Wannabe Linux User (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Hi guys. Looking at the geek humour threads and the deranged Mac users, I'm sure I've come to the right place for some advice.

I have a pc. If you have a problem with that, please go away.

Ah, now that Maxmc is gone, I can continue. :D I'm thinking about partitioning my hard drive and installing Linux in one side. The thing is, I'm a complete novice with this stuff. I can't just get rid of windows as my family would have a fit. So a few questions:

• My hard drive is 37GB. How much should I leave in each partition?
  • Does the partition wipe the drive - will I have to reinstall windows, etc.?
  • How hard is it to install Linux? I've heard that it requires a bit of work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Buy on AliExpress.com

maxmc

Jul 27, 2002
well, if u had a mac inserting the cd would do it... ;-)

but no fear i won't start another mac-pc discussion.. (just had one with my boss)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
LOL max, I hope your boss won :p;):)

mikhail, it's a bit of a broad subject but this is how I would do it:

1. use Partition Magic or similar to partition your drives without losing data, no win reinstall necessary, set up your disks like this:
01 windows system
02 - 09 any additional windows drives
10 linux boot - 100MB
11 linux root - 4-5GB
12 linux swap - 2x your physical RAM, no more than 256MB

no need to format them all, the linux ones will get formatted during install

2. choose mandrake if you're a complete newbie, it's the easiest linux I've ever seen, burn the images on cds and just boot from the first cd, everything is menu based from there on. use the documentation on the mandrake site to guide you.

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    :thumb: Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it.

Just one question arising immediately:
    "02 - 09 any additional windows drives"
    :confused: Why have additional partitions for windows? Surely one big one is enough?

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    LOL max, I hope your boss won :p;):)

mikhail, it's a bit of a broad subject but this is how I would do it:

1. use Partition Magic or similar to partition your drives without losing data, no win reinstall necessary, set up your disks like this:
    01 windows system
    02 - 09 any additional windows drives
    10 linux boot - 100MB
    11 linux root - 4-5GB
    12 linux swap - 2x your physical RAM, no more than 256MB

no need to format them all, the linux ones will get formatted during install

2. choose mandrake if you're a complete newbie, it's the easiest linux I've ever seen, burn the images on cds and just boot from the first cd, everything is menu based from there on. use the documentation on the mandrake site to guide you.
    why 10 for linux boot!
    why can't it be 2?

I have about 37.5 Gigs. when i reformatted the sucker, i made one partition for windows (32.5 G) and i left 5 Gigs unpartitioned. is that enough for the linux boot, root and swap?
    i guess i can just start with the CD step since i already have unpartitioned space (no name, no format), right?!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    That's okay. Is there any advantage to it though?
    I keep my docs on a separate partition, my software, etc. Only the system files on c, I like it that way.

Majed, that was just an example (jeez), course you can use the 2nd instead ;)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002

I keep my docs on a separate partition, my software, etc. Only the system files on c, I like it that way.

Majed, that was just an example (jeez), course you can use the 2nd instead ;)
    if it was so obvious like that, what's the point for the wierd example! :p :D

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
    I have never really understood why people don't like Windows. I got XP three weeks ago and I haven't had any problems at all with it, it kicks ass really.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #13
    ++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++
    I have never really understood why people don't like Windows. I got XP three weeks ago and I haven't had any problems at all with it, it kicks ass really.
    Xp gives me an error message every time I open it. It insists that I email Microsoft. I have done so many times, with no effect.

Thankfully, the problem's cleared up since I formatted my hard drive (unwillingly - was corrupted) last week.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #15
    Zambro, it's a matter of preference ;)

mikhail, click my signature :)
    I've read it. Thanks Martin. I can't get round to installing it yet though.

:eek: I have an exam on Monday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)