U.S. Soccer (14 Viewers)

OP
Enron

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,901
    Oh and we're a completely different team without McBride. Instead of running the offense through McBride like we used to we use Donovan and Dempsey on the wings and have them link up with a speedy forward (used to be Charlie Davies, now we have the dilemma).

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    I see one of Jermaine Jones or Javi Torres getting cut with the conservative Bob Bradley as manager. He generally sticks with his regular core of players he chooses throughout his tenure, tossing aside more skillful players for those that he prefers from a very subjective point of view. That's why you see Mikey Bradley and Brian Ching in the team no matter what they do, because rampant nepotism and absurd player loyalties rule the land.

Apart from Mikey Bradley, Clark, Feilhaber and company, you also have Kyle Beckerman available -- a player whom I like, does a neat job in central midfield, but isn't the sort of player Jones is. I can Bob Bradley choosing the former over the latter, just because one played in the Gold Cup while the other was injured in Germany. That's just how it goes with this manager and his player biases.

Cunningham and Findley are both rather potent bundles of dynamite, but I still see Ching being selected as the primary man to partner Jozy up top. Bradley sticks with what he knows for most of the time, and with Ching taking captaincy in the Gold Cup final, expect him to play. It's obvious we need pace up top during counters to win, but Bob isn't the sort of guy to make logical coaching decisions. After all, we lost out on Subotic because of his stubbornness.

Oh, and the left-back problem is easily solved, yet nobody knows it. Switch Bocanegra, the original LB, out there in Bornstein's place. Play Gooch with one of DeMerit or Conrad.

But Bob has a fetish for MLS players. Just look at his history.

Jul 12, 2002
    We'll probably go with Altidore, but Davies (our best forward) is very unlikely to even be kicking a ball by the WC. Jozy is really talented and getting a successful run at Hull City. The question is whether we depend on him to shoulder the striking load in a 4-3-3 or do we keep with out 4-4-2 and pair him up with Donovan or a faster untested striker such as Jeff Cunningham (led MLS in scoring) or Robbie Findley (team won MLS). Both have been called up for the pre WC camp. Cunningham is training with Auxerre at the moment and looks the most likely to replace Davies.

What we don't need is to rely on Brian Ching and Conor Casey to score.
    Do you think that Altidore can play target man? I know he's got the ball skills, but I don't see his aerial ability being up to par...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    He can play as a targetman, and is better at it than Brian Ching. The latter can't dribble around opponents like Jozy can. Thus he can hold up the ball better, too.

OP
    Enron

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,905
    Do you think that Altidore can play target man? I know he's got the ball skills, but I don't see his aerial ability being up to par...
    The majority of Joxy's goals for the NT have come in the air. He's rather big for a striker with his speed and technical skill. When we had Davies, we played Jozy as the target man (McBride role) and used Davies speed to play off that. It drove teams crazy, ask Spain.

Jul 12, 2002
    Oh, and the left-back problem is easily solved, yet nobody knows it. Switch Bocanegra, the original LB, out there in Bornstein's place. Play Gooch with one of DeMerit or Conrad.

But Bob has a fetish for MLS players. Just look at his history.
    I don't think that's a good idea. Bocanegra doesn't have the legs for that anymore. Trust me, if I've learned anything from watching Holland lose in the WC, it's that slow fullbacks are the worst thing you can bring to that tournament. I think that the left-back position should be played by Heath Pearce. I've always been impressed by him, in the NT.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    Altidore? Ball skills?

Thats now what i've seen of him in Hull. He strikes me as a striker that depends primarily on his physical abilities. He's strong, he's extremely fast, he's got a good jump and he's good in the air. But IMO he isn't really that good technically.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    I don't think that's a good idea. Bocanegra doesn't have the legs for that anymore. Trust me, if I've learned anything from watching Holland lose in the WC, it's that slow fullbacks are the worst thing you can bring to that tournament. I think that the left-back position should be played by Heath Pearce. I've always been impressed by him, in the NT.
    Bocanegra has played his best games for us at left-back, IMO.

While Heath is pretty good going forward, I think his defensive abilities are lacking a bit. But I do think he's a better player than Bornstein.

Altidore? Ball skills?

Thats now what i've seen of him in Hull. He strikes me as a striker that depends primarily on his physical abilities. He's strong, he's extremely fast, he's got a good jump and he's good in the air. But IMO he isn't really that good technically.
    Jozy has shown lots of skill on the ball against sides in CONCACAF, even against the good ones like Costa Rica and Mexico. Matter of fact, he was dribbling around the former with ease, creating chance after chance for himself.

He certainly has the skill, but doesn't get as much time on the ball in the Prem. I think he'd do better in Spain.

OP
    Enron

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,911
    Sounds like a no-brainer, why not move Donovan or Demspey or even Davy Arnaud for that speed role?
    Arnaud? Are you serious? Talk about a name drop.

Dempsey is too slow and Donovan has been killing it on the left flank.

OP
    Enron

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,912
    Altidore? Ball skills?

You need to watch him for the NT. He's actually not that fast, granted he does have speed but not like Donovan. Davies was way faster and more technically sound. But Jozy does have technical ability, he just isn't used to the physicality of the EPL. Look at his goal against Spain.

OP
    Enron

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,913
    Bocanegra has played his best games for us at left-back, IMO.

While Heath is pretty good going forward, I think his defensive abilities are lacking a bit. But I do think he's a better player than Bornstein.
    Heath is better than Bornstien, but Carlos has way more experience and is our captain. Plus he plays out left for his club team.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    The best system we have is using Donovan on the left flank cutting in and Dempsey on the right in a straight 4-4-2. It's not a coincidence that the formation is very, very simple and we get our best results with it.

OP
    Enron

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,915
    That is because it keeps the ball in the hands of our two best players and away from our shitty central midfield.

My money is on Jeff Cunningham to step it up.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Either Cunningham or Findley. Personally, I prefer the latter.

But as I've always said, if Ching is available and healthy, it will be him that partners Jozy. And also, notice how fucking Eddie Johnson has gotten a cap recently.

We'll see the call ups for the friendlies in the coming months.

OP
    Enron

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,918
    US NT January Training Camp:

Bradley names U.S. training camp roster for January
    Associated Press
    December 22, 2009

CHICAGO -- Aarhus midfielder Benny Feilhaber and Valerenga goalkeeper Troy Perkins were among five players based in Scandinavia invited to a U.S. training camp next month ahead of a World Cup warmup match against Honduras.

Twenty-five players from Major League Soccer were asked to the camp, which opens Jan. 4 at Carson, Calif. The MLS contingent includes goalkeeper Kevin Hartman; defenders Jonathan Bornstein, Jimmy Conrad, Chad Marshall and Heath Pearce; midfielders Kyle Beckerman, Sacha Kljestan and Robbie Rogers; and forwards Conor Casey and Robbie Findley.

Nine players who have never appeared for the national team were called in, including seven who have never been to a training camp: defenders Kevin Alston, Omar Gonzalez and Brandon McDonald; midfielders Alejandro Bedoya and Chris Pontius; and forwards Justin Braun and Marcus Tracy.

"This is the start of six months of preparations for the World Cup, and it is important that we get started off heading in the right direction," U.S. coach Bob Bradley said. "We have had the chance to work with many of these players through their time with the national team, while others performed well for their clubs throughout last season and have earned this opportunity. We are continuing to evaluate the player pool as we move forwards finalizing our roster for this summer."

The U.S. plays fellow World Cup qualifier Honduras on Jan. 23 at Carson and hopes to meet Mexico at home the following month. A roster that more resembles the World Cup team will be used for the March 3 exhibition at the Netherlands.

The Americans open their sixth straight World Cup appearance against England on June 12, play Slovenia six days later and close the first round on June 23 against Algeria.

The full training camp roster:

Goalkeepers: Kevin Hartman (Kansas City), Troy Perkins (Valerenga, Norway), Nick Rimando (Salt Lake), Zach Thornton (Chivas USA)

Defenders: Kevin Alston (New England), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City), Omar Gonzalez (Los Angeles), Clarence Goodson (IK Start, Norway), Chad Marshall (Columbus), Brandon McDonald (San Jose), Heath Pearce (Dallas), Marvell Wynne (Toronto)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Orebro, Sweden), Geoff Cameron (Houston), Brad Davis (Houston), Brad Evans (Seattle), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus, Denmark), Eddie Gaven (Columbus), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas), Jeff Larentowicz (New England), Dax McCarty (Dallas), Chris Pontius (D.C.), Robbie Rogers (Columbus)

Forwards: Justin Braun (Chivas USA), Conor Casey (Colorado), Jeff Cunningham (Dallas), Robbie Findley (Salt Lake), Marcus Tracy (Aalborg, Denmark)

Looks like a last chance for some unproven MLS players and a decent chance for Cunningham and Findley to prove their merit.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Good to see Omar Gonzalez in there, the 2009 MLS Rookie of the Year. He's pretty damn good and probably better than both Goodson and Marshall, so at least Bob got this right (as if he's such a tough talent to spot :lol: ).

OP
    Enron

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,920
    Gonzalez is a great talent and young as well. Surprised Bob saw him. I fully expected Alexi Lalas to get a call up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)