults when you can do the same without them and actually comply with the rules?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 83)