Viola Going for it all this year? (1 Viewer)

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
Maresca said:
I think he could be a great striker.. he is young and talented.
WTF is wrong with bojinov. He is only playing in coppa italia.
Mate,I think the main reason is because of the tactiacs with only one striker and that is Toni!

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
As long as Fiorentina don't bust their finances I'm happy to see a club steadfastly investing to move a level up, filling the void which Parma left and Roma failed to consistently fulfill. Sure, splashing the cash for success may not be the best thing to do in the long term and sends out all sorts of wrong messages, but for the sake of Italian football I wish them well.

OP
Hambon

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
Apr 22, 2005
  • Thread Starter #27
    Viola make Materazzi move

Friday 13 January, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fiorentina have made an approach for Inter defender Marco Materazzi after losing out on Nemanja Vidic to Manchester United.

The move was confirmed today by Materazzi’s agent, Alessandro Moggi, who said that the Nerazzurri are mulling over the proposal, which was initially lodged in the summer.

"Fiorentina have once again enquired about the possibility of Materazzi wearing a Viola shirt," Moggi told the club’s official website.

"The deal could be complicated but you should never say never - Inter don’t know if they want to let the player go."

The defender’s contract doesn’t expire until 2009, but given Coach Roberto Mancini’s preference for a defensive partnership of Ivan Cordoba and Walter Samuel, Materazzi could be tempted by at least a loan move to Tuscany in order to keep his World Cup prospects alive.

The 32-year-old made an unimpressive return from a lengthy absence with a knee injury in last night’s Italian Cup tie against Parma.

He was lucky to avoid conceding a penalty and receiving a red card for hauling down Francesco Ruopolo in the closing stages of the match.

The Gigliati, meanwhile, attempted to lure the Italy centre-back to the Stadio Artemio Franchi in the summer.

The deal collapsed, though, after Walter Samuel was banned for the first three Serie A matches of the season for spitting at Pavel Nedved during the Italian Super Cup match against Juventus

OP
    Hambon

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
    Apr 22, 2005
  • Thread Starter #28
    Jimenez pens Viola deal

Friday 13 January, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fiorentina have completed the signing of Luis Antonio Jimenez and revealed that they do not intend to replace injured goalkeeper Sebastien Frey.

The Viola have been in pursuit of the precocious Jimenez for several weeks, following the midfielder’s impressive progress at Ternana since joining in the 2002-03 season and making his debut in Serie B at just 18 years of age.

The 21-year-old Chilean has been a regular fixture in the team ever since, scoring 24 goals in 88 appearances for the Umbrian outfit, prompting the Gigliati to buy out half of the registration of their first transfer market swoop of 2006.

The arrival of a goalkeeper to replace the injured Frey, however, is looking less likely after the Tuscan side suggested that they will look in-house for their shot-stopping cover rather than elsewhere.

Matteo Sereni was said to be heading a list of names including Francesco Toldo, but now it seems that the Florentine club will give deputy goalkeepers Marco Roccati and Cristian Cejas a chance to shine instead.

"We will look at who we have here," said sporting director Pantaleo Corvino in an interview with Radio Blu. "At the moment everyone is trying to take advantage of the situation by spreading false rumours.

"I don’t think that we can go mad," he added. "We need to take account of the price of players as compared to their quality and we need to be careful not to be taken for a ride."

Corvino also commented on the rumour which is circling around striker Valeri Bojinov, who has been linked with a possible move to misfiring Inter.

"The speculation surrounding Bojinov is exactly the same as that which had Luca Toni going to Barcelona," he explained. "They are aimed at creating instability within the camp - Bojinov is staying because he is happy here."

Further signings are unlikely at the Stadio Artemio Franchi, then, with Fiorentina recognising that team spirit has been instrumental in getting them as high as fourth in Serie A thus far this season.

"The squad has a lot of quality and bringing in new players could prove risky," continued Corvino. "If there is someone on the transfer market who can add more quality to the side all well and good, but otherwise we are fine as we are."

OP
    Hambon

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
    Apr 22, 2005
  • Thread Starter #29
    Sereni switch now in doubt

Thursday 12 January, 2006

Matteo Sereni’s agent has doubts that his client’s proposed move from Lazio to Fiorentina will be completed.

The goalkeeper has been targeted by the Viola after Sebastien Frey was ruled out for at least three months with a knee injury.

It had looked like Sereni was on his way to the Stadio Franchi only this afternoon, but Dario Canovi has this evening admitted there are problems.

"I know that the two clubs have met and discussed the issue," Canovi stated. "Sereni has given his blessing to the talks.

"However, in the last few hours, I seem to have understood that there are a few difficulties in the talks.

"Perhaps Fiorentina haven’t agreed with Lazio’s demands. For now all has stopped. Will the move collapse? Maybe it already has."

Should that be the case then the Tuscan giants could make a move for Inter reserve Francesco Toldo, who is still loved by the Viola fans given his Florence past.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    hambon said:
    Viola make Materazzi move

Friday 13 January, 2006

Fiorentina have made an approach for Inter defender Marco Materazzi after losing out on Nemanja Vidic to Manchester United.

The move was confirmed today by Materazzi’s agent, Alessandro Moggi, who said that the Nerazzurri are mulling over the proposal, which was initially lodged in the summer.

"Fiorentina have once again enquired about the possibility of Materazzi wearing a Viola shirt," Moggi told the club’s official website.

"The deal could be complicated but you should never say never - Inter don’t know if they want to let the player go."

The defender’s contract doesn’t expire until 2009, but given Coach Roberto Mancini’s preference for a defensive partnership of Ivan Cordoba and Walter Samuel, Materazzi could be tempted by at least a loan move to Tuscany in order to keep his World Cup prospects alive.

The 32-year-old made an unimpressive return from a lengthy absence with a knee injury in last night’s Italian Cup tie against Parma.

He was lucky to avoid conceding a penalty and receiving a red card for hauling down Francesco Ruopolo in the closing stages of the match.

The Gigliati, meanwhile, attempted to lure the Italy centre-back to the Stadio Artemio Franchi in the summer.

The deal collapsed, though, after Walter Samuel was banned for the first three Serie A matches of the season for spitting at Pavel Nedved during the Italian Super Cup match against Juventus
    what the f-ck----fiorentina want to fight for relegation again....:D

OP
    Hambon

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
    Apr 22, 2005
  • Thread Starter #35
    Viola close cheque book

Fiorentina have stated they are unlikely to make any further moves in the transfer market following Luis Jimenez's capture.

The club landed Jimenez in a joint ownership from Serie B side Ternana, but with little quality available the club do not want to bring in more faces for the sake of it.

"We wanted a winger, we wanted Jimenez and we are happy to have him," explained Corvino.

"Following this signing, Fiorentina's transfer market is practically closed. There aren't the players around that would enhance our quality."

Meanwhile, Jimenez have revealed his delight at making the switch to Stadio Artemio Franchi.

"I'm here to play with this jersey," stated the Chilean. "I hope to repeat what I did in Serie B to repay the club for their faith in me.

"It will be very emotional playing in Serie A, I know I'll have to earn my place in the starting eleven."

Corvino also ruled out signing a goalkeeper to replace the injured Sebastien Frey, meaning reported moves for Matteo Sereni or Francesco Toldo are unlikely to develop.
    Fiorentina will instead stick with Marco Roccati and Cristian Cejas to provide goalkeeping back-up.

OP
    Hambon

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
    Apr 22, 2005
  • Thread Starter #36
    Surprise: Fiorentina Sign Kroldrup!

Serie A side Fiorentina have announced the signing of Danish defender Pier Kroldrup from Everton, on Thursday.
    The signing comes a bit as a surprise as the purple outfit’s sports director Corvino had said a couple days ago that there were no players that interested the club.

Kroldrup joined Everton over the course of last summer from Serie A outfit Udinese for 7 million Euros.

OP
    Hambon

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
    Apr 22, 2005
  • Thread Starter #37
    Viola sign Ajax goalkeeper Lobont

Friday 20 January, 2006

Fiorentina have found Sebastien Frey’s replacement by officially signing Ajax goalkeeper Bogdan Lobont.

The 28-year-old shot-stopper is a Romanian international who moved from Rapid Bucharest in 2000, playing 68 games for the Dutch masters.

His contract was set to expire in June 2008 and the permanent move has been completed, announced the official Ajax website.

Fiorentina had claimed they would not sign a replacement for Frey ,who is out for the rest of the season after knee ligament surgery.

Lobont is a familiar face to Italian football fans, as he performed a series of stunning saves in Milan’s 3-2 win over Ajax in the 2003 Champions League quarter-finals.

The Tuscan outfit also signed Everton defender Per Kroldrup, but have lost Marco Di Loreto for around 10 days with a thigh injury.

Fight Club

Dec 14, 2005
    Krøldrup is pretty good, 3mio euros was it? good defender for that price.
    where do they come up with all this money, how deep pockets does the new owner have? I mean, look what happened to them last time. but hey good luck to them...just not when we meet them.

btw this is off topic, but how well is Carlo Cudicini rated in Italy?
    just curious why any top italian teams haven't brought him back to Italy yet.
    I mean, before Cech came, Cudicini was one of the best keepers in england.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)