UK Politics (11 Viewers)

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
dont worry, there will be a general election soon,either they will get a majority or labour might be able to do something with the lib dems, but i would rather the torries held a majority then what is now going to happen.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I'm not sure it a PR referendum. A lot of places are saying it will be AV.
That'll be a tougher sell. The "breaks the link with the voters" argument SKY and the Tories like so much actually partly applies to it.

Breaking news: Former Prime Minister Gordon Brown takes Chief Market Strategist role at Barclay's Capital precious metals trading desk.
:biggrin:

OP
Red

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #285
    dont worry, there will be a general election soon,either they will get a majority or labour might be able to do something with the lib dems, but i would rather the torries held a majority then what is now going to happen.
    It'll be interesting to see how the coalition goes.

They have supposedly tied themselves to it for a fixed period (3 or 4 years depending what you read), so it may be awkward to call an election unless both sides agree to it.

That'll be a tougher sell. The "breaks the link with the voters" argument SKY and the Tories like so much actually partly applies to it.
    I like the Additional Member System in Scotland. Nice compromise.

Never in my years of studying electoral systems in Modern Studies at school did I think any of it would actually become relevant. :D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    They have supposedly tied themselves to it for a fixed period (3 or 4 years depending what you read), so it may be awkward to call an election unless both sides agree to it.
    There are a lot of tough decisions ahead of them. I can see the Lib Dems being tempted to break the government a few times. They might resist that, or not.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #288
    It's going to be very interesting to see how things go.

Suggestion is the Tories are already looking at chucking VAT up to 20%.

This comes all of two weeks after they said they had 'no plans' to raise VAT.

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jan 30, 2008

Politicians will say anything to get into power. Liers the lot of them.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #292
    It's 17.5% here.

Dropped down to 15% for a few months when the government tried to get folk spending money to get the economy moving a bit.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #294
    It was only meant to be a temporary thing.

Don't know if it worked.

Saving £2.50 when spending £100 didn't make me spend more.

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jan 30, 2008
    It was only meant to be a temporary thing.

Don't know if it worked.

Saving £2.50 when spending £100 didn't make me spend more.
    As Red said, I was not in a hurry to go out and spend and when I did, I did not notice the difference anyway. Should of scrapped VAT all together that would of got people spending.

Boksic

May 11, 2005

Is it not that the government are increasing VAT to 20% in order to accommodate the Lib Dems proposal of £10,000 tax free allowance?

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #297
    My impression was that the LiB Dem tax policy would be largely covered by the scapping of the Tory IHT plans.

I may be wrong, but I've seen it suggested a VAT rise would be a deficit reduction measure, rather than anything else.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
    My impression was that the LiB Dem tax policy would be largely covered by the scapping of the Tory IHT plans.

I may be wrong, but I've seen it suggested a VAT rise would be a deficit reduction measure, rather than anything else.
    Pretty sure that the tax allowance is being going to be funded by increased VAT and Capital Gains Tax increases

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
    Aug 22, 2007
    Our (T&T) general election is tomorrow. And it's sad how in this age that people are still determining their votes on race, history and alliance. Issues aren't the primary focus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)