[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (91 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
yeh, for all of us who support Juventus most likely. Unless you are from france or germany or sumthing..
As a World Cup I liked 1998 much better. The outcome of 2006 was great though and the semi final against Italy was a great game.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
Yep. Or they may face Colombia which will be a good match
You mean round of 16 ? I think they have enough quality to beat the likes of Colombia but there's still question marks over whether they can step it up against a top seed. They have been flat track bullies over the previous few tournaments afterall. I can see them potentially upsetting France or even a Spain but Brazil would probably be a step too far for them IMO. Brazil's bench strength is so amazing that even if they play badly , they could bring on a couple of players who could completely change the outcome of the game.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
You mean round of 16 ? I think they have enough quality to beat the likes of Colombia but there's still question marks over whether they can step it up against a top seed. They have been flat track bullies over the previous few tournaments afterall. I can see them potentially upsetting France or even a Spain but Brazil would probably be a step too far for them IMO. Brazil's bench strength is so amazing that even if they play badly , they could bring on a couple of players who could completely change the outcome of the game.
I don't give them that much of a chance. I actually thought they could struggle and finish second in their group, then face a good test from Colombia and may be get through but that would be the end of the line.

After seeing them just now I rate them a little more highly, but don't think they would beat France or Spain (unless France is having a poor tournament which is quite possible)

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
I don't give them that much of a chance. I actually thought they could struggle and finish second in their group, then face a good test from Colombia and may be get through but that would be the end of the line.

After seeing them just now I rate them a little more highly, but don't think they would beat France or Spain (unless France is having a poor tournament which is quite possible)
My problem with France is their midfield. If Matuidi starts, Pogba plays on the right and he looks more underwhelming than he already is on that right hand side. I watched their friendly match against USA and in general they were struggling to break their organized defensive line. A midfield trio of Kante-Pogba-Matuidi looks sluggish as hell. Deschamps has some real selection headache here. Even in the Euro's, he was getting his ass saved by his bench while playing poorly. There's going to be little margin for error here in a bigger tournament like the WC.

Honestly if i were France, i'd drop Matuidi altogether and play Kante-Tolisso-Pogba.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Brazil is winning this tournament unfortunately. Don’t want that cunt Neymar to win the World Cup, but he is the best international player right now IMO. Spain is the only one who can potentially stop them.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
My problem with France is their midfield. If Matuidi starts, Pogba plays on the right and he looks more underwhelming than he already is on that right hand side. I watched their friendly match against USA and in general they were struggling to break their organized defensive line. A midfield trio of Kante-Pogba-Matuidi looks sluggish as hell. Deschamps has some real selection headache here. Even in the Euro's, he was getting his ass saved by his bench while playing poorly. There's going to be little margin for error here in a bigger tournament like the WC.

Honestly if i were France, i'd drop Matuidi altogether and play Kante-Tolisso-Pogba.
And that was a really young US defensive line.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I think this is going to be Colombia's world cup. I can feel it.
I would love to see a new World Champion nation.

- - - Updated - - -

So you’re telling me you believe those 4 teams won’t make it through the knockout rounds because of the cold?? Really? I could agree with playing in the heat, it completely drains you but cold? Again most of the players from those nations already live and play in Europe.
It's not cold in Russia in the summer months at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 90)