Uefa Jubilee - best 50 european players (2 Viewers)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
This is actually for Matto and other Dutch people on here, in Holland is Marco van Basten rated ahead of Cruyff as from my distant viewpoint, I do not think so but I am not sure what you guys think there in Holland. I feel Cruyff stands a better chance to be voted the greatest European player in the last 50 years more than Van Basten does.
Van Basten rated higher than Cruyff? Oh my word no. Cruyff ... he's a living legend, a superstar, an idol, a national hero. You can ridicule our culture, spit on our queen but don't you dare touch Johan Cruyff, you'll be hanged from the first tree in sight.

Marco van Basten, on the other hand, is rated way below him. But still in good company with the likes of Neeskens etc.

But Cruyff ... no, he's something else. When Cruyff speaks, Holland listens and obeys. Even those stubborn fools of the FA.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
mate

mate

Aug 28, 2002
  • Thread Starter #23
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    Yes, I'd expect him to be far too high - one place where an internet vote falls down mate.
    Well... we don't know yet which position will Cruyff have... the cowntdown just arrived at number 46. I said that IMO the winner will be Platinì but is just my impression... than can be Cruyff and that will not surprise me that mutch.

In Italy Van Basten is more popolar than him but as I said the reason why it happened is obvious, Marco played here.
    Than no surprise at all if in Holland "The King" is Cruiff. Every country has their "undiscussed king" and there are always good reasons. Anycase I'm sure that dutch peaple knows dutch players better than italian peaple ;)

P.S.:I am very curious to see how will be Raul rated.Cause IMO he is in the best players of last decade. Maybe I will rate him just after Baggio, Zidane and Ronaldo who are the only 3 who are already world legends.
    He is usually not so considered 4 official awards infact he never won Golden Ball or Fifa world player... let's see if he has more consideration trought common peaple :)

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by mate ] ++

Who of ouers players will be in the 50 in your opinion?
    Maybe Nedved? No clue...
    Nedved wasen't even on the 250 players list. :mad::mad::mad:

My vote goes to le "Roi" Michel Platini.

OP
    mate

mate

Aug 28, 2002
  • Thread Starter #25
    ++ [ originally posted by mark77 ] ++

Nedved wasen't even on the 250 players list. :mad::mad::mad:
    :fero: :fero: :fero:
    Well to be onest it's just few years that he is under the spotlight but it sucks cause next UEFA Jubilee will be in 50 years and Nedved beeing more than 30 right now will not be considered a player of that period too :(

:LOL:'I'd like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona.' - Mark Draper:LOL:

Dec 27, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++

Van Basten rated higher than Cruyff? Oh my word no. Cruyff ... he's a living legend, a superstar, an idol, a national hero. You can ridicule our culture, spit on our queen but don't you dare touch Johan Cruyff, you'll be hanged from the first tree in sight.

Marco van Basten, on the other hand, is rated way below him. But still in good company with the likes of Neeskens etc.

But Cruyff ... no, he's something else. When Cruyff speaks, Holland listens and obeys. Even those stubborn fools of the FA.
    I understand that since Cruyff led the legendary Ajax of the early 70's to European glory he might have left a more profound mark in the hearts of the dutch fans, but from a strictly personal record point of view, Van Basten cannot be rated as just "way below him".

Van Basten dominated the scene in the late 80's/early 90's as much as Cruyff did in his time. Just like the latter became the high priest of Total Football, he defined the canons of the modern centre-forward : physical strength, pace, agility, technical skills and flair.

Cruyff took the Netherlands to the WC final in '74 (unluckily losing it), but his teammates did not suffer his absence 4 years later, as they yet again reached the final (and yet again unluckily lost it).

Van Basten was the protagonist of what remains Holland's highest international achievement : the Euro 88 title (whereas his poor form in WC '90 translated into Holland's early demise from the tournament).

Together with Platini they are the only players to have been awarded the Golden Ball three times, but chances are that "the Swan from Utrecht" would have received at least a fourth one had he not been irremediably crippled by injuries.

Anyway, did Holland listen carefully to Cruyff when he solemnly stated that "the difference between Milan and us is that they bought Dessailly whereas we bought Romario, this will be for all to see" the night before the 1994 CL final between Milan and Barcelona (final score 4-0)? :D

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    I think that Cruyff is the finest player to come out of Holland but Marco is not that far behind either as for me he was the finest player to wear the number9 shirt whilst Cruyff was an all rounder who made his team tick

I feel the best ever European player would be between Cruyff, Beckenbauer and Platini , with maybe Cruyff just edging it

Marco should definitely be in the top 10 if not top 5 while the highest placed Italian might be beween Baggio and Maldini even though my personal preference would be Baresi, the finest defender I ever saw ,in any era.

Highest Englishman would be between Bobbys Charlton and Moore
    Highest Frenchman would be between Zidane and Platini with Platini coming up trumps even though again I feel Zz is the finest I have seen after Maradona and Pele
    Highest Portuguese should be between Figo and Eusebio
    Highest Spanish should be between Luis Suarez, Zubizaretta, Raul and the vulture , Butragueno
    Highest Dane between Michael Laudrup(one of my all time faves) and Schmeichel and probably Alan Simonssen
    Highest scots , Law or Dalglish
    Irish Keano or Brady
    Welsh John Charles n Giggs n prob Rush

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
    I understand that since Cruyff led the legendary Ajax of the early 70's to European glory he might have left a more profound mark in the hearts of the dutch fans, but from a strictly personal record point of view, Van Basten cannot be rated as just "way below him".

Van Basten dominated the scene in the late 80's/early 90's as much as Cruyff did in his time. Just like the latter became the high priest of Total Football, he defined the canons of the modern centre-forward : physical strength, pace, agility, technical skills and flair.
    That's true but in football abilities, Cruyff was stronger. His technique better.

Cruyff took the Netherlands to the WC final in '74 (unluckily losing it), but his teammates did not suffer his absence 4 years later, as they yet again reached the final (and yet again unluckily lost it).
    That's not true. The WC '78 side was a mere shadow from the side four years earlier. In Argentina, we made it to the final because other key countries stayed home due to the questionable regime.

Van Basten was the protagonist of what remains Holland's highest international achievement : the Euro 88 title (whereas his poor form in WC '90 translated into Holland's early demise from the tournament).
    The '90 side imploded. Literally. In 1988, everyone played for eachother, no ego's, no solitude, it was a team. Two years later, that had vanished. It was a loose collection of stars. With or without Marco, they would have failed like that anyway.

Together with Platini they are the only players to have been awarded the Golden Ball three times, but chances are that "the Swan from Utrecht" would have received at least a fourth one had he not been irremediably crippled by injuries.
    Ah, now there's an interesting point. I believe Marco had the potential to beat Cruyff had it not been for the injuries. But as it is, I think he has to admit his superior in Johan.

Anyway, did Holland listen carefully to Cruyff when he solemnly stated that "the difference between Milan and us is that they bought Dessailly whereas we bought Romario, this will be for all to see" the night before the 1994 CL final between Milan and Barcelona (final score 4-0)? :D
    Nice one :D

OP
    mate

mate

Aug 28, 2002
  • Thread Starter #30
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    who are the italians in the list ?
    4 the moment Costacurta, Del Piero and Nesta.
    But there are so many Italians beetwin the 250 candidates, plenty of them 4 every decade so and I'm sure there will be others in the 42 names missing ;)
    IMO at list Zoff, Rivera, Scirea, Baresi, Maldini and Baggio will make it and maybe also somebody else of the WC 82 squad like Tardelli or Rossi. Or who knows maybe also Bettega, let's see...

A new name came out:

43 Stanley Matthews (Eng)

So:

Italy 3 :cool:
    England 2
    Holland 1
    Urss 1
    Spain 1 (and not really Spanish)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Well... we don't know yet which position will Cruyff have... the cowntdown just arrived at number 46.
    I was actually referring to Beckham! Cruijff could be first and I'd not complain.

OP
    mate

mate

Aug 28, 2002
  • Thread Starter #33
    I was actually referring to Beckham! Cruijff could be first and I'd not complain.
    Ok. Yes you are right... I expect Beckham to overtake players than objectly deserve to be before him too... Of course internet pools depends on how many fans a player has and we all know that David is the most popolar at the moment. Yes in those kind of cases internet pools falls down cause players who are at thier top in the moment of the pool are favourite also if considering their whole carear they may not deserve to be in the gratest.
    This pool anycase forced fans to vote 10 players every decade so also players of many years ago will have consideration.
    Anycase I think that in the long distance just players who really deserve still be voted.
    In Beckham case 4 example I think that he is an awsome player but he is a bit overrated by fans cause also if now he is rocking, his carear cannot be already compared with the gratest legends. But IMO he will keep on beeing considered so mutch just if he will really deserve it, and 4 the moment nothing to say he is on the good way, cause it was not easy after a life in Man Ut and EPL to adapt so quicly to Real and Liga. But anycase I think that to have good points 4 comparing David with the gratests we need more time...

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Italy 3 :cool:
    England 2
    Holland 1
    Urss 1
    Spain 1 (and not really Spanish)
    Van Nistelrooy for us, right? Well, if HE is in the list then there should be about 30 more Dutchmen somewhere in there :D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Van Nistelrooy for us, right? Well, if HE is in the list then there should be about 30 more Dutchmen somewhere in there :D
    "Rutgerus Johannes Martinus van Nistelrooij"?

Rutgerus??? :dazed:

No wonder he prefers "Ruud".

OP
    mate

mate

Aug 28, 2002
  • Thread Starter #39

:LOL: I remind you that 4 Italy there are Costacurta and Del Piero in it and when there was the FICG pool 4 the "Italian of ever" they weare so back that they weare not even mentioned :D

I will bet that Italy will be the country with more players :stuckup: :p
    Anycase I'm sure there will be also many Dutchmen ;)

"Rutgerus Johannes Martinus van Nistelrooij"?

Rutgerus??? :dazed:

No wonder he prefers "Ruud".
    :LOL: I didn't know that!

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    RVN!!!!!!! :eek: shocked: :wallbang:

i dont see how he made it to that list. was Has RVN done that Henry or Vieri Havn't done. even DP should be ranked better than RVN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)