[WC] Germany vs Italy [04-07-2006] (17 Viewers)

Lilith

Immortelle
May 19, 2006
ZhiXin said:
Because we have a lot more class compared to the other forums :eyebrows:

::Laughs:: Thank you. Nah their bashing was completely uncalled for. They pretty much told me that I am not allowed to have an opinion. In my own forum which I moderate no less. But these are fans who only watch the WC. I thought I'd try it out on tried and true fans who look at club football as well.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
CauldronWench said:
::Laughs:: Thank you. Nah their bashing was completely uncalled for. They pretty much told me that I am not allowed to have an opinion. In my own forum which I moderate no less. But these are fans who only watch the WC. I thought I'd try it out on tried and true fans who look at club football as well.
That's why u should come here, even though there are some arguments that come up now and then

Lilith

Immortelle
May 19, 2006
Arguments are fine, I don't mind them at all. But when people basically tell you you shouldn't post what you think that's where the problems lie.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
- vOnAm - said:
A great game! Plenty of chances on both sides, although I must say Italy looked like the better team for much of the match....

Great goal by Grosso and great pass and finish by Gilardino and Del Piero respectively...

I was very impressed with Lippi again after his substitution tactics against Australia...his moves were very bold and marally boosting for his players...

when ur one man down then u bring on Totti....
and when ur playing extra time and you take out perrotta for Del Piero, hence bringing on 3 strikers in the last part of the game is really a brave tactic that hinders the opponent's morale..
Lippi, once again got everything right again. and to think that the game finishes at the end of extra time makes the victory even sweeter. Lippi surely prepared himself well for this game, and exposed the German defence to full use. And his substitutions are genius, bringing in Del Piero at the end of extra time for the exhausted Perrotta to run at the tired German players. Everything went according to plans for Lippi. Lippi wanted to finish off the game due to fear of penalties, since the Germans have a good reputation on them. I would say that Lippi is an insane coach that has a lot of guts.

But there is still 1 thing that I'm not sure of, what is the purpose of bringing Iaquinta?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I was baffled by Iaquinta too. But then I saw he was fulfilling more a role of a winger in sending in crosses -- which we needed, but seemed like a gamble (I'm not used to him playing that role).

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Byrone said:
Crapello resigns,Italy go to the final & Ale scores! It doesnt get better than this:agree:
:D

I was watching the game at a German Institute in downtown D.C. on a big theater screen. During the 2nd over time, the satellite signals went out and everyone gathered outside in the hall infront of a small computer screen to watch the game online. I was the only one supporting Italy, and I stood out because of the flag. When Grosso scored I was so happy, but I kept it to myself b/c I didn't wanna get jumped :D But then Del Piero scored and I couldn't hold it anymore....boy the looks I got :D Best damn feeling ever though.

Forza Italia

Forza Portugal, let's make it to the final boys, and then may the best team win :agree:

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
ZhiXin said:
Lippi, once again got everything right again. and to think that the game finishes at the end of extra time makes the victory even sweeter. Lippi surely prepared himself well for this game, and exposed the German defence to full use. And his substitutions are genius, bringing in Del Piero at the end of extra time for the exhausted Perrotta to run at the tired German players. Everything went according to plans for Lippi. Lippi wanted to finish off the game due to fear of penalties, since the Germans have a good reputation on them. I would say that Lippi is an insane coach that has a lot of guts.

But there is still 1 thing that I'm not sure of, what is the purpose of bringing Iaquinta?
well I've been following Iaquinta's game ever since his great season at Udinese, surprisingly despite his tall stature, he's actually very good playing towards the outside....he's got good dribbling and I've seen him score a couple of times starting from the right...you may be mistaken to think he's only a finisher..but he's got the package and if I were Milan, I'd be tempted to play him along side Gilardino, as they have a good understanding as last game shows....

I think Lippi just wanted to decrease the German's morale by giving them another striker to think about...

And Del Piero was included to push Germany so that they would not have the free mind to attack....also to make sure Italy have all of their top Penalty Kick takers on the field...

It was a great finish by Del Piero who failed to do much with his previous chance which IMO should have probably been a goal....

Gilardino must surely take 50% of the credit for DP's Goal, a sublime pass...I mean even I didn't pick up DP's run on my TV, and yet while facing the other way...Gila picked him up....

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
ßömßärdîër said:
Yea, you started to run like a 4-2-4 at one point I think, and it was crazy looking.
In some ways, for all the retards who think all Italy ever does is play catenaccio with a 5-4-1 lineup with a sweeper, a 4-2-4 would be a nice strategy to shock the pants off of any NT unfamiliar with them. ;)

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Yeah IMO more than a fully prepared tactic.. it was a BIG gamble for lippi.......... but the credit here goes to him because even when it was crazy... he wanted the goals and used the attacking players todo so.

Kudos to Lippi.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Time for a little reality check perhaps.

Contrary to overwhelming sentiment around here we were not head and shoulders above the Germans, both teams gave little away I'll give you that but our inability to create at will and Perrotta's role as a pseudo-winger flattered to decieve at times. In protracted periods, we were perfectly content to lob balls to Toni and Totti knowing full well that the hulking Metersacker and Metzelder relished aerial challenges and were better exposed on the ground. Corners taken were shameful to be honest, we had four different corner takers on the night and only Del Piero managed to send in somewhat decent crosses that didn't end up in Lehmann's grateful arms.

I personally felt that Lippi had conciously made the team defend deeper, and this became a problem whenever Ballack, Schneider or Borowski (later Schweinsteiger) strayed anywhere near the penalty box; Gattuso never could cover every opposing midfielder, and Perrotta wasn't his half decent self (as far as his World Cup performances go, anyway). Many a time one of the centre halves had to step out of their predestined zone to make a tackle where a defensive midfielder should have been, and for that to happen even when playing two anchormen is not a good sign.

That said, the actual defending was stalwart to say the least, Canna has his share of the plaudits and rightfully so for what was a virtuoso performance, but Materazzi deserves his fair share as well for he was where he always needed to be save an early opening which left Schneider (I think) with an open shot. 6 vital tackles made by the captain as I remember it, and possession gained 14(!) times in all. The stats do tell the story, I guess. Gattuso was a menace and kudos to him for not picking up a yellow which would've spelt trouble for the team in the final, with Perrotta's form lost somewhere between Ukraine and Germany. As for Buffon's save, suffice to say I expected no less from the best performing keeper in the tournament.

The fullbacks were dependable in attack (which should surprise no one) but more importantly denied the opposing fullbacks space for the cross on several occasions, crosses Klose would've relished attacking no doubt. Grosso took his goal perfectly and the belief he got against Germany will go a long way to sustaining him in the final I suspect. Pirlo was indecisive at times but nonetheless found the right man at the right place more often than not, his speed of delivery may be compensated by his ability to hold the ball fairly well but I'd appreciate a quicker release of our front men if we're to rediscover the attractive counterattacking play we saw earlier in the tournament. Still, full credit for that incisive pass to Grosso while fooling the Germans into the pretence of a shot.

Totti and Camoranesi could've exercised some restraint in my opinion;especially in the case of the former he needs to realize that the simplest option is often the best one, granted he has the gift of searching out his man with a swift flick of the boot but they resulted in loss of possesion one time too many. Camoranesi looked tired in the latter stages and it was an overdue decision to take him off IMO.

Again, I am baffled by the choice of Iaquinta to replace Camo, he offers little as a winger and Gilardino's single foray to the right wing (which saw him subsequently hit the post) created more than Iaquinta did in his entire appearance. Gilardino was fortunate to be able to exploit the tired German defence, and Toni never had much to work with, having only scraps to feed off. Del Piero had a somewhat indifferent introduction to the game, granted there's little to judge him on but he could've done more with the few times he had the ball, he didn't create enough runs into space,especially for a fresh player amongst tired men. That said his goal was well taken and frankly little more could have been expected of him.

I am overjoyed by the result, of course, but at this juncture nothing less than the trophy will do. Grazie Grosso il Del Piero, Forza Azzurri!

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
swag said:
In some ways, for all the retards who think all Italy ever does is play catenaccio with a 5-4-1 lineup with a sweeper, a 4-2-4 would be a nice strategy to shock the pants off of any NT unfamiliar with them. ;)
Thats exactly why I praise Lippi so much.....

The two aggressive substitution tactics he has made in this World Cup is just so brilliant...

I think against Germany he threw in those strikers just for that purpose, to create a bit of confusion and uncetainty for the German players, and also to give a moral boost to Italy's players by saying that we could win it...
Italy are certainly not a Kamikaze team, but boy u couldn't have known at all by watching last nights game...

very risky move from Lippi but at the same time he needed his best PK kickers to have a shot at beating the German bold mentality in taking PK

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
- vOnAm - said:
Gilardino must surely take 50% of the credit for DP's Goal, a sublime pass...I mean even I didn't pick up DP's run on my TV, and yet while facing the other way...Gila picked him up....
I think that a lot of credit of that play goes to Cannavaro too... because when the play started in the Italy area... Cannnavaro headed the ball away.... and then when the ball was going to be controlled by a german attacker..... Cannavaro reacts and incredibly runs like a beast for the ball...then he did a second header and got the ball for Italy.. there the Play ended with Alex goal....

Canna is pure heart and class!

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
- vOnAm - said:
well I've been following Iaquinta's game ever since his great season at Udinese, surprisingly despite his tall stature, he's actually very good playing towards the outside....he's got good dribbling and I've seen him score a couple of times starting from the right...you may be mistaken to think he's only a finisher..but he's got the package and if I were Milan, I'd be tempted to play him along side Gilardino, as they have a good understanding as last game shows....

I think Lippi just wanted to decrease the German's morale by giving them another striker to think about...

And Del Piero was included to push Germany so that they would not have the free mind to attack....also to make sure Italy have all of their top Penalty Kick takers on the field...

It was a great finish by Del Piero who failed to do much with his previous chance which IMO should have probably been a goal....

I know that Iaquinta can run very fast, but I didn't know that he provides an added dimension to the squad.

I'm certain of DP's purpose on the squad, but Iaquinta's is still a bit mind baffling to be honest. Probably which is why Lippi preferred Iaquinta to Lucarelli all game long.

Totti breakthrough and pass to Gilardino ----> Gilardino runs, holds up the ball, acts as a dummy for defenders and pass to DP -----> DP scores, no chance for Lehmann, who was left agonised

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
Desmond said:
Time for a little reality check perhaps.

Contrary to overwhelming sentiment around here we were not head and shoulders above the Germans, both teams gave little away I'll give you that but our inability to create at will and Perrotta's role as a pseudo-winger flattered to decieve at times. In protracted periods, we were perfectly content to lob balls to Toni and Totti knowing full well that the hulking Metersacker and Metzelder relished aerial challenges and were better exposed on the ground. Corners taken were shameful to be honest, we had four different corner takers on the night and only Del Piero managed to send in somewhat decent crosses that didn't end up in Lehmann's grateful arms.
Italy had a good first half, it wasn't only till the second half that they began to sit back...they outplayed the Germans in that first half...On the corners issue, yes it was a very sad sad day...I can't believe we couldn't do something more with them, luckily DP had a better day on that...

I personally felt that Lippi had conciously made the team defend deeper, and this became a problem whenever Ballack, Schneider or Borowski (later Schweinsteiger) strayed anywhere near the penalty box; Gattuso never could cover every opposing midfielder, and Perrotta wasn't his half decent self (as far as his World Cup performances go, anyway). Many a time one of the centre halves had to step out of their predestined zone to make a tackle where a defensive midfielder should have been, and for that to happen even when playing two anchormen is not a good sign.
Italy's defense did look thin, I wondered where all our DM went, as there was plenty of space throughout the game for Germany to exploit, luckilu all our defenders played a good match without making the slightest of mistakes...

Pirlo was indecisive at times but nonetheless found the right man at the right place more often than not, his speed of delivery may be compensated by his ability to hold the ball fairly well but I'd appreciate a quicker release of our front men if we're to rediscover the attractive counterattacking play we saw earlier in the tournament. Still, full credit for that incisive pass to Grosso while fooling the Germans into the pretence of a shot.
Actually I think this was Pirlo's best game in a long time both for this WC campaign and also towards the end of Milan's league games...

Pirlo made some accurate long balls to Toni, Camonarese, Iaquinta, Grosso, and he held the ball well this time, putting his body in between the ball and the opponent, although he still loss some ball possesions, I think overal it was a convincing game from him..

Again, I am baffled by the choice of Iaquinta to replace Camo, he offers little as a winger and Gilardino's single foray to the right wing (which saw him subsequently hit the post) created more than Iaquinta did in his entire appearance. Gilardino was fortunate to be able to exploit the tired German defence, and Toni never had much to work with, having only scraps to feed off. Del Piero had a somewhat indifferent introduction to the game, granted there's little to judge him on but he could've done more with the few times he had the ball, he didn't create enough runs into space,especially for a fresh player amongst tired men. That said his goal was well taken and frankly little more could have been expected of him.

I am overjoyed by the result, of course, but at this juncture nothing less than the trophy will do. Grazie Grosso il Del Piero, Forza Azzurri!
Iaquinta played better during his time on the field that Camo throughout the game IMO...he gives a physicall presence along with footballing abilities...He's actually had a good wc campaign by my books, he made some very good runs and takes good control of the balls he gets...he won us plenty of corner kicks and more he's won Lahm's continuos concentration.....
He linked up nicely with Gilardino, and Im not at all surprised by his inclucion in the game from Lippi...and again contrary to what many think, he actually plays well towards the outside, although not a winger, he's made many goals/opportunities starting from that position...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)