[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (58 Viewers)

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Well I understood the part where you said "bunch of alcoholic fucks" just fine.

What other sports are Uruguay known for? Football is not our national sport, it falls behind three others in the pecking order (hurling, gaelic football and Rugby to an extent).

Nobody here thinks it an achievement to have the 'best fans' or most drunken fans I can assure you.
http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/best-fans-world-relive-top-8406951

took me 2 seconds to google that. google anything about Irish fans and you'll have plethora of self-praising articles from sites like irishmirror, irishtimes, irishnews and whatnot

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/best-fans-world-relive-top-8406951

took me 2 seconds to google that. google anything about Irish fans and you'll have plethora of self-praising articles from sites like irishmirror, irishtimes, irishnews and whatnot
They were praised for good or joyous behaviour, so what. Ask anyone who follows the national team they'd inevitably tell you winning is more important then being applauded for funny drunken antics.

That aside, claiming that the players themselves have no ambition is ridiculous.

Lapa

FLY, EAGLES FLY
Sep 29, 2008
What other sports are Uruguay known for? Football is not our national sport, it falls behind three others in the pecking order (hurling, gaelic football and Rugby to an extent).
Hurling? Da fuck is that? Sounds like something Harry Potter could play. :lol:

EDIT: Googled it already, but still have no idea what's it all about.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Hurling? Da fuck is that? Sounds like something Harry Potter could play. :lol:

EDIT: Googled it already, but still have no idea what's it all about.
Loads of videos on YouTube :tup: fastest field sport in the world. Best way to describe it is a mix between field hockey and lacrosse

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
They were praised for good or joyous behaviour, so what. Ask anyone who follows the national team they'd inevitably tell you winning is more important then being applauded for funny drunken antics.

That aside, claiming that the players themselves have no ambition is ridiculous.

My issue isn't really with the players though. I expect the players to give it their all, even if they're Irish. But the fans sure as fuck do not deserve the praise they get. Not even close.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
My issue isn't really with the players though. I expect the players to give it their all, even if they're Irish. But the fans sure as fuck do not deserve the praise they get. Not even close.
So do you just dislike Irish people in general?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
So do you just dislike Irish people in general?
No, not at all. But I hate that Irish fans are celebrated for something that really isn't much of an achievement. The entire reason Irish fans are commended is that they supposedly show great sportsmanship. And it's total bullshit. Of course it's easy to not be sore losers when you fail to qualify for the next round at a major tournament. No one expected you to. And yeah, the Italians, the Germans or the Spanish will not celebrate a loss the way the Irish do. Because they're expected to win. You can't fucking rejoice when you fail. That's why it's fucking easy being an Ireland fan.

Oh, and fwiw, when it comes down to it, the Irish still bitch about that Henry handball anyway. So it's not even true that they deal well with a loss.

It's a total fraud.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
I can see sense in a lot of what your saying but it's the way that you say things with a lot of aggression that had me wondering.

As for the Henry thing, that's more of a running joke at this stage.

English people still go on about the Hand of God in a similar fashion, it's tongue and cheek.

- - - Updated - - -

We also still need to get past Denmark so you may be spared our shenanigans yet.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I can see sense in a lot of what your saying but it's the way that you say things with a lot of aggression that had me wondering.
I guess it annoys me so much, because every tournament it's the same thing. It's inevitable that someone will praise the Irish for being such great fans. It's like when Italy or Spain go crashing out, some reporter will always come up with something a player or manager said and then accuse them of being prima donnas who can't handle losing. Or let's say for example the infamous Denmark-Sweden game never happened, but Italy and Spain decided to play a 2-2 draw to advance. You bet there'd be an official investigation of that game.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you from Germany? If that's the case then None of this should concern you cause you'll most likely win anyway :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you from Germany? If that's the case then None of this should concern you cause you'll most likely win anyway :D
No, Belgium :). But, unlike almost everyone else it seems, I don't mind Germany.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Probably have as good an opportunity to win it as well in spite of Martinez :shifty:

Man, I never knew Martinez was such an annoying person :D. He's the worst in interviews, never says what he means and he just seems so untrustworthy. He did finally select Nainggolan for these last few friendlies, but his reason for refusing to at first was that we had "better players".

I mean, come on..

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Well I understood the part where you said "bunch of alcoholic fucks" just fine.

Nobody here thinks it an achievement to have the 'best fans' or most drunken fans I can assure you.
Hurling?! :boh: :D

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Seven is just jelaous cause he lives in a failed state and Belgians are, in general, bland. I’m going to the game next saturday.

- - - Updated - - -

Why?
Enjoy it, trying to get tickets for the return leg but not looking good.
I'd wish you good luck but I'd lying obviously

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 57)