Urgent: Computer Help! (1 Viewer)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
I just woke up and went to my laptop, lift up the screen and everything is fine, move my mouse and all of a sudden the light dims. So I tried re-booting but nothing. And everytime I press that little lid button on the corner the bright light flickers.

Any reason why? Will it fix itself after it's cooled down or something?

Please respond quickly if you know, Im about to go back to Uni in a few minutes.

Thanx

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
This will sound dim, but it happens: check that it's plugged in, and that the plug is working (there should be a light on the computer if it's charging, and another on the transformer, both of which will turn off if you plug it out).

OP
Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3
    Yea, I checked it's charging. When I plug the cord back into it the lightning symbol pops up and then the middle one starts to blink which it does when the computer is running and the battery's fully charged. The charger has been in the entire time.

:worriedlikehell:

Cuti

The Real MC
    Jul 30, 2006
    was there a power cut? Cause sometimes there will be a power surge after it would have gone and it shorts whatever is plugged in

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #6
    No, not that I know of. I mean the laptop was perfectly ok. The only thing I can think of is that I've been using it since Friday night without turning it off or hybernating it. And sometimes the bottom of it gets kinda hot, but that has happened before and thi s has never happened.

btw, the last thing I did on it was that I had a S-video cable hooked up and I was watching a movie, and then I put down the lid and went to bed. Now I tried plugging in the S-Video and looking at the screen on the tv, and it's fine.

:confused:

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #8
    I'm trying to, and I'm looking at the TV via my S-video but I can't read anything for shit.

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #10
    I don't know what do there bro. Shit, I'm off to the eastern shore.

I'll reward the person who solves my problem generously.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I just woke up and went to my laptop, lift up the screen and everything is fine, move my mouse and all of a sudden the light dims. So I tried re-booting but nothing. And everytime I press that little lid button on the corner the bright light flickers.

Any reason why? Will it fix itself after it's cooled down or something?

Please respond quickly if you know, Im about to go back to Uni in a few minutes.

Thanx
    I had a similar problem, and when I took my laptop in to get serviced, the techie said "you've been plugging in too many USB devices (which is true), and that damaged your chipset". I'm not quite sure about that, but I got it replaced and everything was dandy...

Basically what I'm saying is that if you're experiencing the same thing I am, it's a hardware problem that's beyond your ability to fix.

Jul 23, 2006
    i think i've faced a similar situation be4
    whenever i try to boot my computer, the screen works fine but after a sec or 2 it disappears
    a red light instead of a yellow light will show, true?/

it's one of two things:
    - motherboard problem
    - something's wrong with the RAM

send it to a computer shop, they'll fix it for u

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    I had a similar problem, and when I took my laptop in to get serviced, the techie said "you've been plugging in too many USB devices (which is true), and that damaged your chipset". I'm not quite sure about that, but I got it replaced and everything was dandy...

Basically what I'm saying is that if you're experiencing the same thing I am, it's a hardware problem that's beyond your ability to fix.
    How much is too many devices? I am considering a huge jump in my devices in the coming few days :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I use a USB hub, and at any given time I'd have my laptop cooler, external DVD burner, mouse, external HDD, iPod and camera plugged in.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Oh! That's quite a lot, yes. I am often using one external HD and I am planning to get another one, and the mouse is plugged on another USB port. I guess I'm fine.

Why don't you get an externally powered USB hub?

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #17
    This shit is weird. I kept tapping the little button that opens and closes the screen and it works. I hope the screen doesn't go out again though.

Thanks for your advice people.

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #18
    So my laptop is a gonner. The backlight doesn't work at all anymore and I don't wanna pay the repair costs. I think I'm just gonna buy a new laptop. You guys have any suggestions?

The laptop I have, I bought like 3 years ago. I custom built it on HP's website.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I just got a MacBook Pro for my new job, and it is sweet as candy, bro. Sure, you're going to get the Windows types complaining about compatibility. But I haven't used a Mac regularly for a good 15+ years, and it definitely is a step up -- even if it costs a slight premium.

Toss Parallels on it, and you can run any Windows apps you want too. And you have a Unix shell built right into the OS. It's pretty damn slick... I made the right choice in switching rather than asking for another Win laptop when I started here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)