[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (110 Viewers)

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
No, it wasn't. World Cup 94 and 98 were the best over the past 20+ years. 2002 was absolute shit, possibly the worst WC in the modern era, and it was closely followed by 2006 and 2014. 2010 was slightly better than both 2006 and 2014.
2006 and 2014 were both easily better than 2010. I agree 2002 ranks the worst with 2010 being a close second.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
2006 was nice, the hosting country matters a lot in the quality of WC and Germany is easily >>> South Korea, South Africa, Brazil, Russia or Qatar in terms of organization

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I hope France can win it. Personally I doubt it tbh, I don't think Deschamps does a particularly good job, and I also think that the relative inexperience of some of those talented young players might work against them in the latter stages of the tournament. There is no doubt though that its an extremely exciting team with Griezmann, Mbappe, Dembele, Pogba and co.
Yup. I wouldn't be against France winning it at all. Kind of odd, because their team has always been incredibly annoying imo, but I actually kind of like their players now.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Yup. I wouldn't be against France winning it at all. Kind of odd, because their team has always been incredibly annoying imo, but I actually kind of like their players now.

You guys have a strong squad. Are you optimistic that you'll compete?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
2010 was the worst WC IMO.

Poor quality of football, shitty boring games, Spain’s disgusting tiki-taka rubbish in full effect, vuvuzelas. Ugh. 2002 is the next worse.
2010 was a fair world cup though. Any world cup that was affected by deliberate FIFA decisions (as has been proven to be the case with the 2002 world cup) is the worst.

- - - Updated - - -

You guys have a strong squad. Are you optimistic that you'll compete?

Based on the talent we should aim for a semi final spot and I think with a bit of luck we could reach the final. Unfortunately I also think Martinez is not the best manager for our team. On the one hand he has never come up with a tactical solution for the problem we've faced for years now (too slow in the build up, we let opposing sides get into position far too easily), on the other his influence seems to have been detrimental on the team's mentality. His refusal to include Nainggolan in the past has even caused De Bruyne and Hazard to disagree with his choices publically.

The only reason I can see us go far is that the players themselves seem to realise it is up to them rather than the manager and I hope they will eventually simply not care about what Martinez has to say at all (which is virtually nothing, the guy is all PR and no substance).

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
2010 was a fair world cup though. Any world cup that was affected by deliberate FIFA decisions (as has been proven to be the case with the 2002 world cup) is the worst.

- - - Updated - - -

Based on the talent we should aim for a semi final spot and I think with a bit of luck we could reach the final. Unfortunately I also think Martinez is not the best manager for our team. On the one hand he has never come up with a tactical solution for the problem we've faced for years now (too slow in the build up, we let opposing sides get into position far too easily), on the other his influence seems to have been detrimental on the team's mentality. His refusal to include Nainggolan in the past has even caused De Bruyne and Hazard to disagree with his choices publically.

The only reason I can see us go far is that the players themselves seem to realise it is up to them rather than the manager and I hope they will eventually simply not care about what Martinez has to say at all (which is virtually nothing, the guy is all PR and no substance).
2010 was boring and annoying but of course 2002 is the worst and nothing comes close.

2014 and 2006 had good quality football but my favourite remains 1998.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
2010 was boring and annoying but of course 2002 is the worst and nothing comes close.

Same here. I loved 2006 because Italy won and because of Zidane (there was the headbutt in the final, but he was great all tournament). I was also at a festival listening to Franz Ferdinand at the very moment Portugal knocked out England and I have very fond memories of them dedicating Walk Away to Wayne Rooney.

1998 was something else though. The atmosphere was brilliant. There was the heat having a real effect on the games. Ronaldo was insane. The Dutch had an exciting team too. And there was crazy Croatia with Davor Suker. I loved every single minute of that tournament.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Same here. I loved 2006 because Italy won and because of Zidane (there was the headbutt in the final, but he was great all tournament). I was also at a festival listening to Franz Ferdinand at the very moment Portugal knocked out England and I have very fond memories of them dedicating Walk Away to Wayne Rooney.

1998 was something else though. The atmosphere was brilliant. There was the heat having a real effect on the games. Ronaldo was insane. The Dutch had an exciting team too. And there was crazy Croatia with Davor Suker. I loved every single minute of that tournament.
Thank you for reminding me of Davor Suker, he was immense. Too many individual brilliance but the overall quality of football was insane and as you said, the atmosphere! France is really a great country.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013

Last good World Cup was 98, although I personally prefer 94. Anything after 98 was shit but 2010 takes the cake. The most boring team to ever win.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Engerland squad

Goalkeepers: Jordan Picfkord, Jack Butland, Nick Pope

Defense: Kyle Walker, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Kieran Trippier, Harry Maguire, Phil Jones, Gary Cahill, Danny Rose, Ashley Young.

Midfield: Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Jordan Herdenson, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Lofts-Cheek, Fabian Delph, Raheem Sterling.

Attack: Harry Kane, Jamie Vardy, Marcus Rashford, Danny Welbeck.

Magician not there @DAiDEViL :sad:

i thought he was rising again

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

- - - Updated - - -

Ya not selecting Nainggolan is a crime.

I too rate your players very highly but your manager not so much. However if you really think about it, good managers don't manage NT's anymore with all the money being in club football these days. I look at the top teams, and most of them don't really have particularly good managers with the exception of Germany perhaps. So from that perspective, I still see Belgium having a chance to do well in the WC. If Martinez can find a way to play to the strengths of KDB and Hazard, Belgium could go quite far.

Engerland squad

Defense: Kyle Walker, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Kieran Trippier, Harry Maguire, Phil Jones, Gary Cahill, Danny Rose, Ashley Young.

Midfield: Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Jordan Herdenson, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Lofts-Cheek, Fabian Delph, Raheem Sterling.

I mean while I think Wilshere has been average for most of his career(especially relative to expectations and his first couple of years with us) , its a travesty that he hasn't been picked for England of all teams. That squad is as average as they get, add to that the fact they don't have a midfielder of Wilshere's type, and finally, I just don't understand how Loftus Cheek and fucking Delph can be ahead of him. I don't understand Henderson either, but that one is debatable. I mean, I really think this is a wrong decision.

But man some of those players are laughable; Welbeck who would never be considered a football player out of England, its so painful watching him play for Arsenal. Only in England would such an untalented player be considered for the fucking NT, then you have the keepers, and players like Loftus Cheek, G.Cahill, Jones, Delph :lol:

Jethro

Mar 6, 2018
Engerland squad

Isco is that you? So much similarity

Worst squad i've ever seen at world cup

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Ya not selecting Nainggolan is a crime.

I too rate your players very highly but your manager not so much. However if you really think about it, good managers don't manage NT's anymore with all the money being in club football these days. I look at the top teams, and most of them don't really have particularly good managers with the exception of Germany perhaps. So from that perspective, I still see Belgium having a chance to do well in the WC. If Martinez can find a way to play to the strengths of KDB and Hazard, Belgium could go quite far.

I mean while I think Wilshere has been average for most of his career(especially relative to expectations and his first couple of years with us) , its a travesty that he hasn't been picked for England of all teams. That squad is as average as they get, add to that the fact they don't have a midfielder of Wilshere's type, and finally, I just don't understand how Loftus Cheek and fucking Delph can be ahead of him. I don't understand Henderson either, but that one is debatable. I mean, I really think this is a wrong decision.

But man some of those players are laughable; Welbeck who would never be considered a football player out of England, its so painful watching him play for Arsenal. Only in England would such an untalented player be considered for the fucking NT, then you have the keepers, and players like Loftus Cheek, G.Cahill, Jones, Delph :lol:

@Bianconero81 :klin:

but i agree, they need technical players in there, cant have a squad full of brainless runners and expect to do well. its no wonder they never win anything

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 110)