[WC] Italia vs Australia [26-06-2006] (6 Viewers)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
king Ale said:
because that was just possession and nothing more.Australia couldn't creat dangerous opportunities.as for Holland,they created lots of good chances and Toldo had the match of his life.
We are talking about a deserve to win. If a keeper had the game of his life, it is the keeper to be admired not the whole team.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Alfio_87 said:
What a shame! But we showed the World that we can play some football! My heart bleeds as all aussies! The penalty was not even close to there, Grosso will b on my no.1 hate list for a while to come! Dutch fan save your crap your disrespect to australia is disgusting your comments are low and uncalled for! We played with heart with two of our key men out! Neil was wonderful the entire game and he is a good chance to b off to barcelona with Neeskans our former assitant coach! The poor player has locked himself in his room all day today and he is a shattered man this is what refs do to players careers destroys them.
But lets put a postive spin we played wonderfully and i cant b more proud of our men. Maybe we arent as skilled and talented as italians but we controlled most parts and gave them a footballing lesson but we didnt create enough unfortunatly! Italian defence and keeper proved once again they are the worlds best! But that is all!!
everyone knew that this italy doesnt play the possesion game, all the players with the coach knew that..fact is that in the first half italy had the better chances and in the 2nd half they were a man down, wat did u expect them to do ? Ofcourse they would play on the counter...Socceroos didnt give anyone a footballing lesson as the chances vey few over the 90 mins.

Socceroos played with heart and Neil showed he is one of the best in the WC, mybe Kewell could've been the difference....but i expected Hiddink to push for the win earlier rather than waiting for the italian defence to get tired and push for the win later on.
On the night it was Lippi who trimuphed over "GUUUUS".

Its not a penalty, but its not a dive.Grosso was smart to get that penalty.
The red card was very wrong as well, waay off the mark. But before the red card marco actually played very well.

MOM, canna without a doubt.He didnt give the Dukes "Viduka" any chance for 90mins

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
sateeh said:
everyone knew that this italy doesnt play the possesion game, all the players with the coach knew that..fact is that in the first half italy had the better chances and in the 2nd half they were a man down, wat did u expect them to do ? Ofcourse they would play on the counter...Socceroos didnt give anyone a footballing lesson as the chances vey few over the 90 mins.

Socceroos played with heart and Neil showed he is one of the best in the WC, mybe Kewell could've been the difference....but i expected Hiddink to push for the win earlier rather than waiting for the italian defence to get tired and push for the win later on.
On the night it was Lippi who trimuphed over "GUUUUS".

Its not a penalty, but its not a dive.Grosso was smart to get that penalty.
The red card was very wrong as well, waay off the mark. But before the red card marco actually played very well.

MOM, canna without a doubt.He didnt give the Dukes "Viduka" any chance for 90mins
Perhaps you are 1 of the only few reasonable people that are around.

About Grosso, he seems to be diving, but he didn't. There was actually contact between Grosso and Neil, and it can go either way. But the person who changed the outcome of the game is the referee, who awarded the spot kick. The referee was totally terrible in this game and single-handedly change the game for both sides

After this game, I expect thee hate for Italy to be even greater. All people in the world r suggesting that Italy shouldn't go through and labeled Grosso a diver. But no1 paid attention to Matrix's sending off. Too bad bad guys will always be the bad guys

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Jeeks said:
Why? Was it part of the genius plan?
It's what I would have done. Australia suck when given the ball. Why playing pressure against a highly physical and fast team? It's what would have made Australia far more dangerous. What I think was wrong in Italy's approach was their lack of fast counters.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Football is all about opinions and thats why its so passionate and the best sport ever. When i was watching the game live , i thought the penalty decision was diabolical. But when i watched the highlights and saw it again, i can see why it was given. First of all Lucas Neill was silly to go to ground, then his arm clearly comes up to impede Grosso who needed no more invitation to go down and it not a blatant penalty but a penalty it surely was. There is a big difference between diving and going down easily to get a decision and Grosso felt some contact and went down easily.
I see some ppl saying Materazzi deserved to be sent off, goodness me, i don't like the player but that was an atrocious decision. It was not a dangerous tackle, it was reckless but he did not touch Bresciano who made the most of it, and he was not the last man.
At least I called it right when i said Totti should start from the bench and come on when legs are tired.
I thought Dp, Gilardino and Toni played well together and movement off the ball was better, if not the finishing. Dp has to play with more guts though and run at defenders as he is not doing that.
Buffon and Cannavaro were immense but I am gonna reserve special praise for 2 players who were just fantastic
Perrotta was magnificent and his energy levels are amazing, he was in the thick of things in the midfield, always joining in the attacks and helping in defence but he was just pipped to my mom by Gatusso who was unbelievable thruout. As for Australia , what goes around comes around, they ought to have lost to Japan and had Cahill sent off for kicking in the box and conceding a late penalty and yesterday although they had lots of possesions they were poor with it. As for Hiddink, you got away with it 4 years ago , so now you know how it hurts to have a decision not go your way and how ironic that Totti who was wrongly sent off scored the winning penalty. South Korea got eliminated by a debatable penalty. Must be very sweet revenge for Italy

Just out of curiosity why is it that England played Sweden on tuesday, Ecuador on sunday, and are playing Portugal on saturday,while Italy played czech rep on thurs , Australia on monday and are playing on friday against Ukaraine, very strange

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Seven said:
It's what I would have done. Australia suck when given the ball. Why playing pressure against a highly physical and fast team? It's what would have made Australia far more dangerous. What I think was wrong in Italy's approach was their lack of fast counters.
This is what you say AFTER the game, but in reality it was fear that gave the possession away.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Jeeks said:
This is what you say AFTER the game, but in reality it was fear that gave the possession away.
Perhaps, but I would have done so anyway. You can't know what made Lippi choose these tactics.

OP
Stephan

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
  • Thread Starter #633
    Chinese commentator just loves Italy
    Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:59 AM BST By Nick Mulvenney

BEIJING (Reuters) - The dramatic climax of Italy's 1-0 victory over Australia on Monday proved too much for China's most popular television commentator, who departed from his normal objectivity with a passionate paean to Italian football.

Huang Jianxiang, who was commentating for an audience of millions on the state-run CCTV, was unable to control his enthusiasm when Fabio Grosso went down in a challenge and a last-minute penalty was awarded to the Italians.

"Penalty! Penalty! Penalty!" he screamed. "Grosso's done it, Grosso's done it!

"The great Italian left back! He succeeded in the glorious traditions of Italy! Facchetti, Cabrini and Maldini, their souls are infused in him at this moment!

"Grosso represents the long history and traditions of Italian soccer, he's not fighting alone at this moment! He's not alone!"

Chinese television audiences, expected to rise to an accumulated total of 10 billion before the end of the tournament, are not often served up such South American-style passion and Huang's bias has provoked a storm of controversy in the media.

SPECIAL MENTION

More was to come when Francesco Totti converted the penalty to win the match and Huang had a special mention for Australia's Dutch coach Guus Hiddink, whose South Korea side knocked Italy out of the last World Cup.
    "Goooooal! Game over! Italy win! Beat the Australians!" he shouted, his voice now breaking. "They do not fall in front of Hiddink again! Italy the great! Left back the great! Happy birthday to Maldini! Forza Italia!

"The victory belongs to Italy, to Grosso, to Cannavaro, to Zambrotta, to Buffon, to Maldini, to everyone who loves Italian soccer!"

"Hiddink ... lost all his courage faced with Italian history and traditions ... He finally reaped fruits which he had sown! They should go home. They don't need to go as far away as Australia as most of them are living in Europe. Farewell!"

An unapologetic Huang later said he could not remember what he had said in the heat of the moment and his preference for Italy was because he had commentated on Serie A for many years.

"I'm more familiar with Italian players ... and I don't like Australians indeed," he said. "I was hoping they'd do badly here."

Australia recently joined the Asian Football Confederation and from the next World Cup will contest for one of their qualification spots.

"Do you remember how China were blocked from going to the Spain World Cup in a qualifier in 1981?" Huang said.

"It was a team just like Australia, all of whom were living and playing in England but with New Zealand passports. It still hurts ... and in 2009, Australia will be just like New Zealand at that time."
    ---------

link to hear his comments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TGmaGPLFSU&search=italy australia

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
    Aug 1, 2002
    Sir Sebastian said:
    And italy deserved to go through??? :wallbang:

The ausies and ghana are the only teams that deserve to win this disgusting tournament.
    Why cos if fair play??? did u see the fake penalty vs USA. and the tackle on totti that forced him 2 be subbed out vs italy. get ur facts str8

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    ZhiXin said:
    Perhaps you are 1 of the only few reasonable people that are around.

About Grosso, he seems to be diving, but he didn't. There was actually contact between Grosso and Neil, and it can go either way. But the person who changed the outcome of the game is the referee, who awarded the spot kick. The referee was totally terrible in this game and single-handedly change the game for both sides

After this game, I expect thee hate for Italy to be even greater. All people in the world r suggesting that Italy shouldn't go through and labeled Grosso a diver. But no1 paid attention to Matrix's sending off. Too bad bad guys will always be the bad guys
    :pint:

i have seen the penalty replayed time and time again in here, and u could see that its not a dive but Grosso could've avoided contact...it was very smart, just like Larsson got his penalty against Germany, but using the recklessness of the defender.

Denco, spot on

and Jeeks ...I remember Lippi and some players saying they were going to play on the counter, Anyway throughout the tournament the azzuri didnt play possesion play at all...When they needed to play that game against the US , they simply couldnt

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    sateeh said:
    :pint:

i have seen the penalty replayed time and time again in here, and u could see that its not a dive but Grosso could've avoided contact...it was very smart, just like Larsson got his penalty against Germany, but using the recklessness of the defender.

Denco, spot on

and Jeeks ...I remember Lippi and some players saying they were going to play on the counter, Anyway throughout the tournament the azzuri didnt play possesion play at all...When they needed to play that game against the US , they simply couldnt
    Possession has never been Italy's game anyway, but leaving the ball with Australia the way they did was just too much.

mnementh

Jun 5, 2005
    I think it was a penalty if anything because of the right arm movement. The australian defender clearly realised that Grosso might pass him from that side so he stretched his arm/elbow. That gesture is illegal since it went for Grosso's legs. It seems Grosso bumped into the body and this intentional arm movement both in the same time so it's 50%+ penalty for Italy, but clearly a right decision IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)