[WC] Italia vs Australia [26-06-2006] (3 Viewers)

Brixity

Feb 8, 2006
The officiating has been shocking thus far. If I'm not mistaken, Matrix's red card is the 24th so far not to mention most dubious decisions on fouls and off-sides.
At the end of the day, I guess, someone suffers and another celebrates. Maradona helped Argentina win with his hand and is still hailed as a footballing great. Assymetries have always been there and will probabaly remain until drastic measures are implemented

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Stephan

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
  • Thread Starter #543
    Gattuso on tv 1 minute ago "The ref was awfull, Materazzi didn't deserve the red, this clearly changed the game, since we were doing fine. He then awarded us a 1/2 penalty. He would never have awarded it if he would not have carded Masterazzi for a laughable foul"

Materazzi: "I did not protest cause I hope my ban will be only for 1 game"

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
    11 vs 11 Italy was better
    A yellow to Matrix would have been fair but his reputation sucks.
    PK 50/50

MOM and maybe best player of the WC: FABIO CANNAVARO!!!

:pint:

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
    Budweiser Man of the Match: Gianluigi BUFFON (ITA)
    26 June 2006
    by FIFAworldcup.com

Gianluigi Buffon was named Budweiser Man of the Match after he kept a clean sheet in Italy's 1-0 win over Australia in the Round of 16 on Monday.
    After conceding only one goal in three group-stage matches – an own goal against the United States – Italy came into this match confident that they could smother an Australian attack that had managed to put three in the net against Japan and two against Croatia.

Yet, after Italy defender Marco Materazzi was sent off in the 50th minute, Australia put the Azzurri under considerable pressure and the Juventus goalkeeper had to prove why he is ranked among the world's best as he controlled his area and repeatedly denied the impressive Socceroos.

"Buffon is the Budweiser Man of the Match because he made three great saves when his team were down to ten men," said FIFA Technical Study Group member Alvin Corneal. "Also, he's got great control of the Italy defence, so for ten-man Italy his support was very important because he directed the defence, which in turn helped to organise the entire team.”

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Gattuso puzzled by dismissal Monday 26 June, 2006
    Italian gladiator Gennaro Gattuso says he was astonished when Marco Materazzi saw red against Australia.

The Inter stopper was instantly dismissed for a foul on Marco Bresciano, which arguably deserved a yellow rather than the maximum punishment

“I honestly still can’t understand why Materazzi was sent off,” said the player who was converted into an emergency centre-back until Andrea Barzagli was brought on.

“The referees have very different criteria for giving out cards, as some fairly harmless ones from behind get you sent off, whereas much more dangerous tackles are let go.

“Maybe last night’s Portugal-Holland game prompted this referee to be harsher, or being a Spaniard he knows Marco’s reputation and considered it more serious than it was.

“This result means two years of work and our adventure continues, even if we struggled badly. Only a real team can get the win despite that red card.

“As for my own booking, that was understandable.”

Gattuso admitted that Australia started the game brightly even if he argues that the Azzurri deserve their place in the last eight.

“It was a bit confusing at first, as we didn’t know who had to go and pick up the wide men, as Australia kept changing them, but we slowly got a hang of it,” he added.

“We created four or five scoring opportunities again today and, although we’re not as pretty as some others, we make sure our opponents respect us and are tough to beat.

“I’d rather play ugly and reach the quarters than be entertaining and go out.

“We hope to have many more joyful moments like this. We proved again that there are no easy games in the World Cup, but we’re a tough side and that’s important in a competition like this.”

Gattuso also took the opportunity to take a swipe at the Italian media for their reaction to Marcello Lippi’s outburst at them in last night’s Press conference.

“I don’t see why the media has to cause controversy before an important match,” he underlined.

“We have to remain united and everyone loves the Azzurri jersey. I saw journalists crying with joy when the ball went in.”:touched:

There's only one Rino...I love you gladiator.

Geof

May 14, 2004
    mark77 said:

I second that. This guy is just the best defender of the world. He anticipates everything, is able to win headers against giants, bosses a defense like noone, and is a great captain too (seen how he went to calm down Rino when the latter got yellow?).

I raise my glass to Fabio Cannavaro! :pint:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    mark77 said:
    11 vs 11 Italy was better
    A yellow to Matrix would have been fair but his reputation sucks.
    PK 50/50

Agreed. Cannavaro has been player of the tournament so far. Simply brilliant in all four games.

engonga

Jul 22, 2005
    Stephan said:
    i just cant understand how lippi choses iaquinta over pippo?
    this is the only thing u cant understand?
    and why perrotta over camo?
    why dp over totti?
    why gila over pippo?
    and why oddo over zaccardo?

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
    Azzurri7 said:
    Cannavaro? Simply football wont be having another Fabio after he retires.

he has really shown everyone in this tournament what he is made of. He is the best defender as of right now in the game.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
    engonga said:
    this is the only thing u cant understand?
    and why perrotta over camo?
    why dp over totti?
    why gila over pippo?
    and why oddo over zaccardo?

i dont know why perrotta over cammo....
    del piero played good today setting up toni about 3 times, one in the first 5 minutes. and totti said he was tired.
    i dont know why pippo isnt playing more....
    and zaccardo hasnt even been on the pitch since his own goal, zambo is good on the right and grosso on the left.

engonga

Jul 22, 2005
    Morra10 said:
    i dont know why perrotta over cammo....
    del piero played good today setting up toni about 3 times, one in the first 5 minutes. and totti said he was tired.
    i dont know why pippo isnt playing more....
    and zaccardo hasnt even been on the pitch since his own goal, zambo is good on the right and grosso on the left.
    Agree about grosso and zambrotta
    but against usa he has left oddo in the bench and started with zaccardo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)