U.S. Soccer (7 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
swag said:
I agree with Reyna's contributions over his whole career ... he definitely should be commended for raising the bar all around.

But I am actually a little less concerned than you about his replacement for future WCs. Granted, there's more to it than one player of course. But if you look at the USA's WC match record where Reyna is a starter, the picture is very, very different. I believe the 2-0 win over Mexico is the only match the U.S. has ever won where Reyna has started (I think the U.S. has been 1-7-2 when he starts in a WC match). That's one statistic we definitely have to improve upon for future players who replace him.

The good news is that this country is finally getting a taste of the disappointment and head-rolling all contending teams go through with each WC. This, in itself, is progress ... much more over the thinking of it requiring a miracle to advance out of the group stage. Expectations are higher, and only good things come from building on that for a developing national team.
While you're correct about Reyna's record in the World Cup, one still has to take these statistics with a grain of salt because afterall there are lies and statistics. During Reyna's career with the United States, we have only won two World Cup matches anyway, so every one of our better players during this period does not have an amazing record. Reyna was on the bench for the Portugal win in 2002 due to injury, and as you said his only win came against Mexico in the same tournament. Looking at the history of our national team, I would have to say there is anything but a "Reyna curse."

The guy was the only genius we had in our squad. Without Reyna we will be without a team without a quarterback and have to rely on our promising attacking midfielders to get the job done. What I'm worried about is the role that is now a hole by the retirement of Claudio; the player who is the link between the defense and attack who really controls our rhythm. As we saw against Italy last week, his contributions were absolutely crucial. But now we will have to rely on the hard running destroyers of Olsen and Mastroeni until another midfield genius pops up in our system?

Danny Szetela? Hmm.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
gray said:
Can anyone tell me more about Bobby Convey than Google can? He was, for me, one of the bright sparks in the ridiculous Italy-USA match, and it was sad to see him taken off.
Bobby Convey used to be a DC United player who is now holding down the left flank for the newly-promoted Reading Football Club. He's a quick winger who has suddenly found his confidence and his feet after running at Football Championship players for a season and half now. Convey is good with the ball at his feet and likes to take on defenders, however his crossing could be in some need of improvement. He was originally going to sign for Tottenham, however he could not obtain a work permit and ended up at Reading after another year where he is turning into one of the best players for the US.

Just goes to show how fucking crucial it is for our players to play abroad. That means you have to say no to pussies, right Landon Donovan?

BFC82

Oct 24, 2003
Couldnt help notice that you left off Donovan your list Andy. He is the NT captain now, and I have faith in him. He failed abroad but he still young and can still improve him game. I think the biggest obstacle is mental with him.

As for Convey, I agree that he has a bright future ahead of him. He and beasley will have to fight it out for that LW slot.

The US has a good core of players, and with the MLS growing stronger each year and more players going on to bigger leagues, the sport has not reached its full potential here.
Think about, it was only after 1990 WC when a bunch of college kids took on the world stage that US has began to take soccer a little more serious. And much to Mexico's disgust (and my delight), we are #1 in the CONCACAF.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
BFC82 said:
Couldnt help notice that you left off Donovan your list Andy. He is the NT captain now, and I have faith in him. He failed abroad but he still young and can still improve him game. I think the biggest obstacle is mental with him.
I won't ever forgive him for pussying out in Germany. And yes, he did pussy out, because as soon as he came back, you could tell he did not even try to excel while at Leverkusen. The guy said he only wanted to be with his family and the sunny beaches of California, so his development as a football player was of least importance. That's just unacceptable in my eyes.

To be honest, if I was the new coach of our National Team, Donovan would be last on my list for captaincy and on the bench for the other, more ambitious players to take the field. He might be talented, however his performances lately have been horrendous and similar to that of a choke artist. Dempsey and Convey have more potential than Landy as far as I'm concerned. If Donovan is the poster boy of American soccer, we are absolutely fucked. A pussy as a poster boy? No wonder everybody from Leno to Tifoso Lou makes fun of us.

BFC82

Oct 24, 2003
Andy said:
I won't ever forgive him for pussying out in Germany. And yes, he did pussy out, because as soon as he came back, you could tell he did not even try to excel while at Leverkusen. The guy said he only wanted to be with his family and the sunny beaches of California, so his development as a football player was of least importance. That's just unacceptable in my eyes.

To be honest, if I was the new coach of our National Team, Donovan would be last on my list for captaincy and on the bench for the other, more ambitious players to take the field. He might be talented, however his performances lately have been horrendous and similar to that of a choke artist. Dempsey and Convey have more potential than Landy as far as I'm concerned. If Donovan is the poster boy of American soccer, we are absolutely fucked. A pussy as a poster boy? No wonder everybody from Leno to Tifoso Lou makes fun of us.

When he moved to Leverkusen, he was very yound 19-20? I know its not an excuse, but moving to a foreign land with no understanding of the language and culture would bring anyone down. I believe he should have been stronger, like I said before...he is mentally weak.

I believe Donovan could make a goood captain if he grows up and matures into a professional. He needs to get out of the MLS, he is developed already and make a name for himself in a European League.

Would you still keep reyna as coach though?
What kind of midfielder is Dempsey? I thought he was a DM but he seems to play like an AM. I really, really have high hopes for him, he should be a starter from now on.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
BFC82 said:

As for Convey, I agree that he has a bright future ahead of him. He and beasley will have to fight it out for that LW slot.

The US has a good core of players, and with the MLS growing stronger each year and more players going on to bigger leagues, the sport has not reached its full potential here.
Think about, it was only after 1990 WC when a bunch of college kids took on the world stage that US has began to take soccer a little more serious. And much to Mexico's disgust (and my delight), we are #1 in the CONCACAF.

i think he's highly overrated, even in the mls he looked rather average. he should have gone to ajax wen he had the chance, they wud of developed him into a decent player i recon.

BFC82

Oct 24, 2003
I think a midtable EPL team may suit Donovan. Somewhere the pressure may not be so great and he can adjust to the league better. Unfortunately, I have not kept up with his MLS stats this season, but I am going to go watch him when the Galaxy come to Houston.

Landy cakes is the spark we need in the NT, when he has a bad day it seems like our attack dwindles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)