[WC] Italia vs Australia [26-06-2006] (3 Viewers)

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Seven said:
Wait a minute, I thought Italy played 45 minutes with 10 men?

Was it a wrong call? Yes. Was it rough justice? Yes.

I still say screw FIFA as they are doing everything they can to screw games up, but Italy deserved this one even if only for that scandalous decision on Materazzi.
As I said, Italy will win with a struggle due to referee decisions, but I never expect him to be THAT awful on both sides. The referees make me puke.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Ali said:
As I said I will have to confirm this from replays.
My point is even with 11 players the Italians didn't look particularly sharp.
When it was 11 v 11 Italy created more chances and better chances. They allowed Australia to have the ball because they weren't doing anything with it. The red card was undeserved and nearly caused Italy to go out of the competition. The controversial penalty makes up for that.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
Zé Tahir said:
That was obstruction, or what ever it's called in the books, so it was warranted.

Obstruction is an indirect kick. A penalty is a direct kick.

It wasnt obstruction either.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Sir Sebastian said:
Funny how they deserve it for a "scandelous" (yet debatable) decision on materazzi, and australia do not for their "scandelous" (and entirely bullshit) penalty in the last second.
Both are fatal mistakes but one of them costed a team to exit the whole tournament.

jussiut

Feb 22, 2005
Italy had at least 5 great chances before the dismissal, Australia had one and even that might've been after a foul. Therefore I ask, who was the better team before the red card? Whoever says Australia loses all the respect in my eyes because evidently he doesn't know anything about football.

After the red card (which was an idiotic thing for Materazzi to do, although a straight red is questionable) Australia pressured but didn't really create any super scoring chances. Italy couldn't do anything offensice because they tried to defend so tightly and it succeeded, it would've probably gone to penalties without the Grosso foul.

Yes, the Grosso foul was very questionable too. The defender lied there in the ground and it isn't clear wheather he actually used his hands or not. Tough decision for the referee. However, I've seen worst penalties given so that wasn't scandalous, just debatable like the red card.

All in all, Italy played conservatively in the first half but was clearly the better side with more chances. The red card gave Australia a hell of a chance but Italy's defence, particularly Cannavaro was simply gold. Totti shot a nice penalty and that's that. Materazzi almost ruined Italy's chances.

As for what comes to DP, he started well and gave a few good crosses which created good scoring opportunities. He wasn't able to dribble past any defenders though. He had an ok first half and I'm not sure if Totti had done better. In the second half after the red card he couldn't do anything - he's too slow to seriously trouble the whole defense line. All in all he had an ok match, he could've played better but he was definately not atrocious like some have claimed.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
Stuart said:
When it was 11 v 11 Italy created more chances and better chances. They allowed Australia to have the ball because they weren't doing anything with it. The red card was undeserved and nearly caused Italy to go out of the competition. The controversial penalty makes up for that.

Referees are not supposed to "make up" for earlier calls. That is absolute bullshit.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Sir Sebastian said:
Funny how they deserve it for a "scandelous" (yet debatable) decision on materazzi, and australia do not for their "scandelous" (and entirely bullshit) penalty in the last second.
It was an indirect free kick for Italy. A clear obstruction foul in my book. It however, indeed was not a penalty. What I think is that the ref regretted his extremely soft card. He realised you can only fix games that much and when Grosso went down (and mind you, even I thought it was a penalty when I first saw the incident) the ref thought it was a penalty. A fluke I guess, but it at least saved football to some extent.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I just feel I have to say this, even though most of you here probably already know; Fabio Cannavaro is THE best defender in world football. The man has been consistently immense. He's a fantastic leader, an awesome athlete and from what I've heard a very nice guy. I don't think I can remember him making a single mistake in the World Cup as of now. Forza Captain Canna!

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Sir Sebastian said:
Referees are not supposed to "make up" for earlier calls. That is absolute bullshit.
Sebi, I know you are still very disgusted about the referees for robbing your team, but just calm down. Everybody has the same opinion as you and they are equally disgusted.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Sir Sebastian said:
Obstruction is an indirect kick. A penalty is a direct kick.

It wasnt obstruction either.
Sebi, that really was obstruction. Grosso couldn't go anywhere without losing the ball. An indirect free kick would have been fucking dangerous as well mind you.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
Seven said:
It was an indirect free kick for Italy. A clear obstruction foul in my book. It however, indeed was not a penalty. What I think is that the ref regretted his extremely soft card. He realised you can only fix games that much and when Grosso went down (and mind you, even I thought it was a penalty when I first saw the incident) the ref thought it was a penalty. A fluke I guess, but it at least saved football to some extent.

So it's fair that he "makes up" for a call by assfucking an entire nation?

jumbo

Juve all time top scorer
Nov 7, 2004
Australia couldn't capitalized on their advantage. They have been owned by the Italian defense.

I'm sorry to say this but you guys have yourselves to blame as much as you blame the ref.

As far as the Grosso incident itself, Grosso deserves an award for this play. He didn't break the rules, he just bent them to the maximum to his advantage. He got himself in perfect opportunity where he could either jump over the guy or try to go around him. He played smart.

The smartest play of the game.

Brixity

Feb 8, 2006
I do not even sympathise with what Australia is experiencing coz the ref gave a straight red to Materazzi when he didnt deserve it and also gave Gattusso a tame yellow card. I hope Guus is hurting and hurting bad

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Sir Sebastian said:
I didn't say that the ref made up for the call, but the call itself makes up for the red card. We got a bad decision and they got a bad decision, it evens itself out.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Stuart said:
I just feel I have to say this, even though most of you here probably already know; Fabio Cannavaro is THE best defender in world football. The man has been consistently immense. He's a fantastic leader, an awesome athlete and from what I've heard a very nice guy. I don't think I can remember him making a single mistake in the World Cup as of now. Forza Captain Canna!
Thanks to Cannavaro and the disciplined Italian defence. Everybody gave their all, even Iaquinta

Joaco

the cronopio
Dec 11, 2005
I can't understand why FIFA choose the worst ref for this kind of matches.
I don't know who's worst, Medina or the ref of Holland v Portugal

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
ZhiXin said:
Sebi, I know you are still very disgusted about the referees for robbing your team, but just calm down. Everybody has the same opinion as you and they are equally disgusted.

I'm not australian, they aren't my team. I am just sick of the disgusting calls in this tournament.

I only like australia because in my eyes they are the only truly fair-playing, honest, and hard working team in the tournament.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)