[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (111 Viewers)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Griezmann conned the ref. Dived cause he knew outside box situations are not reviewed by VAR and France have been most productive team from set pieces this tournament.

Although there were suggestions later that Pogba was offside when ball was delivered to box.

The penalty is 50:50. It put referee in a very difficult position. If he doesnt give it there will be critics cause there is clear contact. But apparently in this very same World Cup they didnt give almost identical call in previous game.

But they showed another possible pen involving Vida in the post match show.

Fact is basically that VAR hasnt removed human error. Ref was under too much pressure not to give it.

I think they need to start expanding the VAR for freekicks in dangerous positions in opponents half.

No Griezmann dive. No goal.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
then I agree, although I think it's understandable main ref wanted to see the replay there. you bringing the FK in the discussion was really strange and mislead me :D
I brought it in to show the perversity of the system. Right now it has quite a few flaws.

Nothing to do with France-Croatia as such, but there need to be a few fixes. I think it would probably be best to open up all penalty decisions to VAR. Now, because it's supposed to be clear and obvious, the ref is also pressured to side with the VAR. Then I'd add the third option of the on field call being allowed to stand in the case of doubt.

Finally I'd much prefer it if all free kicks and corner kicks were open to VAR review too.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I brought it in to show the perversity of the system. Right now it has quite a few flaws.

Nothing to do with France-Croatia as such, but there need to be a few fixes. I think it would probably be best to open up all penalty decisions to VAR. Now, because it's supposed to be clear and obvious, the ref is also pressured to side with the VAR. Then I'd add the third option of the on field call being allowed to stand in the case of doubt.

Finally I'd much prefer it if all free kicks and corner kicks were open to VAR review too.
It is open in Serie A tho, where "all situations leading up to goal are subject to VAR review".

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Not 100% sure tbh. But it is open for interpretation cause a FK is in fact "leading to a goal".
I don't think anyone wants goals cancelled because a freekick was reviewed post factum, sounds silly to me. So either VAR effectively becomes the main referee and takes responsibility for all fouls and corners or it stays as it is with VAR intervening only when absolutely necessary.

I personally wouldn't mind all the power being in VARs hands, but then they need to cut the video reviewing, trust the VAR and say that the ref running on the field is simply a gesture machine most of the match.

Jun 6, 2015
This wasn't clear and obvious. Which meant VAR can't interfere.
It was a "clear error" because the referee didn't spot the handball in live play. The application of VAR was right, the actual decision is up for a debate. Obviously everyone expect France fans would hope no penalty was given in a such a debatable situation. It's one of those where the interpretation of the referee is what matters and Pitana cleary thought it was a penalty. Can't say it was wrong to give it, but personally would have preferred it not given.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It was a "clear error" because the referee didn't spot the handball in live play. The application of VAR was right, the actual decision is up for a debate. Obviously everyone expect France fans would hope no penalty was given in a such a debatable situation. It's one of those where the interpretation of the referee is what matters and Pitana cleary thought it was a penalty. Can't say it was wrong to give it, but personally would have preferred it not given.
That's really stretching it to justify VAR interference, mate :D. Not seeing something is not an error it's a fact. The error is not making a call when it should have been made. Otherwise you'd have VAR with every corner kick because the ref can never spot everything.

Either way, I want VAR to interfere in such cases. But then do it all the time.

Griezmann's free kick is a huge issue too of course and more difficult to solve imo.

Jun 6, 2015
Also there's the possibility of Pitana himself asking for the review which to my knowledge is also allowed.

- - - Updated - - -

That's really stretching it to justify VAR interference, mate :D.

Either way, I want VAR to interfere in such cases. But then do it all the time.

Griezmann's free kick is a huge issue too of course and more difficult to solve imo.
I doubt any professional referee would argue over the use of VAR in that decision. It's the actual decision that is controversial.

I'm sure VAR will only get better in the future. It's good to remember we are still in the early days of it's use.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Also there's the possibility of Pitana himself asking for the review which to my knowledge is also allowed.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt any professional referee would argue over the use of VAR in that decision. It's the actual decision that is controversial.

I'm sure VAR will only get better in the future. It's good to remember we are still in the early days of it's use.
I think there has been a lot of debate on when VAR should be allowed to be used tbh.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Sure. There's bound to be lot of debate when such a big change is made.

Anyways I think we both would have preferred the penalty to be not given. Our reasons are just different.
Luis Suarez claims Pogba was offside and participating during the first goal btw.

But I don't see the offside position.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I don't think anyone wants goals cancelled because a freekick was reviewed post factum, sounds silly to me. So either VAR effectively becomes the main referee and takes responsibility for all fouls and corners or it stays as it is with VAR intervening only when absolutely necessary.

I personally wouldn't mind all the power being in VARs hands, but then they need to cut the video reviewing, trust the VAR and say that the ref running on the field is simply a gesture machine most of the match.
Some are cancelled post factum now too. The issue now is that Griezmann is effectively rewarded for diving. Which is precisely what VAR intends to take out of the game.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Some are cancelled post factum now too. The issue now is that Griezmann is effectively rewarded for diving. Which is precisely what VAR intends to take out of the game.
Yeah, but through actions which directly influenced the goal. Freekick contributes only so much to a goal scored, probably less than 5% result in a goal.

I'm okay with every freekick being VAR responsibility, but I'm not okay for refs spending 2 minutes reviewing videos every time, so if VAR is given responsibility for nearly all the calls, VAR should simply be the number 1 ref that can intervene at any time and say to the pitch referee that he got it wrong and should book a player for diving no questions asked

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yeahh, but through actions which directly influenced the goal. Freekick contributes only so much to a goal scored, probably less than 5% result in a goal
Maybe.

But be honest here, didn't you think it was going in as soon as they got that free kick?

The weird thing here is that VAR didn't take away any injustice but added to it. In a game without VAR you could have said Croatia were lucky not to get a penalty against.

Surely that can't be the intention?

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Maybe.

But be honest here, didn't you think it was going in as soon as they got that free kick?
France are extremely efficient there, Griezmann with his broken run-ups and excellent deliveries is an excellent free-kick taker, but, to be honest, it was lucky that freekick went in, usually Croatia is strong when it comes to defending dead ball situations, Mario just turned off for that one.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
France are extremely efficient there, Griezmann with his broken run-ups and excellent deliveries is an excellent free-kick taker, but, to be honest, it was lucky that freekick went in, usually Croatia is strong when it comes to defending dead ball situations.
In the end I have to admit FIFA were desperately unlucky with it going in, but I'm kind of glad it did because it shows the flaws of the system imo.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
In the end I have to admit FIFA were desperately unlucky with it going in, but I'm kind of glad it did because it shows the flaws of the system imo.
you should stop hoping that footie will become some dream gentleman sport of yours and embrace it for what it is :D I can't imagine a single world class player who doesn't do everything in his power to win

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
you should stop hoping that footie will become some dream gentleman sport of yours and embrace it for what it is :D I can't imagine a single world class player who doesn't do everything in his power to win
It's not up to the players to improve, it's up to those who make the rules.

Though diving and timewasting are really despicable, they are as old as the game itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 111)