[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (42 Viewers)

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Do you guys think Griezmann could win Ballon d'Or, considering the WC he had and that he's actually French.
I don't think there are clear favorites for Ballon d'Or, should be a close vote.
Ronaldo was great in CL quarter and semi finals, but didn't do much in Spain and, while he had a good overall performance at WC, Portugal went out early.
France had many great performers with Griezmann as the leader, Mbappe with great goals and creative plays, Pogba was consistent in midfield as well as decisive both in group stage and final and Varane also did remarkably well and was hugely dominant on set pieces, which is why it's hard to pick one player and say that he deserves it more than others, any one of those 4 I could build a case for being the MVP of this France team.
Modrič obviously is among candidates and the romantic in me wants him to win it, although for me Ramos and Ronaldo are far more important players for Madrid and Croatia did end up on the losing side.

I'd say anything can happen, this could be the year there is a new Ballon d'Or winner.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
France had many great performers
:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Do you guys think Griezmann could win Ballon d'Or, considering the WC he had and that he's actually French.
Imagine Griezmann's World Cup, but without the penalties. Griezmann is easily one of my favourite players right now, but he was quite underwhelming. He's intelligent enough to make up for it and he was still vital to this France team, but he can definitely do better.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine Griezmann's World Cup, but without the penalties. Griezmann is easily one of my favourite players right now, but he was quite underwhelming. He's intelligent enough to make up for it and he was still vital to this France team, but he can definitely do better.
He also won EL with Atletico, dunno how relevant it is tho.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
His view was blocked and the ball deflected of Matuidi which made it's travel distance 30 cm.

Obviously I'm not objective but France scored first 2 goals out of evident errors.
Ya I might not be the most objective either since I've always supported the French NT :p

I might need to see it again, when I saw it(though with the emotion of the moment I wasn't focusing all that much) I thought Matuidi lowered his head and didn't touch it. Obviously if Matuidi deflected the ball, then the distance between the two players would make probably mean the handball is not deliberate. Are you sure Matuidi deflected it though?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
French players that missed on WC. Crazy depth.
Yep. That's the incredible thing for France. Other teams have to hope for their star players to be in shape. It doesn't really matter for France, because they'd just select other star players. Only player they cannot do without is Griezmann imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya I might not be the most objective either since I've always supported the French NT :p

I might need to see it again, when I saw it(though with the emotion of the moment I wasn't focusing all that much) I thought Matuidi lowered his head and didn't touch it. Obviously if Matuidi deflected the ball, then the distance between the two players would make probably mean the handball is not deliberate. Are you sure Matuidi deflected it though?

I think the debate should really go beyond this. It was VAR reviewed and though I completely disagree with the call that was made, the ref did so in good faith and ultimately we'll just need to accept it.

But it shouldn't have been open for review in the first place. Only clear errors are open to review. The fact there is so much debate around this and the ref needed so long to make the call, shows you it was not a clear error. It was a wrong application of the rules. And it's especially perverse because France were favoured with the first goal, because the free kick wasn't open to VAR review.

If you look past the invidual game and past the individual teams, it's obvious that the system right now has many flaws.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Yep. That's the incredible thing for France. Other teams have to hope for their star players to be in shape. It doesn't really matter for France, because they'd just select other star players. Only player they cannot do without is Griezmann imo.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the debate should really go beyond this. It was VAR reviewed and though I completely disagree with the call that was made, the ref did so in good faith and ultimately we'll just need to accept it.

But it shouldn't have been open for review in the first place. Only clear errors are open to review. The fact there is so much debate around this and the ref needed so long to make the call, shows you it was not a clear error. It was a wrong application of the rules. And it's especially perverse because France were favoured with the first goal, because the free kick wasn't open to VAR review.

If you look past the invidual game and past the individual teams, it's obvious that the system right now has many flaws.
you need to read those rules before you criticize how they are applied, because you obviously haven't

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
you need to read those rules before you criticize how they are applied, because you obviously haven't
I don't think you even understand what I wrote there tbh. You're probably thinking I meant handball rules. Which, I guess, shows you didn't even read my entire post.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/0/var-rules-used-fifa-world-cup-2018-russia/

Penalties

The most subjective and arguably problematic area. Penalties can be awarded or rescinded using VAR if there has been a 'clear and obvious error' in the original decision.
This wasn't clear and obvious. Which meant VAR can't interfere.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I don't think you even understand what I wrote there tbh. You're probably thinking I meant handball rules. Which, I guess, shows you didn't even read my entire post.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/0/var-rules-used-fifa-world-cup-2018-russia/

This wasn't clear and obvious. Which meant VAR can't interfere.
Im talking about freekick not being reviewed - it shouldnt have been VAR reviewed. To me the penalty seemed like a dumb reflex from Perisic and I think its correct that it stood.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Im talking about freekick not being reviewed - it shouldnt have been VAR reviewed
Lol. It's a misunderstanding dude. I said it can't be VAR reviewed. Those are in fact the rules. We agreed. Read what I write please.

I think the system is flawed because a vital free kick isn't open to VAR review. But even within the current system, yesterday's refs made a hash of the penalty. That simply wasn't a decision that should have been VAR reviewed, because it wasn't clear and obvious. The final call is something you can argue about. But that it was VAR reviewed was just dead wrong.

To make it clearer:

1. Regarding the FK I think the VAR rules were correctly applied. But I think those rules are wrong and will have perverse effects. In this case Croatia were heavily penalized.

2. Regarding the PK I think the VAR rules were not correctly applied and it wasn't open to VAR review to begin with.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
Lol. It's a misunderstanding dude. I said it can't be VAR reviewed. Those are in fact the rules. We agreed. Read what I write please.

I think the system is flawed because a vital free kick isn't open to VAR review. But even within the current system, yesterday's refs made a hash of the penalty. That simply wasn't a decision that should have been VAR reviewed, because it wasn't clear and obvious. The final call is something you can argue about. But that it was VAR reviewed was just dead wrong.
That clear and obvious is a stupid criterion, though. In this case there was definitely no penalty but clear and obvious is a matter of interpretation. I don't think it's wrong that they should be able to review a handball in the penalty area.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'd give it to N'golo Kanté before I'd give it to Griezmann, but that's just me.

win the WC by cheating and celebrate by looting their own country :howler:
In France your choices are either being mowed down by Allah Akbar or burning down your neighborhood yourself in celebration. It makes sense they'd want to get to it themselves first.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
To me the penalty seemed like a dumb reflex from Perisic and I think its correct that it stood.
I really don't think it was a penalty. No human being alive has fast enough reflexes to respond in that timeframe. But even so, these are tough calls to make in football and that's a part of the debate we will probably never solve.

The decision to open it to VAR review is something else though. That was just wrong.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I really don't think it was a penalty. No human being alive has fast enough reflexes to respond in that timeframe. But even so, these are tough calls to make in football and that's a part of the debate we will probably never solve.

The decision to open it to VAR review is something else though. That was just wrong.
humans do have pretty fast reflexes and that movement from Perisič didn't seem natural to me

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
That clear and obvious is a stupid criterion, though. In this case there was definitely no penalty but clear and obvious is a matter of interpretation. I don't think it's wrong that they should be able to review a handball in the penalty area.
Oh, I completely agree with it being silly. I would prefer it if they changed it. I think they should open all things up to VAR review, but allow the ref to make the decision that the on pitch judgment stands. In case of doubt, the original decision would simply be confirmed.

- - - Updated - - -

That ball is farther away from Buffon than it was from Perisic yesterday. And by a lot.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007

To make it clearer:

1. Regarding the FK I think the VAR rules were correctly applied. But I think those rules are wrong and will have perverse effects. In this case Croatia were heavily penalized.

2. Regarding the PK I think the VAR rules were not correctly applied and it wasn't open to VAR review to begin with.
then I agree, although I think it's understandable main ref wanted to see the replay there. you bringing the FK in the discussion was really strange and mislead me :D

- - - Updated - - -

That ball is farther away from Buffon than it was from Perisic yesterday. And by a lot.
and that shot is travelling much much faster :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 41)