Van Hooijdonk & De Boer warn England (2 Viewers)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Former Celtic and Nottingham Forest striker Pierre van Hooijdonk has warned the English national team that they will face hell when they play Turkey in 13 days time on his new home ground. Van Hooijdonk, who swapped Feyenoord for Fenerbahce during the summer, has discovered at first hand how visiting teams to the Fernerbahce stadium are recieved with a 'Welcome from Hell'. Van Hooijdonk: "It is the most intimidating ground in the country. The Turks have deliberately picked this stadium because it's the only one without an athletic track around the pitch. The fans are right on top of you. Now I enjoy the support. They are incredibly fanatical. But when I was here last year with Feyenoord in the Champions League, I was amazed by the scenes in the stands and on the pitch. Our goalkeeper Edwin Zoetebier almost finished up like a kebab, when a fan threw a metal spear into his goal."

Dutch international record defender Frank de Boer, who swapped Barcelona for Turkish outfit Galatasaray, has also experienced Fernerbahce's welcome and agrees that England face a difficult task there. De Boer: "That was only a local game. You can imagine what the match between Turkey and England is going to be like. I have been in a lot of ill-tempered games and have seen fans go crazy when Real Madrid have taken on Barcelona. But nothing could match the ferocity of the Turks. I won't say anything bad about them, but I can tell you that not a lot has to happen for things to explode.''

Van Hooijdonk added: "I have been all over Europe, but nowhere are the fans as passionate as here in Istanbul. It's Celtic v Rangers but ten times worse."

Taken from www.footballnl.com

--------------------------------------------------------

Sounds serious (and cool, in a way). I wonder what'll happen, hopefully nothing bad!

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jul 12, 2002
I dont' know about all that. I've been at the Nou Camp to see Real vs Barca and I've seen Rangers vs. Celtic. It's hard to imagine anything more intense.

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #12
    ++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
    too bad i'll be on a plane from the united states. :extatic:
    From? You're returning to the Continent or? If so; welcome back! :thumb:

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++

From? You're returning to the Continent or? If so; welcome back! :thumb:
    yes, to sweet old continent. with all the alcohol you can get from 18 and....
    eeeh... who cares, all the alcohol from 18 :extatic:

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Bongiovi ] ++
    Well this is one match I cant wait to see....at last some entertainment on tv...
    You expect England vs. Turkey to be entertaining? I can't think of two teams that I'd like to see less. They're sooooo boring.

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
    this is very very hard match for england.it will be war and not match.yelow cards red cards fights troubles people coming in stadium raping murder :D
    i don't advise englisf fans to go to turkey.cuz turks are serious people and any stupid thing from an english hooligan can turn to a big trouble.

Bongiovi

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

You expect England vs. Turkey to be entertaining? I can't think of two teams that I'd like to see less. They're sooooo boring.
    No sorry you misunderstood me...I was being sarcastic...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)