• Italy

• Ghana

• USA

• Czech Republic

Results are only viewable after voting.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
First of all the czech rep vs Ghana match showed that Czech do not have a good squad at all. Without the older players and Rosicky there is nothing there. Ghana played very well with their high tempo unfortunately they do not have great strikers or they would have won by a basketball type score. Without Koller and Baros, Lovenc is quite useless and Nedved was poor. Roscicky was the only shining light, looks like cutrains for this aged squad but you never know with this group

Italy vs Usa
What a game and hats off to the Americans for putting up a very battling display, I did say Donovan was ordinary after the first game but he was superb last night and frankly Usa should have won as i still do not understand why that goal was disallowed with some horrendous piece of goal keeping by Buffon.
The officiating was embarassing with so many cards given out unnecessarily and offsides given that were not
What is it with Italy and second games in tournaments? They hardly seems to win their second games and for Lippi to blame exertions against Ghana for taking its toll is just a big nonsense, they had so much time to prepare and besides he has a good enough squad to rest tired players.
At one time Italy were meant to be playing 10 against 9 but in all honesty it was 8 against 9 as Perotta was injured and Gilardino was non existent.
I have not seen a more pathetic display from a striker in a very long time when you have a 1 man advantage, in fatc in the whole game apart from scoring, all he did was dive to get Pope to get 2 yellow cards. He was a pussy and very pathetic. Afetr getting Pope sent off, he never touched the ball until the 89th minute heading the ball wide. For 30 minutes, he did not touch the ball, that has to be some sort of record against 9 men
Toni was just as bad, offering absolutely nothing to the cause and it is in keeping with the pathetic referring that Onywenu did not get carded when he fouled more than anybody on the pitch.
I thought Cannavaro was as poor as at any time i have seen him play for Italy, giving the ball away cheaply and letting players run past him, and i was stupifyed to see football italia give him 7.
Nesta was good as was Gatusso when he came on, Pirlo was probably the best player for Italy whilst Zambrotta did provide energy but always seems to overdo things at times.
Totti should not have been taken off as far as im concerned as Toni ought to have gone at that time
You wonder why managers pick ceertain players and after Moggigate, your mind is now tuned in a certain direction for I cannot for the life of me see what Lippi likes in Zaccardo, he is clearly a poor player and that own goal was just shameful
DDr is a disgrace and i hope he never plays another game in this competition
Dp had some nice touches but his decision making for Italy has always been suspect and again it was eveident in some of his decisions last night as the ball he tried to pass to Gatusso or Iaquinta, i am sure for Juve he would have buried it
Iaquinta is not international class and getting offsided 5 secs after coming on is just unthinkable
I still think Marchionni should have been in this squad as he has pace and can come on to better effect than Iaquinta.
Its big decisions for Lippi from now on as I dont think they can win it with Toni and Gilardino in this form. Totti needs to completely step up as balls from insode your area looking for the runs of Gilardino and Toni won't always work, he should stop hiding and look for the ball constantly

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
I kind of thought the US deserved more, but the ref was shit. couple very debatable off-sides for both teams, and the first red card to the US was crap!! you see those tackles all the time, and while they usually get yellow cards, a red was a load of shit! the second for the US was understandable, but usually in those circumstances the ref will have a word with the player, and then if the player repeats, give him a yellow. anyway, I was surprised by the US and dissapointed by Italy. I hope they both win on Thursday!!

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
denco said:
First of all the czech rep vs Ghana match showed that Czech do not have a good squad at all. Without the older players and Rosicky there is nothing there. Ghana played very well with their high tempo unfortunately they do not have great strikers or they would have won by a basketball type score. Without Koller and Baros, Lovenc is quite useless and Nedved was poor. Roscicky was the only shining light, looks like cutrains for this aged squad but you never know with this group

Italy vs Usa
What a game and hats off to the Americans for putting up a very battling display, I did say Donovan was ordinary after the first game but he was superb last night and frankly Usa should have won as i still do not understand why that goal was disallowed with some horrendous piece of goal keeping by Buffon.
The officiating was embarassing with so many cards given out unnecessarily and offsides given that were not
What is it with Italy and second games in tournaments? They hardly seems to win their second games and for Lippi to blame exertions against Ghana for taking its toll is just a big nonsense, they had so much time to prepare and besides he has a good enough squad to rest tired players.
At one time Italy were meant to be playing 10 against 9 but in all honesty it was 8 against 9 as Perotta was injured and Gilardino was non existent.
I have not seen a more pathetic display from a striker in a very long time when you have a 1 man advantage, in fatc in the whole game apart from scoring, all he did was dive to get Pope to get 2 yellow cards. He was a pussy and very pathetic. Afetr getting Pope sent off, he never touched the ball until the 89th minute heading the ball wide. For 30 minutes, he did not touch the ball, that has to be some sort of record against 9 men
Toni was just as bad, offering absolutely nothing to the cause and it is in keeping with the pathetic referring that Onywenu did not get carded when he fouled more than anybody on the pitch.
I thought Cannavaro was as poor as at any time i have seen him play for Italy, giving the ball away cheaply and letting players run past him, and i was stupifyed to see football italia give him 7.
Nesta was good as was Gatusso when he came on, Pirlo was probably the best player for Italy whilst Zambrotta did provide energy but always seems to overdo things at times.
Totti should not have been taken off as far as im concerned as Toni ought to have gone at that time
You wonder why managers pick ceertain players and after Moggigate, your mind is now tuned in a certain direction for I cannot for the life of me see what Lippi likes in Zaccardo, he is clearly a poor player and that own goal was just shameful
DDr is a disgrace and i hope he never plays another game in this competition
Dp had some nice touches but his decision making for Italy has always been suspect and again it was eveident in some of his decisions last night as the ball he tried to pass to Gatusso or Iaquinta, i am sure for Juve he would have buried it
Iaquinta is not international class and getting offsided 5 secs after coming on is just unthinkable
I still think Marchionni should have been in this squad as he has pace and can come on to better effect than Iaquinta.
Its big decisions for Lippi from now on as I dont think they can win it with Toni and Gilardino in this form. Totti needs to completely step up as balls from insode your area looking for the runs of Gilardino and Toni won't always work, he should stop hiding and look for the ball constantly
:agree: on the bolded part.... totti was supposed to be there upfront and could've given italy another dimension and some quality that toni couldnt give at all.

the problem with totti is that he is playing those one time passes and the forwards r very slow and they cant make those fast runs like the ones mancini or taddie offer him at roma.
Also the other teams playing italy always find a way to close totti down and not give him an inch of space to run. So that way he is ineffective.

zaccardo played well in the 1st game and i wouldnt expect lippi to bench him in the 2nd one. Dont know wat will happen later

peckface

approaching curve
Oct 3, 2004
Every game in this group was very exciting in their own ways, and from what I have seen this got to be concidered the real group of death. Italy are deserved winners, their depth is just amazing and Italy will go very far in this tournament, without ever really impressing. Unlike Italy the Czechs really have problems with depth. When Koller got injured they just fall apart, and didn't have the spirit to win this shiznit anyway. Ghana are deserved runners up, they really showed some heart throw out the group stage, and the US are just unlucky to be in such a group. But to be honest, they were inferior in all three games they played and deserves no more then finishing forth.

peckface

approaching curve
Oct 3, 2004
Not around here, anyways. I don't say they were far superior of the states, just a bit better. Plus they had a dissallowed goal that should have been allowed, and they should have had a penalty if Iaquinta would just have 'lost his ballance'. Though in the end, a draw was a fair result.

And you guys deserves cred for the way you stood up with 9 men.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
it was great to see so many players and the italian management meeting nedved after the match.lippi,ferrara etc.it was nice to see.though i did feel awfully sorrow for him.he was the man of the match imo.

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #213
    Andy said:
    We were not inferior against Italy, that's for sure. Most people said we were the better team.
    Andy, this group was definitely thr best. All teams worked hard and it is only situations and unfortunately bad refereeing that decided. You cannot say that USA were better than Ghana and deserved to go through or the Czechs were but this si what happened.

I salute all four teams in this group and I am happy that all of them showed us good ootball games. Cheers for those who couldn't make it and good luck for those who did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)