[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (50 Viewers)

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
I'd definitely use that picture if I were Swiss, it does change things.

Unless they were playing a Serbian team :D.
It also wasn't the first time in the dress of swiss national team. I'm not sure about Shaqiri, but Xhaka did it already once, i'm quite sure, because it is discussed not for the first time here.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a difference there though, especially because the national anthems usually take place in an atmosphere of mutual respect.
Yeah, that post wasn't 100% serious tho. :p

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
It's also something they already knew they'd be doing back when Switzerland and Serbia got drawn in the same group.

Mostly I'd feel bad for the Swiss as a team.
Yep. The swiss are probably fucked without those 3 key players (2 If Licht doesn't get banned).
Now, I'm not a fan of easy bans, but they willingly took into account to get banned and hurt the team by doing that celebration. That recklessness alone warrants a ban for me. Also if you saw the celebration, it's hard to argue against that their intention was to provoke the serbs.

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
Yep. The swiss are probably fucked without those 3 key players (2 If Licht doesn't get banned).
Now, I'm not a fan of easy bans, but they willingly took into account to get banned and hurt the team by doing that celebration. That recklessness alone warrants a ban for me. Also if you saw the celebration, it's hard to argue against that their intention was to provoke the serbs.
Definitely. Zakaria for Xhaka, Lang/Elvedi for Licht and no one for Shaqiri... We really lack attacking midfielders.

It really was imprudent and naive by them and I definitely don't appreciate that, but I see chances to get away, like I've said some posts ago.
And furthermore the three players get defended by our lawyer who was part of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee some years ago, hope he knows how it works. :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It also wasn't the first time in the dress of swiss national team. I'm not sure about Shaqiri, but Xhaka did it already once, i'm quite sure, because it is discussed not for the first time here.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that post wasn't 100% serious tho. :p

Kosovo is recognised by FIFA, right?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Definitely. Zakaria for Xhaka, Lang/Elvedi for Licht and no one for Shaqiri... We really lack attacking midfielders.

It really was imprudent and naive by them and I definitely don't appreciate that, but I see chances to get away, like I've said some posts ago.
And furthermore the three players get defended by our lawyer who was in the FIFA Disciplinary Committee too some years ago, hope he knows how it works.

Shaqiri is almost certainly going to be banned imo. The flag on his boots indicates he wanted to make a statement. Xhaka might get off. Lichtsteiner.. Well, I like the guy, but honestly it's tough to defend him here.

- - - Updated - - -

And furthermore the three players get defended by our lawyer who was part of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee some years ago, hope he knows how it works. :D

I honestly don't think it was. They probably did so knowing full well they might face repercussions. It is very difficult for me to imagine, because we don't have that sort of nationalism at all in Belgium, but if we did, I can definitely see why one would still celebrate like that against Serbia.

Maybe Xhaka and Shaqiri felt that this was something important for them and decided to go through with it anyway. They've probably had this scenario in their minds for months now.

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
Itd be provocation if they paraded that flag under Serb noses, however that celebration was clearly intended for the fans, its the problem of Serbs that Albanian symbol offends them.
But they 'paraded' it during a game being televised to the entire World and with millions of viewers. FIFA probably aren't in to their flagship tournament being used as a soapbox. Especially as they're trying to clean up their act after years of corruption and scandal.

In the greater scheme of things, this eagle gesture might not be such a big issue, but FIFA may want to do something in order to avoid establishing a precedent - or the next time we might see something genuinely provocative and harmful.

Ofc, there's no rule (that I know of) that says punishment must be in the form of a ban, or that the ban must begin immediately. They could apply a fine or a one-match ban to commence after the Word Cup finals.

Gagi

Jul 19, 2007

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Don't give a fuck what you think, to be honest, stop acting like a jerk.

I'm not here to defend Krstajic. If he gets suspended - fine. No problems with that.

The Serbians have completely forfeited any right to have an opinion on Xhaka and Shaqiri. Their postgame comments have been absolutely ridiculous. Joke of a team.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
But they 'paraded' it during a game being televised to the entire World and with millions of viewers. FIFA probably aren't in to their flagship tournament being used as a soapbox. Especially as they're trying to clean up their act after years of corruption and scandal.

In the greater scheme of things, this eagle gesture might not be such a big issue, but FIFA may want to do something in order to avoid establishing a precedent - or the next time we might see something genuinely provocative and harmful.

Ofc, there's no rule (that I know of) that says punishment must be in the form of a ban, or that the ban must begin immediately. They could apply a fine or a one-match ban to commence after the Word Cup finals.

If they decide to ban them straightaway, they could appeal to TAS I believe. That would probably suspend the ban anyway.

Gagi

Jul 19, 2007
In-game, post-game, both parties are under investigations. Any political comment, provocation has nothing to do with the World Cup. For all I care, they can suspend both of them, Krstajic and fine our FA president. He's a political tool anyway.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
In-game, post-game, both parties are under investigations. Any political comment, provocation has nothing to do with the World Cup. For all I care, they can suspend both of them, Krstajic and fine our FA president. He's a political tool anyway.
There is still a difference between celebrating a goal by referring to your country or asking for the ref to be sent to The Hague after the game while justifiying the behaviour of convicted war criminals.

Xhaka and Shaqiri were wrong to celebrate like that (even if I sort of like that bit of passion, adds to the story) and should probably receive bans. But Krstajic.. Man, that is just insane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 50)