[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (53 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Haha what the hell he was worse than a spectator, leaning on the post and had zero reaction even after it went in. It was like he has having a sulk for being asked to mark the post?
I figured he must be some random bush league scrub filling in a position that Senegal is weak but the dude plays for Everton ::lol3::

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
And unlike that Sampaoli guy he was highly successful, so has every right to criticize him.
8 years ago the entire squat was vastly superior and better balanced. They had the oustanding best CDM in the world and quite good to excellent defenders. Great hardworking wingers, and Messi was hitting prime.

Today, they are inferior in every line, and all the big balancing factors are either gone, or are well past their prime. Argentina not having Mascherano balancing their team out due to old age, is a massive issue

However, Maradonna had respect of all players including Messi. The current guy is a fucking joke that has no spine and no say.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
When Cameroon made an impression at the 1990 WC, someone (I think Pele or Joao Havelange) predicted that by the end of the century an African team will win a World Cup.
It seemed like a plausible prediction. Those Western Africans looked faster and stronger than the rest, and all they seemed to need was a good European tactician to make the final step. I myself remember folks predicting how they will dominate football like the African-Americans dominate NBA or the 100m-200m sprints.
Now, almost 30 years after the famous prediction, with many white European coaches coming and going in the meantime, for the first time since 1982 an African team fails to make the knockouts.

10 European, 5 American and 1 Asian team will fight for this WC.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Yup.
Except maybe France in 2002. That team (at least on paper) was great enough to win it again, or at least make the semis.
Germany 2018 is a pretty great team too tbh.

neuer
hector, boateng, hummels, kimmich
kroos, can
draxler, ozil, reus
mueller

or

kroos, can, gundogan

Draxler, gomez, reus

There is no reason for playing this poor

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
When Cameroon made an impression at the 1990 WC, someone (I think Pele or Joao Havelange) predicted that by the end of the century an African team will win a World Cup.
It seemed like a plausible prediction. Those Western Africans looked faster and stronger than the rest, and all they seemed to need was a good European tactician to make the final step. I myself remember folks predicting how they will dominate football like the African-Americans dominate NBA or the 100m-200m sprints.
Now, almost 30 years after the famous prediction, with many white European coaches coming and going in the meantime, for the first time since 1982 an African team fails to make the knockouts.

10 European, 5 American and 1 Asian team will fight for this WC.
Probably a good indicator that athleticism is nowhere near the most important thing in football, whereas it is an absolute pre-requisite in many other sports.

In football you can dominate with a team of midgets if they are skilled and co-ordinated enough.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Germany 2018 is a pretty great team too tbh.

neuer
hector, boateng, hummels, kimmich
kroos, can
draxler, ozil, reus
mueller

or

kroos, can, gundogan

Draxler, gomez, reus

There is no reason for playing this poor
Can?

Germany on paper is very good (except LB, they cant produce one for decades), but that team looked slow, unmotivated and tired. they need fresh legs, Goretzka, Sane, Brandt, Kimmich, Weigl, Meyer, Gnarby, Dahoud, Arnold... they need to give guys like this bigger roles, and say goodbye to older players that should be retired already and/or are in heavy decline

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Can?

Germany on paper is very good (except LB, they cant produce one for decades), but that team looked slow, unmotivated and tired. they need fresh legs, Goretzka, Sane, Brandt, Kimmich, Weigl, Meyer, Gnarby, Dahoud, Arnold... they need to give guys like this bigger roles, and say goodbye to older players that should be retired already and/or are in heavy decline
::lol3::

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
Many European teams now have far more black players in their squad compared to the past if that counts for something
Do they? Perhaps there’s more African players but not too sure there’s many more black players, who have long been well represented in Western Europe for at least the past 20 years.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Do they? Perhaps there’s more African players but not too sure there’s many more black players, who have long been well represented in Western Europe for at least the past 20 years.

France routinely field 9 black players these days. That's definitely more than they did in the 90's.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
How do you all feel about this World Cup so far?

I feel it has been a bit disappointing. Sure, there's PLENTY of unpredictability, but that's about it. The defending for the most part has been terrible.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
How do you all feel about this World Cup so far?

I feel it has been a bit disappointing. Sure, there's PLENTY of unpredictability, but that's about it. The defending for the most part has been terrible.
It's been okay. Most interesting games are in the knockout phase anyway. I think France-Argentina will be a great game. So much pressure on both teams to do well. France haven't been convincing, though they easily got to the 2nd round. And Argentina.. total rollercoaster of emotions. Really looking forward to this.

Colombia knocking out England will be sweet too.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Not enough marinara sauce
Exactly. And what am I supposed to eat without McDonalds? :disagree:

It's been okay. Most interesting games are in the knockout phase anyway. I think France-Argentina will be a great game. So much pressure on both teams to do well. France haven't been convincing, though they easily got to the 2nd round. And Argentina.. total rollercoaster of emotions. Really looking forward to this.

Colombia knocking out England will be sweet too.
Argentina and Portugal out in the next round would be :tuttosport:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 52)