[WC] Italia vs Australia [26-06-2006] (9 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
1. It wasn't a red card. Materazzi fouled Zambrotta.
2. It wasn't a penalty. Lucas Neill was on the ground and no longer involved in the game. Where Grosso could've easily jumped over the player, he chose to go down. For me, it was very much a 'compensation call' for the incorrect red card decision earlier

I think both decisions were down to the referee being deceived by the way the 'fouled' players fell down in their respective situations. Because of the speed at which Bresciano was running, he took a tumble and rolled on the ground. If you watch Grosso's penalty call at normal speed, he falls rather abruptly, leading the ref. to believe that it was a foul.

No conspiracy theories here, because Italy were given a red card that wasn't. Australia really should have capitalised on that. I won't say that Australia deserved to win, because I can't say that we were the better team. That said, Italy probably didn't deserve to win either. All else aside, it really hurts to go out of the World Cup like this, when it was our first shot in 32 years, and we probably had a very real chance of going through to the semi-finals.

It's an old cliche, but I'm proud of the way my boys played. They refused to be intimidated and stretched one of football's superpowers to the end. They've earned the respect of the world, playing a tough but clean game and giving their best till the very end.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

Stephan said:
i just cant understand how lippi choses iaquinta over pippo?
I'm guessing it's because Lippi decided that the taller, stronger Iaquinta would be better as a lone striker, since he came on after the red card?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
serfaraaz said:
dp was so poor against australia i am sure that totti will start the next game i dont italy will win world cup with Such poor strikers

i dont know what you want from del piero..........he played a solid game. setting up both toni and gilla in the first half with great balls into the box. he started runs and got the ball where it needed to be. and if toni and gilla can find a way to finish we could of had 4 goals. there problem is finishing and thats all, our movement forward is good, and we won't give up more then 1 goal a game, our defense is one of the best in the tourny. i think we have a great chance to win, because when you dont play your best, you have to find some way to win and italy has done that.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
I'm guessing it's because Lippi decided that the taller, stronger Iaquinta would be better as a lone striker, since he came on after the red card?[/QUOTE]

i cant agree with that because he brang on pippo with totti behind him in the game against the czech's. maybe he just like iaquinta, he does play a similar game to luca toni

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
gray said:
2. It wasn't a penalty. Lucas Neill was on the ground and no longer involved in the game. Where Grosso could've easily jumped over the player, he chose to go down. For me, it was very much a 'compensation call' for the incorrect red card decision earlier

I think both decisions were down to the referee being deceived by the way the 'fouled' players fell down in their respective situations. Because of the speed at which Bresciano was running, he took a tumble and rolled on the ground. If you watch Grosso's penalty call at normal speed, he falls rather abruptly, leading the ref. to believe that it was a foul.

No conspiracy theories here, because Italy were given a red card that wasn't. Australia really should have capitalised on that. I won't say that Australia deserved to win, because I can't say that we were the better team. That said, Italy probably didn't deserve to win either. All else aside, it really hurts to go out of the World Cup like this, when it was our first shot in 32 years, and we probably had a very real chance of going through to the semi-finals.

It's an old cliche, but I'm proud of the way my boys played. They refused to be intimidated and stretched one of football's superpowers to the end. They've earned the respect of the world, playing a tough but clean game and giving their best till the very end.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

I'm guessing it's because Lippi decided that the taller, stronger Iaquinta would be better as a lone striker, since he came on after the red card?
Me guess is that Iaquinta can run very quickly and create chaos for the Australian defence, but after Matrix was sent off, he has to to everything himself.
I can't say what will happen if Matrix isn't sent off as everything can be so different after 40 minutes. There r no team who deserved to win or lose in this game, because the referee screwed everything up.

Anyway this is for the referee

Because of this, both sides were

this

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
And once again, the anti- Italian football propoganda is up. I see all of these in every forum I been to which talks about world cup and no1 even commented about Matrix's red card. They all feel that Matrix deserved it when it was only a yellow card offence even though Bresciano's tumble looks a bit serious

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
In Latin ESPN, the commentators (which are from argentina most of them) raped Italy with their comments. You know the usual "old catenaccio" theory which is summoned everytime Italy pplays.

Just one of them (not agentinian by the way) was objective enough to say "hey but materazzi´s card took a lot from Italy and it wasnt deserved"...and the other guys continued talking about how Italy didnt try to get a goal and such a lot of crap.

One of them was Mario Alberto kempes.

think both decisions were down to the referee being deceived by the way the 'fouled' players fell down in their respective situations. Because of the speed at which Bresciano was running, he took a tumble and rolled on the ground. If you watch Grosso's penalty call at normal speed, he falls rather abruptly, leading the ref. to believe that it was a foul.
Agree in everthing on your posts, but what u say here can be debatable IMO.
You say that if you check the action in slow motion replay...yes it gives the idea that grosso could have dodged him but, what i see from this is that even when the player didnt tackled Grosso, his movement in fact interrupted Grosso´s action, in one way or another. We cant entirely blame Grosso for not "dodging" the guy, as it was entirely up to him.
A ESPN commentator said the same thing... something like "but Grosso had one or 2 seconds to dodge the aussie". I dont agree with that because it happened so fast..and Grosso´s movement was so abruptely interrupted...that any other Ref would have called the PK too.

IN slow mo is easy to see but in real movement the situation changes.

And in the end.... i was thinking how many players wouuld has done the same?, i mean it was a very clear chance to get a penalty...and in fact it was not a dive!

I think that 9 out of 10 players would have used that chance to do the same as Grosso, geez even myself

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
gray said:

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

agreed , the penalty was not fair especially at this time , the ref was stupid , the italians are always lucky:agree:

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
I don't expect Italy to have a good reception after this game either, be it a loss or a victory. Everybody will just condemn Italy from now on.

It goes 2 ways, sure Neil's whole body intercepted Grosso with his hand flung out, but then Grosso couldn't do anything as he can't pass nor shoot. It happens too fast as Grosso was planning to make the decision, since Neil was already in front, IMO Grosso might try to go pass him, but then I think for his own safety and for the team's sake, he let himself get tripped and feels abruptly, resulting in a penalty, but then people think that Grosso "dives".

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
And here I thought the Portugal-Netherlands match wasn't going to be topped for refereeing that influenced the outcome of the match...

Del Piero had a decent match. He was one of the few Azzurri who could lay down a decent cross today. Enough of that.

Materazzi got it harsh. Yeah, a two-feet-forward lunging tackle is dangerous, but he got ball and Zambro. I feel there's a bit of a problem in this WC as previous refs have set the standard, and a very poor one at that, so now everyone is comparing over-the-top referee calls with previous over-the-top ones and now calling them reasonable by comparison. :rolleyes:

The match was under control, despite the fact that Australia were resorting to a tight-marking, very physical game. The tackle wasn't that severe. And issuing a straight red is a decision a ref shouldn't take so lightly towards establishing a match where the players, not the ref, decide the outcome. So much for that.

And oh, btw, Materazzi is still a complete douche bag.

Iaquinta was worthless, as he often is. God, they needed Pippo in there. Some good GK'ing to deny Toni.

And what is with Perrotta? When did he stop sucking so much as an overrated waste of an Azzurri shirt and start playing like that? I did not get the memo.

A disappointing end to a match that should have finished in better repute. Italy is probably more deserving to go through, but as someone else said -- they should have done more to put the game away before Materazzi's red card. Does Lippi think he's Capello?

Alfio_87

Nov 21, 2005
What a shame! But we showed the World that we can play some football! My heart bleeds as all aussies! The penalty was not even close to there, Grosso will b on my no.1 hate list for a while to come! Dutch fan save your crap your disrespect to australia is disgusting your comments are low and uncalled for! We played with heart with two of our key men out! Neil was wonderful the entire game and he is a good chance to b off to barcelona with Neeskans our former assitant coach! The poor player has locked himself in his room all day today and he is a shattered man this is what refs do to players careers destroys them.
But lets put a postive spin we played wonderfully and i cant b more proud of our men. Maybe we arent as skilled and talented as italians but we controlled most parts and gave them a footballing lesson but we didnt create enough unfortunatly! Italian defence and keeper proved once again they are the worlds best! But that is all!!

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
As for the penalty it's definitely a foul as the Australian is not only in the way but also leaning backwards. I guess you could give it a little twist and claim a penalty, but for me that's an obstruction foul. However it's not nothing either.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh for crying out loud. Australia wasn't even close to deserving the win. What chances did you have? You played against 10 Italians for 45 minutes and managed NOTHING. You deserved to go out. It's not because you're BY FAR the lesser team you suddenly deserve to win without creating ANYTHING. It's not as if the rules are different because you suck. Australia's lack of class doesn't mean that they should suddenly be handed some advantage towards Italy. I agree that the Italians could have done better, but they were quite obviously the better team yesterday.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Seven said:
Oh for crying out loud. Australia wasn't even close to deserving the win. What chances did you have? You played against 10 Italians for 45 minutes and managed NOTHING. You deserved to go out. It's not because you're BY FAR the lesser team you suddenly deserve to win without creating ANYTHING. It's not as if the rules are different because you suck. Australia's lack of class doesn't mean that they should suddenly be handed some advantage towards Italy. I agree that the Italians could have done better, but they were quite obviously the better team yesterday.
Italy - Holland 2000, who deserves to win?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Jeeks said:
Italy - Holland 2000, who deserves to win?
I'd say Holland, yes. Though the first penalty was inexistent. And Italy's defensive work needs to be praised, but all in all I felt it was harsh for Holland.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
all italy players sucked except canavaro and buffon
even before the red card , italy was not controling the game as i expected

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Seven said:
I'd say Holland, yes. Though the first penalty was inexistent. And Italy's defensive work needs to be praised, but all in all I felt it was harsh for Holland.
So why would you praise Italy's defensive work and do not praise Autralia's possession? You are being biased.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Jeeks said:
So why would you praise Italy's defensive work and do not praise Autralia's possession? You are being biased.
because that was just possession and nothing more.Australia couldn't creat dangerous opportunities.as for Holland,they created lots of good chances and Toldo had the match of his life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)