Want to use my 5.1 speakers with laptop/iPod (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I used to use a 5.1 speaker setup for my computer, but I've since moved that machine out of the room, and now I just use a laptop.

Purely for the purpose of listening to music with my existing speaker setup, I was wondering if there was some kind of simple adapter I could plug into the headphone jack, which would allow me to get the some output into all of my speakers.

I'm aware of the 3.5mm stereo plug to two 3.5mm stereo socket adapters, but I'm looking for a way to use my sub and center speaker too.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
I used to use a 5.1 speaker setup for my computer, but I've since moved that machine out of the room, and now I just use a laptop.

Purely for the purpose of listening to music with my existing speaker setup, I was wondering if there was some kind of simple adapter I could plug into the headphone jack, which would allow me to get the some output into all of my speakers.

I'm aware of the 3.5mm stereo plug to two 3.5mm stereo socket adapters, but I'm looking for a way to use my sub and center speaker too.
ok look my friend had the same issue and all he did was go to radio shack and he bought this new connection where one end connects to the head phone/ speaker input on his lap top, while the other end is where u plug in the speakers jack into. and it works for him.

if this does'nt work gray i think u can pm bozi, as he helped me install my 5.1 surround system. i think he knows how to do it or at least has any bright ideas about the issue. i will ask my friend how he did it and get back to u as soon as i could.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

getting the sort of plug bisco mentions could make it work, but actually you won't get surround sound, you'll get emulation of it because the onboard soundcard on your laptop obviously doesn't support 5.1 output.

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    Thanks for the replies fellas.

I'm not worried about surround sound; as I said, it's just for listening to music. That said, should I expect to still hear at least left/right stereo output?

Also, does the plug you're referring to take the 3 inputs required (front left/right, rear left/right, center/sub) instead of just 2?

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I'm not worried about surround sound; as I said, it's just for listening to music. That said, should I expect to still hear at least left/right stereo output?
    you should yeah, the headphone jack that most of the laptops have supports stereo(left-right)

Also, does the plug you're referring to take the 3 inputs required (front left/right, rear left/right, center/sub) instead of just 2?
    i suppose so, yes. i haven't ever seen that converter, don't know why it shouldn't be real, but i suppose it's the same as like the the scart converter(one side scart on the other s-video, composite, right-left stereo), only with audio jacks on one side and the headphone plug on the other..

i'm by no means an expert but there are tons of connectors/converters out there, go to some techie store.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8
    you should yeah, the headphone jack that most of the laptops have supports stereo(left-right)
    Yep, my laptop's headphone jack supports stereo fo shizzle, but I'm not so sure about those adapters.

i'm by no means an expert but there are tons of connectors/converters out there, go to some techie store.
    Yep, that's the plan, but I won't be back in Australia and therefore my bedroom for another 7 months, but I like to plan these things ahead of time :D

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

gray said:
    Yep, my laptop's headphone jack supports stereo fo shizzle, but I'm not so sure about those adapters.
    100%. headphones are stereo aren't they? you have nothing to worry about there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)