UEFA U-21 C'Ship (1 Viewer)

OP
dpforever

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #103
    The 3-0 scorline might sound flattering but the Azzurrini really deserved to win the match and the title. Out of all competing teams, they looked the most mature and professional.

Gilardino's finishing was the Azzurrini's best weapon through the tournament, as he scored 4 goals despite missing 1 match through suspension.

De Rossi also had a good tournament, he didn't start with the team but slowly progressed and proved that he desrves a place with the squad.

I was also impressed with the team's strong defence (Serbia didn't have a single shot at Amelia). Barzagli was the surprise of the tournament. He came to replace the injured Cannavaro and played like a rock. I believe a bright future awaits him. Bovo also did well in general along with fullbacks Bonera and Moretti.

There was also solid performances from other players like Sculli (not in the first match and the final though), Mesto, Donadel, Palombo and Del Nero.

This is the 5th U-21 C'ship for Italy in the last 7 titles. They won it in 92, 94, 96, 98, and now in 04. Hopefully, the senior Azzurri follow their example and win the Euro2004 !!

incomplex

Mar 2, 2004
    i wonder why we failed to translate the success of our Under 21 to senior team..
    clearly there is something special abt this group.. but yet only a couple of them managed to get into the Senior team

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Congrats to the Azzurrini for going through.

I was following Portugal-Switzerland. The Swiss really put on the first half pressure, knowing they had to score an away goal. They clearly caught Portugal flat-footed and dominated the midfield, taking advantage of some spotty marking for the 1-0 lead (this after gaining their only goal in the first leg by a keeper blunder in the second minute). But Portugal came back from halftime like an entirely different squad, putting away two goals not long after halftime.

It is interesting to see how many U-21 NTs are calling up stars who have since graduated to the "adult" NTs...

Geof

May 14, 2004
    Belgium-Ukraine 1-3.

The Diablotins were unbeaten in the group stage, and won the first leg 3-2 in Ukraine.

So everybody was very optimistic for the 2nd leg. We were even leading 1-0 at half time, when everithing collapsed. It was like a nightmare, and Ukraine scored 3 goals, thus eliminating the Belgians...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)