UEFA Team of the Year.. Final Squad Announced (1 Viewer)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

Actually there were some pretty questionable inclusions and exclusions from the Ballon d'Or votes.

Ummm aren't Henry, Nedved and Zidane from Europe too?
actually the best player in the world award is a little different than the best player in europe award.so its not surprising at all if the best player in the world is not the best player in europe.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Earlier on you guys were discussing who's the better player; Zambrotta or Roberto Carlos. In all honesty I believe that the former is the more complete footballer. You may say that I'm being biassed because Gianluca plays for Juve, but imho, both Carlos and Zambro excel in attack, and very well too, but Carlos can't really defend. I know that Zamboy isn't the soundest defender either, but he's a few steps ahead of Carlos as far as I'm concerned, and plus, the Brazilian isn't going to give you that amazing work ethic that Zambrotta does. Forza Zamby!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
actually the best player in the world award is a little different than the best player in europe award.so its not surprising at all if the best player in the world is not the best player in europe.
That's not really logical to me. Sure, maybe they should give the two awards to different players just for the sake of keeping the awards interesting.. but i don't really see the difference.

I live in a suburb in Sydney. If I was the the best footballer in Sydney, wouldn't that make me the best footballer in my suburb??

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

That's not really logical to me. Sure, maybe they should give the two awards to different players just for the sake of keeping the awards interesting.. but i don't really see the difference.

I live in a suburb in Sydney. If I was the the best footballer in Sydney, wouldn't that make me the best footballer in my suburb??
no it isnt that way,what i mean(this is what i heard)is that they chose the best player in the world putting more emphasis on NT level,while they choose the best player in Europe putting more emphasis on club level.

PS:i think its that way,thats what i heard anyway.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
Earlier on you guys were discussing who's the better player; Zambrotta or Roberto Carlos. In all honesty I believe that the former is the more complete footballer. You may say that I'm being biassed because Gianluca plays for Juve, but imho, both Carlos and Zambro excel in attack, and very well too, but Carlos can't really defend. I know that Zamboy isn't the soundest defender either, but he's a few steps ahead of Carlos as far as I'm concerned, and plus, the Brazilian isn't going to give you that amazing work ethic that Zambrotta does. Forza Zamby!
actually R.Carlos gives more work ethic than Zambrotta IMO.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
no it isnt that way,what i mean(this is what i heard)is that they chose the best player in the world putting more emphasis on NT level,while they choose the best player in Europe putting more emphasis on club level.

PS:i think its that way,thats what i heard anyway.
Okay, so what if say, Kaka single-handly wins the scudetto for Milan this season, scoring 50 goals. He can't participate in the European Championships, so his national team achievements are close to zero.

On the other hand, say Del Piero scores a hat-trick in every match in Portugal, and Italy win the tournament.

Does that mean that Kaka would get the European player of the year award, and Del Piero would get the World Player of the Year award (because his achievements at NT level are greater) despite the fact that his national team achievements were in the European Championships?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Okay, so what if say, Kaka single-handly wins the scudetto for Milan this season, scoring 50 goals. He can't participate in the European Championships, so his national team achievements are close to zero.

On the other hand, say Del Piero scores a hat-trick in every match in Portugal, and Italy win the tournament.

Does that mean that Kaka would get the European player of the year award, and Del Piero would get the World Player of the Year award (because his achievements at NT level are greater) despite the fact that his national team achievements were in the European Championships?
i said this
no it isnt that way,what i mean(this is what i heard)is that they chose the best player in the world putting more emphasis on NT level,while they choose the best player in Europe putting more emphasis on club level
but that doesnt mean that the Fifa award forgets club level,no they actually look at the players performances overall(club and NT)putting a little more emphasis on NT level.
the Ballon d'or is the other way round.But again i say, i might be wrong,i dont know much about these awards.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Fred, read my post again. I wrote it in reply to yours. According to your system, the situation i described is logical, but do u really agree with it?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Fred, read my post again. I wrote it in reply to yours. According to your system, the situation i described is logical, but do u really agree with it?
no i dont agree with it,but i'll tell you to read my last post,so you'll see why the situation you described isnt logical with the system i described.

gray

Apr 22, 2003

You said that the World Player is judged more on NT performances, and that would mean Del Piero would get the award. Kaka would get the European Player award.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
Check your PMs, gray.
Hmmm I think that site i downloaded it from doesn't host the files anymore, cos they were there months ago. It'd probably just be easier for me to send it to you on a CD or something dude :D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
what do you mean by R Carlos has more 'work ethics'?
well my English isnt very good i'm not sure how to describe it,but anyway i mean that he works more on the field than Zambro.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

You said that the World Player is judged more on NT performances, and that would mean Del Piero would get the award. Kaka would get the European Player award.
ya actually the DP part happened in 2002 when Ronaldo won it,his club achievments were less than zero at the time since he didnt play much with Inter at that year,yet he got the best player in the year award,cuz he led Brazil to thw WC and he was the top goalscorer.

Dec 27, 2003
The Fifa Player of the Year Award is a travesty. I think I have elaborated enough on the matter in another thread.

As regards the Ballon d'Or, what we have seen in past editions is that in years where a major tournament is held (Euro or WC), the trophy always goes to either the topscorer of the tournament or to the star player of the team that wins it, no matter how he has achieved with his club for the rest of the season. Ronaldo played just a handful of games with Inter and Real in 2002, but his scoring 8 goals in the WC earned him the Award. Sammer in 96 was just good with his club but was exceptional with Germany, taking them to European glory, and subsequently recdeived the Ball too. Matthaus in 1990 played a discreet season with Inter, but his leadership and his 4 goals in the WC were enough for him to be eligible, when many other players had been more consistent than him over the whole year. The only recent exception to this rule is Van Basten in 92 : Denmark won the Euro that year, but none of their players was enough of a star to be Player of the Year, and that tournament did not see a player from another team clearly emerging above the lot. So they gave it to Super Marco, who had just played his best season ever for Milan and who scored at an average of more than one goal a game from September to December 92.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
ya actually the DP part happened in 2002 when Ronaldo won it,his club achievments were less than zero at the time since he didnt play much with Inter at that year,yet he got the best player in the year award,cuz he led Brazil to thw WC and he was the top goalscorer.
fred u still haven't analysed my hypothetical situation

vedder

Jun 18, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Juventin0 ] ++
I don't liek carlos,Zamb is better Defensivley (+ in offence).

Imagine a player that can play as a right wing + left back!! ---> ZAMBROTTA,+ he plays with both feet! ;)

Forza Zambro

are you naif?

carlos is way better than other left defender in the world.

zambrotta is only a good player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)