UK Politics (10 Viewers)

OP
Red

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #623
    Why anyone listens to what Russel Brand has to say on anything I will never know.
    Indeed.

I'm reluctant to be overly critical of Brand on the basis that he does seem to be prepared to devote his time to some worthwhile causes.

But I find it hard to believe there are many people out there who are daft enough to have waited to hear what he had to say before deciding who to vote for.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    I'm reluctant to be overly critical of Brand on the basis that he does seem to be prepared to devote his time to some worthwhile causes.
    Staying relevant seems to be important to him, I mean, what else does he do?

I do like how people are running scared of Scotland having some say in London, even if I do believe it shouldn't be the case anyway (you can say the opposite way is also true, or should be limited). I won't be voting for Labour or Milliband anyway, he doesn't seem cut out to be Prime Minister. I seem to have little real choice, truth be told. Must be nice to have a national party to come back to.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #625
    I just hope people will wake up to the mess that the current system is.

There is going to be a big hoo-hah when the Tories win the most seats, but no majority and probably won't have any way of forming a government because of the Lib Dems not getting enough seats this time to top things up.

Milliband will be denounced as an illegitimate Prime Minister having not won the election.

The SNP will end up with the power to make a difference by gaining about 10% of the total seats despite only getting 5% of the UK vote.

The sooner a new system is in place and coalition governments are expected, so parties are open about that prospect through the campaign, the better.

I know there was the referendum on changing the system a few years ago, but the proposed system was shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Still haven't decided who I'll vote for.

I'm probably more closely aligned to the Greens than any parties who may gain power.

Priority is to get the Tories out, though, which would mean voting for the Lab-SNP bloc.

My constituency is SNP v Lib Dem, so a tactical vote would be for the SNP, even though I don't find that a terribly appealing prospect.

Decisions, decisions...

Boksic

May 11, 2005
    None of the parties are appealing which is the problem.

Personally, I don't see the big issue with Conservatives in Scotland (most seems to relate to issues with Thatcher 25/30 years ago). They have done a decent job considering what they were left with and seem to have the least moronic policies.

Labour I think would have a good chance if they had a better leader, just can't see Milliband being a prime minister. But they also seem to base their policies on what is a popular news headline i.e. Bankers are evil lets limit their bonuses regardless of how much money they generate for their business. Or lets tax businesses more because big business is evil regardless of its effect on the economy.

SNP....less said the better in my opinion, especially as they seem intent to spend their way out of trouble which is a scary prospect.

Lib Dems seem alright, I like some of their policies but are they ever going to win? I liked that they pushed for the increase in the personal tax allowance last time.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #627

Boksic

May 11, 2005
    I'm no fan of the SNP, but I don't see why spending to stimulate growth is a scary prospect, provided it is done correctly.

I'd like everyone in Britain to be forced to read this before voting: http://www.theguardian.com/business/ng-interactive/2015/apr/29/the-austerity-delusion
    I like Paul Krugman and I am not against spending more but the level the SNP are talking about is way too much.

The economy finally seems to be on track after the recession and numerous economists/researchers have commented on how strong it is just now and we are on the right track in terms of growth. I don't think that there really is a need for drastic spending.

Even taking spending out of the equation, there are more than enough reasons for me to avoid voting for the SNP.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #629
    It's still a poor recovery.

And that recovery is being disproportionately felt by the wealthy.

Both of those things suggest to me that a greater level of intervention is needed by the government.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
    It's still a poor recovery.

And that recovery is being disproportionately felt by the wealthy.

Both of those things suggest to me that a greater level of intervention is needed by the government.
    Not sure I agree with you on that one. Given where we were and where we are now I don't see how you can say it is a poor recovery.

Not convinced that only the wealthy have benefited given the number of businesses who have done wel, particularly small ones and the job creation.

But it seems we are on different ends of the scale politically so not sure we will agree on this one.....

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    :D

Just did an extensive quiz based on the manifesto of each party. Came out 50% Lib Dem, 25% Tory, 25% UKIP.

On the Independent one it was roughly 20% for every one, give or take change.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
    That was pretty much clear if I followed the whole thing correctly.

The question is if their seats together with the ones of the Lib Dems are enough to form a coalition. According to the first poll, it is :depressed

- - - Updated - - -

Damn the UK voting system seems to suck almost as much as the US-American one.

I mean I knew about the House of Lords, but the local-based MP system of the House of Commons was something I wasn't aware of.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #640
    He'll have to because his party will force him to.

- - - Updated - - -

No-one else watching the results coming in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)