[WC] World Cup 2014 - General Talk Thread (19 Viewers)

the Champs

• Argentina

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mar 10, 2009
of the last 4, 2002 and 2010 were the two worst world cups in my opinion.

2002 I felt lacked genuine quality; and when you have a semi final consisting of; South Korea; Germany (they were average back then), Turky and Brazil, it pretty much sums up what I mean.

2010 was simply terrible from start to finish and I thought apart from Spain, the teams really did lack of star quality.

I did like 2006 quite a lot, it's not because of Italy simply winning it, but it represented the end of my nostaligic era in watching the last tournament with the best players I grew up with; for example Ronaldinho, Zidane, Nedved, Ronaldo etc. The big teams also played a lot better and I thought there was plenty of teams whit great squads.

2014 Has been the most entertaining of the last 4, I believe generally speaking that international football doesn't really have their star studded squads like they used to anymore, but in terms of excitment and entertainment of the games, I don't think there's ever been a more entertaining world cup.

Sjaban

Dec 29, 2012
2010 followed by 2002 was indeed the ugliest tournament I have seen.

1994, 1998, 2006 and this were very good IMO.
2002 was much more of a K1 tournament than a world cup. With the Koreans decimating Italy, Spain and Portugal with high kicks and career threatening tackles..

Mar 10, 2009
Both Italy and Spain were hard done by Korea in 2002. Italy were hard done by some lackluster ref decisions but pkayed poorly so it was deserved somewhat. But the korea against Spain was a complete disgrace Spain had two legitimate goals disalloweded for no reasons and it was only after that game did the conspiracy theories begin. Personally I thought 2002 was hands down the worst world cup in living memory, what made it even worse than 2010 was that there was genuine star studded teams back in 2002 who simply did not perform.

Nov 17, 2012
Both Italy and Spain were hard done by Korea in 2002. Italy were hard done by some lackluster ref decisions but pkayed poorly so it was deserved somewhat. But the korea against Spain was a complete disgrace Spain had two legitimate goals disalloweded for no reasons and it was only after that game did the conspiracy theories begin. Personally I thought 2002 was hands down the worst world cup in living memory, what made it even worse than 2010 was that there was genuine star studded teams back in 2002 who simply did not perform.
Totti's bullshit red, Coco's head injury that was gushing blood thanks to a forceful, intentional and unpunished Korean elbow; 2 Tommasi goals that were incorrectly called offside. F*cking please…. Italy play well enough, but not even God could have saved Italy that game, only Baggio. Thats said I utterly detested Trappatoni's 'Il Nuovo Catenaccio'.. :sergio:

pibull1986

Reggae Boy
Oct 26, 2009
As if anything about Neymar didn't require a second look. ;)
its like as if he was saying where dayya like me to fall...

- - - Updated - - -

Totti's bull$#@! red, Coco's head injury that was gushing blood thanks to a forceful, intentional and unpunished Korean elbow; 2 Tommasi goals that were incorrectly called offside. F*cking please…. Italy play well enough, but not even God could have saved Italy that game, only Baggio.
no to mention Vieri's open goal miss at the dying minutes

Mar 10, 2009
its like as if he was saying where dayya like me to fall...

- - - Updated - - -

no to mention Vieri's open goal miss at the dying minutes

thank you my point exactly

sure Italy were hard done by the ref, but they still played really badly. Spain on the other hand were completely robbed, this article is spot on IMO:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...orean-miracle-spoilt-by-refereeing-farce.html

But yeah the way I see it anyway:

World Cup 2014 (thus far) > World Cup 2006>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>World Cup 2010>>>> World Cup 2002

I do remember some of the key matches in 1998 but I don't think I watched enough to have a genuine opinion of the overall competition

OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7,039
    So far two. I'm going to the Holland and Costa Rica game on July 5th then I fly back to Rio for the rest of the world cup.
    Brilliant! :tup: Enjoy. Wish I was there. (Well, I tried until the accommodates gouged me and the ticket sources stalled with four different tries.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)