[WC] World Cup 2014 - General Talk Thread (7 Viewers)

the Champs

• Argentina

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8,654
    :lol: so much trolling

btw you can be 100% sure if argentina wins the WC the players WILL sing brasil decime que siente :p
    That's old school though. They sung that song about Brazil since like the '50s, yeah?

I'm shocked this lame meme didn't completely die before midnight.

Stop hating on ze Germans guys. They are amazing.
    Amazing? Yes? The most talented side in the tournament? Yes.

Part of a team that to date have proven to be the biggest international chokers of the 21st century? Yes.

Yeah. See above.

GaseousSoggyLcont.gif

:D Van Persie gave his medal to the general
    I'm sure it hurt him to part with that third place medal.

Van Poesje...

It's not, but swag loves it.
    I don't get it. With so many better options, this one seems poorly fabricated. Like the Internet is trying to take an infamous dump with empty bowels on this one.

Have you guys seen this? Santiago, the capital of Chile when they scored the second goal vs Spain.

You sure that wasn't for the 33?

Hmmm...that doesn't seem right. I can't quite put my finger on it.
    Other than I want to personally burn alive all the families of all the retards who made gifs like this, yes.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    Part of a team that to date have proven to be the biggest international chokers of the 21st century? Yes.
    With the exception of 2012, when they were considered strong favorites (50-50 with Spain) for winning the Euro, the Germans were rarely topping the betting coefficients. It was a real shock to see them making the final in 2002. The 2006 team was considered one of the least talented German teams ever, and their 3rd place was mostly credited to being hosts of the WC. In 2008 and 2010 it was more about "You can never underestimate the Germans", rather than "Germany will win this Cup".
    It's a fact that they made it to 6 of the 7 EURO/WC semifinals in the 21st century, and won 0 trophies, but I'd call it choking if they enter a competition as favorites and fail to win it. This WC would be such a case.
    As a matter of fact, in most of the above mentioned tournaments the Germans started with the same chance of winning as the English or Argentina (world cup). In some of the tournaments England and Argentina were bigger favorites. To sum up, the Germans did lose 2 finals and 3 semifinals in the 21st century, but in most of them noone even expected them to find themselves there.

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8,659
    @swag, the song originated amongst san lorenzo fans, but boca's version detailing riber's descent to hell is what made it famous before it was taken over by the albiceleste faithful

So they repurposed it from internal club rivalries to application to Brazil I take it?

With the exception of 2012, when they were considered strong favorites (50-50 with Spain) for winning the Euro, the Germans were rarely topping the betting coefficients. It was a real shock to see them making the final in 2002. The 2006 team was considered one of the least talented German teams ever, and their 3rd place was mostly credited to being hosts of the WC. In 2008 and 2010 it was more about "You can never underestimate the Germans", rather than "Germany will win this Cup".
    It's a fact that they made it to 6 of the 7 EURO/WC semifinals in the 21st century, and won 0 trophies, but I'd call it choking if they enter a competition as favorites and fail to win it. This WC would be such a case.
    As a matter of fact, in most of the above mentioned tournaments the Germans started with the same chance of winning as the English or Argentina (world cup). In some of the tournaments England and Argentina were bigger favorites. To sum up, the Germans did lose 2 finals and 3 semifinals in the 21st century, but in most of them noone even expected them to find themselves there.
    But for a team to earn a record four semi-finals in a row is considered sufficient? After demolishing Argentina 4-0 in the QFs in 2010? After hosting in 2006? After being one of the elite sides that already had three WC titles to their name while being only part of the country they were since the Berlin Wall fall? (And I don't mean the influx of Poles either.)

That sounds like the smokescreen of lowering your expectations to me. PR. Any team that makes it to four straight semifinals with nothing to show for it is a choker by most definitions, regardless of what impressions were before you got there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)