Vieira downplays Gunners hopes (1 Viewer)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Juventus star Patrick Vieira has stoked the fires ahead of his UEFA Champions League return to Highbury by claiming that he has a much better chance of winning Europe's top prize after leaving Arsenal.

The French international enjoyed nine glittering years in North London but under Arsene Wenger The Gunners have never managed to progress past the quarter finals.

In a twist of fate that football so often throws up, Arsenal were drawn against Juventus in the last eight this season to set up a speedy reunion with their former captain after a summer move to Serie A.

Whilst admitting he is looking forward to returning to the scene of former glories on March 28, Vieira also conceded he had no qualms about ending his association with The Gunners as Juve presented him with a more viable chance to triumph in the UEFA Champions League.

"This is the strongest team I have ever played in," Vieira told the News of the World.

"I had to turn the page on Arsenal and I've done that, now I feel I am in a team who have a great chance of going all the way.

"I had nine years at Arsenal but I felt like I needed to re-launch my career.

"When I came to Juventus I always knew I was coming to a side who would have the players to go far in the Champions League.

"I didn't ever feel confident we would win the trophy [at Arsenal], we never seemed to be complete enough, it's different at Juventus.

"I've no regrets about leaving Arsenal, it's proved to be a fantastic move for me and I'm sure there are better things to come."

The French international was a vastly popular figure at Highbury as he took over the captain's armband from Tony Adams, and Vieira can be expected to receive a warm welcome as he appears for the last time at the famous old stadium.

"I'm really looking forward to returning to London and the fans are a big reason why," Vieira added.

"It will be a strong emotional thing for me, an exceptional event, and who would have thought it would come so soon?

"I remember the atmosphere at Highbury, the way the supporters create it is something unique."

-Sky Sports

Buy on AliExpress.com

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
What a guy... this was the best:

"When I came to Juventus I always knew I was coming to a side who would have the players to go far in the Champions League.

It is to risky to say those things,espacially if Arsenal knocks us out!:D

Feb 27, 2005
I can't wait for this match, it's going to be huge for Vieira, im sure he will show them what they are missing out on. It would be great to get a win there, i know it's tough, but if Inter can do it, we can do it better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)