Uefa Jubilee - best 50 european players (1 Viewer)

mate

Aug 28, 2002
In occasion of the Jubilee UEFA made a pool to decide the best european players of last 50 years.
They selected 250 (50 for decade) and fans had to choose beetwin tham.
They will make us know the result slowly... one player a day... so the winner will be known just in April.

4 the moment just last 4 came out:

50 Alessandro Costacurta
49 Alessandro Del Piero
48 Josè Santamaria
47 Alessandro Nesta
DP fans will be very happy... players like Vieri, Schevcenko and Henry went out of the first 50...

Who in your opinion will come out to be the best European player?
And who in the bests?
And who do you think wuold have deserved to be in the selection but was left out?

P.S.: you will find all the names and the informations in UEFA website www.uefa.com

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
mate

mate

Aug 28, 2002
  • Thread Starter #2
    IMO

The best schould be beetwin Platinì, Baggio, Van Basten and Zidane and I will bet Le Roi will be the one to make it.

Who I think schould be mentioned and weare forgotten are Buffon and Totti; in the last decade there are IMO a lot of players who are way less good than tham...

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    mate i think neither buffon nor totti did a great deal in european club competition. however they are young and have time, so i hope to see them both do well in the future.

btw i cant find the list of the 50 on the site

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by mate ] ++
    IMO

The best schould be beetwin Platinì, Baggio, Van Basten and Zidane and I will bet Le Roi will be the one to make it.
    That's very Italian! There's more to Europe than Serie A you know? ;)

49 Alessandro Del Piero
    And yet there are no angry reactions posted yet... :undecide:;)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
    Thinking of Cruijff and Neeskins, et al, eh?

The top any number of players will be somthing between subjective and utter rubbish. I pay no attention to them.

Oh well, I guess that they expect the rest of the team to be in the top ten anyway. ;)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    Thinking of Cruijff and Neeskins, et al, eh?
    Very much so, yes. :angel:

The top any number of players will be somthing between subjective and utter rubbish. I pay no attention to them.
    That's true. That's the sad thing about polls like these.

Oh well, I guess that they expect the rest of the team to be in the top ten anyway. ;)
    You just wait, if Totti or Inzaghi are to finish higher ... you better put on your helmet and bullet proof vest ;)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    You just wait, if Totti or Inzaghi are to finish higher ... you better put on your helmet and bullet proof vest ;)
    My finest screensaver just went into operation. ;)

OP
    mate

mate

Aug 28, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    ++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    btw i cant find the list of the 50 on the site
    Go to http://www.uefa.com/uefa/jubilee/index.html and than click the banner in the bottom with "Europe's top 50 players" ;)
    But they just say one player a day so the countdown 4 knowing the bests will be very slow...

That's natural from me ;)

Why angry reaction? Del Piero entered the 50 while players like Schevcenko, Henry and Vieri didn't... His fans made surely a good job on voting him ;)

OP
    mate

mate

Aug 28, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    Who of ouers players will be in the 50 in your opinion?
    Maybe Nedved? No clue...

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    That's natural from me ;)
    I know. Same here - I voted for every Dutchman I could find :D

Why angry reaction? Del Piero entered the 50 while players like Schevcenko, Henry and Vieri didn't... His fans made surely a good job on voting him ;)
    There's usually a comment or two saying he "should have ended higher than this guy or that guy"

OP
    mate

mate

Aug 28, 2002
  • Thread Starter #11

I know. Same here - I voted for every Dutchman I could find :D

He he... I guess I had more material to vote for in that selection :D ;)
    Anycase I voted also 4 not Italians, but yes maynly 4 who played in serie A cause they are more familiar to me. :)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Yes, I know what you mean. I tended to vote for Eredivisie players as well - simply because the Eredivisie coverage is eternally better in this country than coverage of any other league and so I know those players better.

Players like Litmanen etc.

PS. Actually, the place was absolutely crowded with Dutchmen :undecide: Very weird, considering UEFA's obsession with everything French...

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    IMO

Who I think schould be mentioned and weare forgotten are Buffon and Totti; in the last decade there are IMO a lot of players who are way less good than tham...
    Excuse me how and why would Baggio be voted th best European in the last 50 years? He might win the best Italian and all the silly internet votes but for proper selection he would do well to be in the top 10. If you said in the last 20 years then probably, I would say yes Baggio would be in the top 3 or 5 but 50- years, we are talking about players he should be behind like Cruyff, Van Basten, Beckenbauer, Puskas, Di Stepano(well he did play for Spain so I don't know if he is regarded as spanish),Yashin,Eusebio, Zz, Platini, Baresi, Maldini, Best, Moore and Michael Laudrup but I have the feeling this is some sort of internet vote which style comes ahead of substance. Before you go on some silly rant and rampage , the playes I mentioned are exceptional players who not just combined individual talent with team talent , they also inspired thier countries or clubs to triumphs not just personal glory

OP
    mate

mate

Aug 28, 2002
  • Thread Starter #15
    Almost all the players you mentioned deserve a place in the bests European, but Baggio also. It can never be so objectiive to compare players of different eras and roles but Baggio is 100% one of the players who can be elected the best European. Than if somebody like Platinì or Cruiff or Van Basten will be ahead him I will have nothing to say.
    I know you hate it, but Baggio is 100% one of the bests Europen players ever. You cannot do anything about it, so I hope you will not start your number 10000000000 antiBaggio cruciate. Everybody knows already your thoughts... but in this case your voice do not count couse Baggio is considered one of the gratest trought all the world. Than he has haters like you (all the players have) but they will never change history cause they will always be a small minority.
    If Baggio was voted in the FIFA pool the third world player ever 4 fans and seventh from FIFA members is normal he has chance to win this UEFA Jubilee, but of course there are many players who has the same chances, especially Platinì who IMO will win.

OP
    mate

mate

Aug 28, 2002
  • Thread Starter #16
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    I have the feeling this is some sort of internet vote which style comes ahead of substance.
    Internet votes are IMO sometimes more realible than "jurys votes" cause everybody can express his opinion and cause when thousends of peaple does it gives more an average on who "the world" consider the best than when just few peaple does.
    Anycase usually the "peaple" and "expert" thoughts do not differ that mutch...

The only problem is that internetters are usually kinda young so recents players are favourite but in this particolar pool the players weare divided in decades so every fan had to vote 4 different decades.

Example: I could vote Baggio, ZZ, Platinì, Van Basten, Eusebio... I had different choices 4 every decade.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    This is actually for Matto and other Dutch people on here, in Holland is Marco van Basten rated ahead of Cruyff as from my distant viewpoint, I do not think so but I am not sure what you guys think there in Holland. I feel Cruyff stands a better chance to be voted the greatest European player in the last 50 years more than Van Basten does.

OP
    mate

mate

Aug 28, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    I wuold say Van Basten, but of course it is a sobjetive opinion... I know him better cause of my age and cause he played in serie A. But maybe you're right, also cause in the selections of previous decades the competition is lower cause not all the players are famos like in the last decades 4 younger peaple.
    4 Italy I think also Rivera and especially Zoff have good chances maybe not to win but to get a good position.

Anycase I also think that this "best ever" competitions can't be taken too seriously cause is impossible to compare different eras players but if you look there are 10/15 names who never miss when speacking about the gratest soccer legends. And IMO is ridicolous to come out saying that one of tham was not so grate, ecc... ecc... if they are considered from all the world beetwin the bests it means that they are, cause at end this the only way to judge, and couse one single voice count zero against thousends. 4 example I haven't followed Eusebio or players his age but I just accept the fact that they weare grate cause who I am to say that all the world is crazy to value tham so mutch? :groan:

An other thing: IMO this UEFA Jubilee will have different results from the "millennium player" made by UEFA cause of course here votes came especially from European fans while there came also from Asia, South America, ecc... and of course what they see of European players is maynly WC while in this pool will count also European cups.
    Example: Is normal that 4 "all the world peaple" Baggio came before Platinì cause in WC he schows better things than Le Roi while considering European championschips and cups it happened exately the opposite cause Roby schows his best in serie A and in the WC while (except 1993, infact he won the Golden ball) he never partecipate to an EURO and often missed in Europen cups. So "europen peaple" may have different opinions, and consider Platinì ahead him. That's why is impossible to have a "definitive" choice...

The group of the best 10/15 anycase will not have big surprises IMO the names will be always the same... the only player who can be a new entry may be David Beckham, let's see...

Those the players who came out this days:

46: Gary Lineker (Eng)
    45: Valentin Ivanov (Urss)
    44: Ruud Van Nistelrooij (Net)

Italy is leading 4 the moment, with already 3 players ;)

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    This is actually for Matto and other Dutch people on here, in Holland is Marco van Basten rated ahead of Cruyff as from my distant viewpoint, I do not think so but I am not sure what you guys think there in Holland. I feel Cruyff stands a better chance to be voted the greatest European player in the last 50 years more than Van Basten does.
    so do i.i think i can safely say that cruyff created a whole new brand of football.his ability to envision and create such a beautiful style of exciting,flowing football mystifies him as a player. his ability to play almost anywhere is also a belief of his in the big picture he painted that is Total Football.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)