UEFA Coefficient (4 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
True, but mine was more uplifting :angel:
I love Juve, but I also love Serie A, and all the great players that have come through and the countless memories. I just don't want it to be simply that though. Memories.

Things have to change. Smaller teams can't be given the impression that there is no hope for them. They can't be ok with the fact that they are perceived or have resigned themselves to the thought of being a "Feeder" team to the bigger clubs. larger teams can't spend money as soon as they get it under the premise that it will always be there. There must be more home grown talent on all clubs, even if that home grown talent is not of Italian blood.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
I love Juve, but I also love Serie A, and all the great players that have come through and the countless memories. I just don't want it to be simply that though. Memories.

Things have to change. Smaller teams can't be given the impression that there is no hope for them. They can't be ok with the fact that they are perceived or have resigned themselves to the thought of being a "Feeder" team to the bigger clubs. larger teams can't spend money as soon as they get it under the premise that it will always be there. There must be more home grown talent on all clubs, even if that home grown talent is not of Italian blood.
All things Juve are doing, the home grown bit will take time.

I love serie A too, and im very excited about the next 2-3 years because Juve is about to re-ivent italian football, this time we are the saviours, i'm not being big headed but we heralding in a new age, next mercato we will probably see a good player and a marqee name but also youngster like marrone and daud, ariaudo being brought up properly and supplemented with great youth from around the world a la Yago/Ekdal and that new buffon guy.

Things are changing, not quick enough for the good of the whole, but at just the right pace for Juve, as originators we will be able to have a monopoly on the new serie A and Europe for decades to come.

I predict that in 10-15 years Juve will be at least top 3 in every respect , revenue, fans,success etc.

Serie A will do well this year, better than last year, but we are moving forward quicker than the rest of the league.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I'm not worried about Juventus and how they are handling things. Essentially being the flag bearers for the way a club can be run responsibly, consitently, and more important than that, successfully and profitable.

that was never my concern.

My concern is that this should have happened league wide, ages ago, and now that the league could be on the precipice of a disaster, does the the federation now react accordingly.

I guess its just frustration on my part at the absolute stubborness of some of these teams in the league at their appaling lack of self preservation.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
The big leagues tend to need a kick in the backside to make changes.

English football was, by all accounts, going the same way as Italian football is just now in the mid to late eighties. However, Heysel (and the subsequent European ban) and Hillsborough (and the Taylor Report which followed) resulted in English football being cleaned up.

Stadiums were improved, so crowds went up, so clubs got more money, so the football became more attractive. Then SKY was attracted to it and we see how things are today.

Calciopoli was enough for Juve to get things sorted and hopefully the rest of the league will follow our example.

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
In the event we do finish 4th, would it not be nice to still be able to compete in the CL?

Also, "the good of serie a" arguement definitely applies whether you like it or not. A stronger league (one that does well in Europe) attracts more viewers, which in turn brings in more money from sponsors, broadcasters, etc. That money lines the pocket of our club as well.

Losing a CL space does no good for the overall health of the league, which is important for the reason I stated above. The 3 teams who do qualify would receive more "market pool" money from UEFA, but that will result in the gap between Juve and the competition becoming even bigger. A competitive league also attracts more ppl, and therefore more money.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Its the f--king Uefa Cup what is ruining everything here. Spain only have 2 clubs who do well in CL (play regularly in CL), but Sevilla winning back to back Uefa cups surely helped to boost the ratings.

Now Germany is on Italy`s tale again with Uefa cup success, German clubs havent done sh-t in CL for years.

Uefa should give less rating points for Uefa cup success.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Snoop, as much as people want to make it about Juve, it isn't all about them. Its about the overall health of Serie A.

What concerns me about teams such as Milan and Fiorentina for example, is how they have used their recent Champions league appearances to "make or break" their financial security. If teams are that dependant on a single tournament for them to stay afloat as a solvent and relevant club, then there are far greater concerns at hand.

Milan doesn't qualify for the CL, they are forced to sell Kaka away and replace him with nobody. Fiorentina makes the CL this year, and basically state that now they can spend money.

To me, counting on a tournament to finance your team is financial suicide. This is what happened with Juve several years ago. They became so dependent on this money that they basically had to start all over again. From missing a tournament for a couple of seasons? Really? That was the sign of a team that got itself into a huge mess, much like you are seeing with Milan at the moment.

Its bad business, and the points that I made in my previous post are legitimate reasons why, in my opinion.

Now thankfully, Juve were forced to pull back the purse strings a little and operate more sensibly, much like the way they are doing it now. And that's great for them, and for us as their supporters. But unless there is a serious change in how things are done in Italy, its going to end up being Inter and Juve as the big fish in a little pond. I don't want to see that happen. I would like to see a league that is healthy, where any number of teams can realistically challenge for a title and for trophies, in Italy and in europe.

You may think I'm exaggerating, but I've seen signs like this before in other sports, and its a sobering sight.

Lega Calcio, being reactive instead of pro-active, have at least started to put the wheels in motion with the sharing of television revenue. People may not like it, and it might hurt in the short term, but overall it will be a benefit to the entire league. It is up to the owners of the smaller teams to take that money and re-invest in the clubs, and invest wisely. There should be a requirement for those teams to spend a percentage of said revenue on the team itslef, not just put it under a mattress and hope for the best.
I understand your concerns, I thought like this too couple of years ago, in the end we both agree that Serie A teams shouldn't be this dependent of UEFA's money to make success.

I believe Italian football is in rise, put Roma and Milan aside, all the teams started to improve. Fiorentina, Napoli, Palermo, Genoa and Lazio. They are improving step by step, from these teams only Fiorentina got the benefit of CL's money. The rest are spending very wisely. And It's the federation and the government need to react if they want to improve this league, like the TV deals you mentioned, and most importantly reducing the ridiculous wage's taxes. Then the owners and directors should start investing wisely and bringing the right coaches and have some patience with them. This is how Serie A will rise, I adore what Genoa and Napoli are doing, specially Genoa. They made a super team after selling two key players, and also Napoli, very good directing by the owners, they kept saying that they are not aiming for Champions league football so soon, step by step, they want to play there when they are ready. Unlike the stupid ex Parma and Lazio and even Roma's way, to get as much as debt possible and live the success for a short moment, then going back to zero. Serie A is still paying for that. But this year and the previous, I believe Serie A started to rise again, and has a bright future.

The competition is Serie A is much better than Spain, Spain don't have teams like Milan, Roma, Lazio, Genoa, Fiorentina other than the two title contenders (Juve and Inter comparing with Barcelona and Inter).. The quality and the competition is much better in Serie A. And if they keep on spending wisely, they don't UEFA's money to stay like that.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
We're Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Oh, so now people are beginning to care about the lack of success of Italian teams.

Go back to my post history on this subject. My stance has always remained the same ever since I've been here, and long before that.

Whenever it has had ANYTHING to do with the financial stability of the league, I have always been concerned about it

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Yeah, and I'm sure you got a lot of ridicule for it. They thought it would never be a problem, but this can be bad for Juve too. As if finishing outside the top 2 is impossible for us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)