Vieri says 'ugly' Italian football must change (1 Viewer)

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
MILAN, July 16 (Reuters) - Italy and Inter Milan striker Christian Vieri says Italian football has become 'ugly' and believes that the English and Spanish leagues are now more entertaining.

The powerful striker also criticised Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni's cautious approach at the recent World Cup finals.

Italy were knocked out in the second round after a 'golden goal' defeat to co-hosts South Korea - a result which follows three seasons of failure for Italian clubs in European competition.

'We need to change mentality - that is the problem with everything here,' Vieri was quoted as saying in Tuesday's Gazzetta Dello Sport. 'Today in Italy we play badly, we produce ugly football.

'The Spanish and English championships are more entertaining, more spectacular. Our football is behind in respect to the others.

'You can hear Italian coaches abroad say that as well.'

Vieri, whose four goals in South Korea and Japan made him his country's joint all-time top scorer in World Cup finals with a total of nine, said Italy had been too worried about their opponents.

'Notwithstanding everything that happened we should have gone forward in that tournament because we were much stronger,' he said.

'That is the truth that adds to the disappointment - with the attackers we had we should have had more belief,' said Vieri, referring to Alessandro Del Piero, Filippo Inzaghi and Vincenzo Montella, who spent much of the tournament on the subs bench.

'Instead we thought too much about the opposition and that, in my opinion, was our problem.

'Have you heard what Ronaldo said? 'We play with three or four attackers because we are Brazil - it is the others who should be worried about us'.

'There you go, I would like to be able to say the same - 'We are Italy'. If you think about the other team you are not strong.'

The Serie A season kicks off on September 1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
imo, he's right..

Buy on AliExpress.com

babyblue

Jul 13, 2002
i think vieri is right. Italy has great attackers who are able to create more chances to score. and that could release the backfielders' stress.
trap shouldn't have been that conservative.
what's more, italy should give more chances to those young players of their own country.

OP
Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    quite rarely had Italy have so much striking potential. and yet Paolo Rossi scored more in '82 than Italy did this WC. quite disappointing :(

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Right on "Bobo"! Vieri is right,Trap was way too defensive. He had world class strikers like Del Piero,Montella and Inzaghi on the bench for most of the tournament. That is just dumb.

modan

Jul 13, 2002
    he's right, we need better and more attacking coaches like del nieri, and we should play fancy football, like brazil, the aim not being to win, but to entertain and to make soccer the ~Beautiful Game~

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Well i have been advocating this for months as Italy's style is to do as little as possibnle to win and sadly nothing seems to have been done about it.
    Trap has been given the go ahead to continue and since he is still begging Maldini to stay expect the same as before ie more Di livio and Gatusso

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    2 more years with Trap is like having 2 more years added on your prison sentence :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    Ok that's enough, thank you.
    I was talking about Polynesian needle torture, wuite commonly used on fellons. I can't image what you were thinking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)